Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was filling her up the other day, and I must of misjudged how much she needed and the well quickly started to rise and filled the ring in the gas tank to the point where it was about to overflow all over the place, and then.. Stop. Gas shut off. Not a drop fell. I let out a big breath and couldn't help but notice that it was by design.

I've never noticed it before, does the gas nozzle stop the flow once it reaches capacity (or gas starts hitting the nozzle)?

On a related note, I am getting just awful gas mileage, about 140 per tank. And another annoying thing is I only put in about 2.4-2.6L per fill, even though indicator is blinking. I think the manual says something like .35L left when it starts blinking, and the capacity is close to 3.5L, something isn't adding up and I'm too chickensh!t to ride her out on blinking.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
The fuel tank capacity, per the O/M, is 3.43 US GALLONS (13.0 liters) - Approx 0.37 US GALLONS (1.4 liters) remaining when 1st segment starts flashing.

So are you saying that for the 2.4 -2.6 gallons you are only getting 140 miles, which is about 56 MPG? How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I was filling her up the other day, and I must of misjudged how much she needed and the well quickly started to rise and filled the ring in the gas tank to the point where it was about to overflow all over the place, and then.. Stop. Gas shut off. Not a drop fell. I let out a big breath and couldn't help but notice that it was by design.

I've never noticed it before, does the gas nozzle stop the flow once it reaches capacity (or gas starts hitting the nozzle)?

On a related note, I am getting just awful gas mileage, about 140 per tank. And another annoying thing is I only put in about 2.4-2.6L per fill, even though indicator is blinking. I think the manual says something like .35L left when it starts blinking, and the capacity is close to 3.5L, something isn't adding up and I'm too chickensh!t to ride her out on blinking.
The only accurate way to determine your miles per gallon? kilometers per liter..is to write down or remember your miles on odometer when you fill up..then when you fill up again...divide how much gas to fill up the tank to full by how many miles you have rode since last fill up....or just keep ur receipts and the start an account at Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG and put in ur info and let the website do the math for you ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could only get 2.6 gallons in when I filled up too. Just started flashing when I pulled in. I got 62mpg on that tank. How is it for you guys as I am new to this bike, is the reserve larger than the manual says?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
443 miles on the bike. I just filled it at about 433 and my last fill up before that was at 300 even. Fuel indicator was flashing and I filled 2.4L, which is similar to when I filled it last time at 300. So (433-300)133/2.4L, looks about 55mpg. Better than I thought but the fuel indicator seems to be blinking too soon.

And my initial question in the post, still unanswered is, does refueling at a gas station stop on it's own when the tank is full?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
The only accurate way to determine your miles per gallon? kilometers per liter..is to write down or remember your miles on odometer when you fill up..then when you fill up again...divide how much gas to fill up the tank to full by how many miles you have rode since last fill up....or just keep ur receipts and the start an account at Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG and put in ur info and let the website do the math for you ..
Actually it's not gallons of gas divided by miles ridden, it's the opposite.
ELAPSED MILES Divided by GALLONS = MPG
For example: 162.0 MILES / 2.25 GALLONS = 72.0 MPG

To make it easy, use the TRIP odometer. Start with a full tank, filled to the baffle plate, and reset the TRIP odometer to zero. At the next re-fueling, simply write down the miles from the TRIP odometer on your receipt, and reset to zero before you ride off. Repeat...

As long as you re-fuel to the baffle plate every time, you will have accurate MPG numbers.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
443 miles on the bike. I just filled it at about 433 and my last fill up before that was at 300 even. Fuel indicator was flashing and I filled 2.4L, which is similar to when I filled it last time at 300. So (433-300)133/2.4L, looks about 55mpg. Better than I thought but the fuel indicator seems to be blinking too soon.

And my initial question in the post, still unanswered is, does refueling at a gas station stop on it's own when the tank is full?
Yes, fuel pump fill nozzle's are designed to shut off when tank is full. Still a good idea to go slow for the last half gallon.

Nick, you are in NY and are posting your fuel numbers in liters... what's up with that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Actually it's not gallons of gas divided by miles ridden, it's the opposite.
I think that's what I wrote, just mighta been confusing cuz I'm writing Liters and not gallons. lmao, and yes I'm in New York but motorcycling for noobs can be quite confusing, I'm googling baffle plate as we speak = P

Edit* My googling is not going well, based on how you used it and the context, I'm assuming baffle plate is that ring that you see when you open the gas cap?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Yeah... I think the term Honda uses is "Filler Neck Plate", I just came up with baffle plate, before I came across it in the Owners Manual. Its function is to prevent fuel from splashing back out of the tank while re-fueling.

By the way, the quote you referenced above, was actually a reply to spdklls post on calculating MPG, not to your post.

In your post, I was referring to your use of "L" after 2.4, 2.6 etc. Added to that your larger numbers didn't indicate miles or kilometers... at that point, your location of NY really didn't make sense. I think we've got it sorted out now...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
yeah..i actually meant divide into..typo on my part..and yes..gas nozzles shut off when it senses the back flow

and wondered what the liters were about..here in america we dont use the metric system unless ur buying a 2 litre of mountain dew

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and wondered what the liters were about..here in america we dont use the metric system unless ur buying a 2 litre of mountain dew
Aha! So we do use liters, I didn't entirely pull it out of my ass!
Thanks for the answers, I guess I don't have to be pissing my pants as I top off the tank hoping it doesn't gush over. And I will indeed use Moto's method of tracking mileage with the trip meter and writing down on the back of the receipt, nice method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts