Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking the bike in to have the valves adjusted, the service writer noted a drop of coolant coming from the weep hole, which he said the tech would check. I fingered the drain, and my finger came away with a drop of coolant and a bit of oil residue. The tech noted "no coolant leak found" on the repair receipt. Before I left the shop, I again fingered the drain spout, and again came away with a drop of oil on my finger. Five miles back home, same thing.

The service manual says, "a drip of coolant/residue is normal at rest, but if a constant flow of coolant from the weep hole is noted while running, replace the mechanical seal." Well, "residue" might mean oil residue? But the next line says, "If oil is noted coming from the weep hole, replace the oil seal." On all my other water cooled bikes, the only time oil ever leaked from the weep hole was when the oil seal was shot, which was rare. This one does it since new. It's just a drop, but I'm feeling I should pursue this with Honda now, rather than wait until it gets worse and have Honda claim it's a normal wear and tear item, hence not covered under warranty.

How about you guys? When you finger your weep spout, do you come away with oil? It is accessed via the small opening in the right lower cowl, under the water pump (right engine cover) northeast of the oil filter.

·
Registered
576 Posts
650. The 500's had gold wheels/final drive, and come to think of it, the 650's in Europe also had the gold.
if you had some color in that avatar i would have been able to tell:)
my dad has the 650t down in fla,wicked take off in top gear,pulls
like a rocket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had my 250R in the shop under warranty for the same thing. They tore into it, found both the oil and mechanical seals in good shape, buttoned it back up and we're going to see if it repeats the mess this summer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my 250R in the shop under warranty for the same thing. They tore into it, found both the oil and mechanical seals in good shape, buttoned it back up and we're going to see if it repeats the mess this summer.
Hopefull they didn't button it up with the same seal(s) once they took the time to get in there. You can't "see" that an oil seal is in "good shape" just by looking at it! It leaks, you replace it, while first checking for any burrs on the shaft which goes through the seal which may have damaged it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Usually, a leaking tattle hole is a sign of the seal lip giving it off. The seals are made to last a while, purely because no matter what, the heat just kills it. IIRC, the cup bikes use silicon oil seals with metal reinforcement to prevent the wear of the water pump. Here's the link.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts