Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok despite the snickers I may receive for this post I decided to share to prevent any other noob riders from hopefully making the same mistake. I try so hard to be careful on my bike, to avoid dropping her and scratching her beautiful paint. In the past couple weeks I've done some cool mods like installing a yoshimura exhaust, and just the other day installed a sweet underglow kit and last night I was out riding to test it out. The LED underglow kit I have allows you to change the color (it has seven total colors to choose from), so I usually alternate between white and red, though white is really bright so I am afraid of getting pulled over. Anyhow long story short, I was using white and decided to pull over in a empty parking lot and change the color and make sure no lights were coming loose (I installed the lights myself, did a **** good job if I do say so myself.) So I put my bike in neutral and swung my leg over to get off, as soon as I do I feel all the weight of my bike pressing against my leg and the bike started going down. I FORGOT TO PUT THE KICKSTAND DOWN! REALLY? Yes, really.

Luckily I was able to grab it and lay it down softly. I quickly picked her up and set her upright (thank god this bike is so light!) I stood there for a couple moments not wanting to look at it, cursing at myself for being such an idiot, afraid to see what damage was caused. When I finally did it turned out to be some very minimal damage, scratches on the bottom of the left side blinker, mirror, kickstand, gear shifter knob and back passenger peg, but nothing really noticeable unless you are really looking for it. Thank god.

Anyhow, I feel like an total moron, just thought I'd share my blond moment.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i have read of others doing similar so dont feel too bad. Read of one person doing that at a gas station and needing help because he was trapped btwn the bike and the gas pump.

look at the bright side. being that you are in Florida you can ride your bike in warm weather. Up here its either too cold, rainy or both. Like today. its a mild day (11c or ~50F) but too wet. But i imagine you in Florida would be putting on the winter gear at those "cold" temps

·
Registered
385 Posts
Happened to me more than once getting my old 480 pound Nighthawk up my banked, 15 degree sloped driveway and having it stall. Hard to imagine losing the CBR in a similar fashion but I've only had it since August so we'll see. On the Nighthawk, you could drop it at low speed and nothing would really happen to it. The CBR is much more manageable and I don't miss the power but I do miss looking at all that gleaming metal when I'm working in the garage. Looking at gleaming plastic just isn't the same.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Hey.....wait a minute....don't pick on blondes....this one hasn't dropped her bike yet!!!:eek: (j/k...my condolences:():D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
at least you know this won't ever happen again...:D
if it does , you deserve it for not placing the bike on the kick stand.(with your left foot);)

sucks when you baby her and then she gets a scratch or a dent :(

·
Registered
999 Posts
You want a "moron story"?

When I was 15 & 1/2 years old I got my first bike. A Honda Nighthawk 450.
On the first or perhaps it was the second day of my life as a rider I came to stop sign...

and forgot to put my feet down.

True story. Luckily the little Nighthawk had hardly any body panels at all so there was no damage. Hardly a scratch even.

Until 6 months later when I learned why you should never grab a handful of front brake doing 70 on a gravel road. I also learned that you should always wear gloves:D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
and to add - good to hear damage was minimal. For me i have done the opposite.
Park bike. not like how i have it situated so go to move it and ..clunk..doh. kickstand is down(move it without starting it)
And a few times i am all set to go. start bike..pop into first and...bike shuts off.. doh..kickstand is down.

more serious for me is forgetting to turn off turn signal. Coming from scooters i am still getting used to the new way of riding. so the first few times i could have had a bad one as cars thot i was turning when i wasnt. now i sing the mantra. signal off signal off ..... so i hopefully dont do that again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts