Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning the bike off today I noticed a small oil leak from where the shifter enters the transmission. I have been checking my oil before every ride and I haven't noticed it getting low. Is there a sight window for trans oil?

BTW during the first service the dealership noticed the shift shaft seal was leaking then and replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing dripping off the bike. It looks more like its weeping out of the seal. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and make sure to get it looked at sooner rather than later. I want to get it taken care of under warranty.

Oddly enough I have noticed what can only be described as a supercharger like sound for about 3k to 6k revs. I wonder if the two problems are related?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nothing dripping off the bike. It looks more like its weeping out of the seal. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and make sure to get it looked at sooner rather than later. I want to get it taken care of under warranty.

Oddly enough I have noticed what can only be described as a supercharger like sound for about 3k to 6k revs. I wonder if the two problems are related?
If you're still under warranty and didn't buy the extended one why not just take it in right away and let them sort it all out instead of keeping an eye on it and possibly running out of warranty in the process?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're still under warranty and didn't buy the extended one why not just take it in right away and let them sort it all out instead of keeping an eye on it and possibly running out of warranty in the process?
My dealer is closed till Tuesday. I'm gonna make an appointment then and most likely bring it in next weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
That seal is easy to replace when you are changing the oil, and often, it simply needs to be seated better. You just remove the shift lever or linkage and use an appropriate diameter piece of plastic tubing to gently pound the seal in, or, press it in deeper with your fingers/thumbs. I've used the both approaches and recommend the latter as the first attempt and the tube approach only when hand pressing fails.

Note, this has been on my 230L, not a 250R.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i found out they do share but only after adding some slick 50 to my oil...it is then i learned to also not add friction inhibitors to the oil because it can cause the clutch to slip :-0 live and learn i guess...didnt put a whole lot anyway

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Mine had a small weep of oil from that gear selector shaft seal, and the clutch seal when new, they both bedded in and stopped leaking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talked to my dealer today. Turns out Honda has been receiving a lot of complaints about what appears to be the shifter shaft weeping oil. Turns out it grease coming from the chain. I cleaned the area off the other day and haven't ridden since. I haven't seen any more oil/ grease.

Something to keep in mind if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My dealer told me it was Cosmoline. When they ship the parts over seas they are coated in the cosmoline in order to keep anything from corroding. It is then cleaned off before assembly. It makes sense that there would be a little left behind in some areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts