Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory, in modern manufacturing process validation is considered superior to "testing quality in" so I wouldn't consider this requirement to be indicative of a greater level of quality.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Good discussion topic, remusrm.

My opinion; Would you rather have:

>A helmet that is forced to abide by DOT/ECE specifications

OR

>A helmet that is forced to abide by DOT/ECE specifications AND voluntarily goes through more rigorous testing to obtain the SNELL certificate as well.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
354 Posts
dot is for crap. the helmet commpany probably has to register, and pay a yearly fee to remain active in the ability to put a dot sticker on the helmet. dot is typical inefficient govt bull crap.
Snell does destructive testing. Helmets have improved through snell, fees are paid through dot. ece looks about the same as dot.
test # 1, ' will it go on a head?' good,pass.
what is your head worth? go snell.
Snell Foundation - home

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Good info and good topic. What constitutes a good safe helmet?? Riders will give their opinion on the topic from $100 dollar helmets to $1000 helmets and all say their's is the best. What I have gathered is polycarbanate provides the best protection and this material can be found in all price ranges. What is frustrating is a rider really needs to go for a ride with a helmet on to determine a true comfort fit. Unfortunately, one can not really determine this by just walking around the store for a bit. Each head is different. Most of us don't fall into a s, m, l, xl category. The helmet fit has to be from top of the skull to our jaw. I have found some helmets fit wonderful around my jaw but too roomy on top. Helmet brands have different fits which is why some riders end up staying with a certain manufacture. When it comes to DOT, ECE, SNELL, SG,SAI, a rider should research the aceptable standards re: their helmet choice. ECE and SNELL appear to have more rigid testing processes. For ex: DOT tests helmets on 5 headforms whereas ECE tests on 8. Noise and venting are another consideration, however proper fit and a light safe helmet are my main concerns. Dollar amount isn't the best way to determine the safest helmet out there. At the end of the day, there are many opinions and arguements on this subject, even among the experts, with new riders wondering "what is the best?":eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts