Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cleaning your motorcycle helmet visor (to remove bugs and such) do you use paper towels or do you find they make scratches in your visor?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Paper towels can scratch....I use a microfiber and quick detail to clean mine and no scratches.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've been using my gloves when I ride. lmao. I cant ride with bug guts covering half my shield. But when I'm not lazy and do decide to clean it at home, I use paper towels. I didn't know they scratch. I've been too scared to use windex so I've just been using water. And it got really cold the past few nights. It sucks b/c I have to breathe very lightly or else I fog up my shield. PITA.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
paper towels and toilet paper are made from wood pulp...so yes..they scratch like a mofo....i cleaned my windscreen with a paper towel one time before i realized what i was doin..even today there are a zillion almost microscopic swirls in ut that you can see when looking at it and the light hits it just right

anything cotton thats clean will work..i use lint free cotton cloths..microfiber works too

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
ALL paper products contain microscopic wood fibers that WILL scratch your visor.
You won't notice it right away because the scratches are also microscopic. However they ARE CUMULATIVE and in no time at all your visor will be scratched to hell and unusable.
Soft cloth or microfiber is the only thing that should touch your clear plasics.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Microfiber and no-rinse car wash for me. Typically I carry a small eyeglass cleaner bottle full that I make myself using Optimum No Rinse (ONR). I do the same thing for the car & bike to clean off any bird bombs as soon as I find them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
....i cleaned my windscreen with a paper towel one time before i realized what i was doin..even today there are a zillion almost microscopic swirls in ut that you can see when looking at it and the light hits it just right
That explains it... I have a tinted visor for day riding and a clear one for night. Went out last week for my first night ride & I was struggling to see clearly--starbursts with every oncoming car's headlights. :mad: I thought it was just me not being used to riding the bike at night/the helmet/some moisture from fog, my wet hair, humidity?... a thousand other things then microscopic scratches on the visor. :confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
microfiber for the win. My last helmet (Scorpion EXO1000) i ruined the visor cleaning with paper towel and also just banging it around when off bike. Wasnt too bad in day light but made night riding a pain. Never used the helmet bags that come with helmets but started to this year. Got a new Shoei RF1100 last xmas and want to keep this looking new as long as i can.

After 500km of riding this past weekend i must have washed off 2 gallons of bugs/guts off the helmet. And no sooner that i wiped off the bugs one splatts dead centre of the visor (again)

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Clean microfiber and warm water for me. Soak the microfiber and let it sit on the visor for a while if the bugs have dried out a lot. Only chemical that has touched my visor is rain-x.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I only use a soft cotton washcloth with hot water for ours. Plus whatever shield I'm not using stays in the microfiber shield bag I got with the helmet and shields.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been using my gloves when I ride. lmao. I cant ride with bug guts covering half my shield. But when I'm not lazy and do decide to clean it at home, I use paper towels. I didn't know they scratch. I've been too scared to use windex so I've just been using water. And it got really cold the past few nights. It sucks b/c I have to breathe very lightly or else I fog up my shield. PITA.
Have you tried the Pinlock visor inserts? They are the best antifog solution I've found. Later this year, their Protectint line will be in production. It adjusts its color to the sunlight.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I actually have to wash and wax our cars and I guess our bikes now too. I'm gonna pick up a pack of microfiber rags at Walmart. I always carry my clear shield in the shield bag I bought. I always have both in case I am out late or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts