Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is a list of the gear that I have bought or was given to me. Please let me know if this is safe/good enough gear. What should I think about upgrading soon or in the next couple of years?

Helmet: AFX - FX90 Full Face helmet.

Jacket: Joe Rocket - Atomic 4.0

Gloves: Olympia - Leather, Stealth Black (with vibration absorbing gel pads)

Pants: Olympia - Air Glide 3

Boots: Tourmaster - Solution WP Air 2.0

I feel well protected in this stuff and I know that there is "room to grow", like I could swap out the stiff foam pad in the Joe Rocket jacket for a CE back protector. The "hip protectors" in the pants have about enough density to protect a can of soda, so perhaps I could swap those out someday too?

Also the Helmet is old and I'll probably need to get a new one. But for right now, I'd just like to get some feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can never over do gear. having said that, good gear is expensive. Use what you have and upgrade as you can afford to do so. One piece at a time if thats what it takes. The main thing is you have a full set of gear to start with. I've leart the hard way that it is best to save up and get good quality the first time. I would prioritize your head and vital organs first (good quality helmet and leather jacket).

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Ok here is a list of the gear that I have bought or was given to me. Please let me know if this is safe/good enough gear. What should I think about upgrading soon or in the next couple of years?

Helmet: AFX - FX90 Full Face helmet.

Jacket: Joe Rocket - Atomic 4.0

Gloves: Olympia - Leather, Stealth Black (with vibration absorbing gel pads)

Pants: Olympia - Air Glide 3

Boots: Tourmaster - Solution WP Air 2.0

I feel well protected in this stuff and I know that there is "room to grow", like I could swap out the stiff foam pad in the Joe Rocket jacket for a CE back protector. The "hip protectors" in the pants have about enough density to protect a can of soda, so perhaps I could swap those out someday too?

Also the Helmet is old and I'll probably need to get a new one. But for right now, I'd just like to get some feedback. Thanks!
Definitely a new helmet should be at the top of your list in terms of replacement priority. When buying a new helmet, proper fit is the most important factor to consider... fancy graphics being the least important consideration. That said, IMO a brightly colored helmet will go a long way towards being seen by other drivers on the road... white, bright yellow, hi-vis yellow, orange are all good color choices. Black, grey, and silver helmets are almost invisible to other drivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips...

Yes, I will now prioritize helmet replacement in a month or so. Now that the riding season is coming to a close, I may be able to get a deal on a helmet. Reading some of the comments about helmets here, I plan on dropping a good chunk of money on one (Say between $250-350). Sure my bike shop had some helmets selling for $79.99 but I'm not sure I could put my full faith in something like that for the next 5 years. :confused:

I thought my Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 textile Jacket was decent quality. It's made from 600D Cordura? I think. CE shoulder and elbow pads. It certainly felt more substantial than the Fly mesh jackets and the Icon Hooligan that I tried out.

Perhaps the next thing that I would like to work on would be the gloves. The current ones are good for around town stuff, but If I fell they would protect my hands from abrasion and that is about it.

One downside to all my equipment: Everything that was available to me was black. I like my JR jacket but I couldn't get it in the other colors, bike shop just had black. So I'm black head to toe and my bike is black too ( I swear I was shopping for a Tri-color but this deal was too good to pass up). The one downside to the JR jacket, it is not very reflective at all. I'm thinking about getting some 3m reflective tape and sticking it on or sewing it on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shop around for a high vis vest. They are pretty quick to throw on. I had one before I sprung for a high vis jacket and it worked well for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 on the high vis vest. I started wearing one when I worked on a military base (it's required), and soon figured out why. Anything you can do to be seen helps. Now I use mine all the time... Until I can spring for a high vis jacket anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that comfort is as important as protection.
Too hot, cold or wet make for uncomfortable rider who is more likely to make an error.
Your gear is fine unless you want to road race (on a track) then go full leather my friend.

·
Registered
601 Posts
IMO if you have to ask then your not truly comfortable with your gear.

When I started riding there was no helmet law saying you had to wear a helmet, so of course I didnt wear one at all times. I look back on those days and thank God that he was watching over my young dumb butt.

I bought textile pants and jacket, the first little spill they got ripped up. I went to full leather riding gear and never had a problem with them, even in my worst accident only minor scratches on my skin, pain and discomfort a different story. I do not wear my leather gear at all times, I know I should but I do not. However my head is fully protected at all times.

I would say once you get all your gear on look at yourself in the mirror ask yourself if you feel safe and protected with what you have on. If you do great if not change out to better equipment as you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
If you are fully protected a friend should be able to use a 60 grit belt sander any where on your body for 1 second without harming you!

Randy

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
In my earliest experience riding, (Rupp Roadster) I had a really nasty crash with a car that I pulled out in front of, thanks to my then-undiagonsed epilepsy. I was having a petit-mal seizure, that affects (on me) my periphial vision, and I thought the car was a half-mile away.
She T-boned me, and I landed on her hood, helmet first.

Yeah, I am a believer in protective gear.

When I got my first motorcycle several years later, it was a Bell full face helmet, mostly because in 1976, they were king.

Todays anti-seizure meds are great. 15 years seizure-free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts