Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electricity is much cheaper than gas. It costs me $3.50 in gas to go to work and back on my CBR250R. My Honda Insight uses $5.00 and an average American suv would be closer to $16.00 (these 20 mpgUS hogs should be taxed off the road). And the US has the price at less than half of what gas costs in Europe. $3.50 per gallonUS/ $.93 per liter, and dropping even as a barrel of oil is over $100. An electric motorcycle would be $1.25 at $.16/Kwhr. But batteries are expensive. If you spend enough you can get to 110kph (in a tuck) for 100 miles. No plug in electric car will ever come close to that speed/ range due to the weight without a $100,000 price tag but a DIY motorcycle drive train could be done for $5000. New technology has finally gotten a 7.5 Kw/hr battery pack weight down to 120 pounds/ 54kg and charge cycle lifetimes up to 5000. Which would be 500,000 miles. Now all I need to do is come up with the $5000 and a donor supersport bike with a blown engine. Similar turn key performance is also now available from Bramo and Zero for $15,000. An available US tax credit might actually make the ready made bike the way to go.
Empulse Electric Motorcycle
ZERO S ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_batteries_lpf_gbs_kit72.php

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
i get 1.5 miles per ah at 22mph:Don my avatar(esr sport)
it has 24ah in lifeo4.
i have a few electric gopeds including the Hoverboard
with the same batts as above,it;s closer to
1 ah per mile being an airtire with more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage

i get 1.5 miles per ah at 22mph:Don my avatar(esr sport)
i have 24ah in lifeo4.
i have a few electric gopeds including the Hoverboard
with the same batts as above,it;s closer to
1 ah per mile being an airtire with more rolling resistance.
What voltage? Similar performance on a mountain bike would be quite useful in my town for fast food runs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
these are at 24v
but the aftermarket torkinator motors i installed can
be overvolted to 36 and even 48 with a different
controller.
i've been to 28=30with the one with the seat
at 36v with around 8 to 10 miles a charge not
dumping the volts but taking it easy.
all mine have never seen shore power,just from solar panels:D
only thing you would need for a bike is the right sprockets.
at 24v=4500rpm loaded
36v is something like 6500rpm.
at 24v i can pull my golfcart no problem with 11/80 gearing.

the motors are at ddm.com under new products.
he has a video of me wheeling my avatar(yellow helmet)
super torquey.
they run around 500$ per motor.

·
Registered
576 Posts
this motor is the absolute best thing brushed right now.
best plug and play on a bike would be a 500-800watt
hub motorwith controller.
there are many makers out there with hub kits.
if you have any decent welding skills i'd say make
everything yourself but the hub kits are a breeze to hook up

this one was an electric that i have a few of(hvb2), i turned one into gasser.
with alittle fab work.i know i know took a step backwards ha ha.
the blue spacer lets 9/12ah fit instead of the 7/12's

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MiEV

A two-wheel prius? no thanks.
Why not? That Bramo is hot. If there was ever to be a plug in electric vehicle, a motorcycle is the perfect candidate. The next cheapest plug in car is the Mitsubishi MiEV at $30,000. It can hit 85mph but only has a 60 mile range on the highway. If you leave the heater off. If I had to choose, I would rather spend more time on the Bramo.
MiEV / Mitsubishi i Electric Vehicle / Mitsubishi Motors

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Electricity is much cheaper than gas.
In New York, sure. In California we pay 0.15 to 0.45 per KwH. The whole of the nation will be paying the same if proposed EPA regulations on coal fired plants ever get pushed through. Here it costs more to drive a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt or Tesla that a comparably sized all-gasoline powered car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
In New York, sure. In California we pay 0.15 to 0.45 per KwH. The whole of the nation will be paying the same if proposed EPA regulations on coal fired plants ever get pushed through. Here it costs more to drive a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt or Tesla that a comparably sized all-gasoline powered car.
your so far off it;s funny
where are you getting your information from?
do you even know how much and how many Ah it even takes to replenish
the batteries of the cars you listed?
from what i know,being "into" the electric scene for along time= it sounds
like you pull your information out of a hat:rolleyes:or work
for the petrol company's.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm figuring at $.16/ KwH. $.45 would make my CBR cheaper than the electric motorcycle. It's still pretty hard to sort out how much of the economic advantage is because of increased efficiency of the electric motor or just because of the decreased performance and capabilities of the electric. It may become more clear in 2013 when new vehicle window stickers will post MPG and MPGe values side by side. The MiEV is rated at 112 MPGe. Anyone in other countries know what you pay for gas vs electricity? One thing is certain. Electricity can still be generated one way or the other after all the fossil fuel is gone.
Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
172 Posts
The average for new York is 18.75 cents per KWH. California is 14.5 cents per KWH.
Consumer Reports tested a Leaf and they wrote that there is a 15% loss in the amount of electricity you are billed for versus what gets to the battery in the car, so that means you would have to increase the rate charged by 15% to get the real billed amount.

I drove a Leaf yesterday, around 4 miles. Very nice car but is it worth $29k after tax credits including most additional charges. Property taxes would be 10 times a CBR or my personal car and I am sure insurance would be much higher if you financed the Leaf. The annual property taxes here would get me right at 20,000 miles on my CBR or pay for the bike in 3 years.

Our family situation is ideal for a Leaf, mostly local trips under 50 miles, but there is no way to justify it financially. 80 MPG for my CBR is 4 cents a mile. The 99 Maxima is 12 cents a mile (in direct fuel costs). To get another 60k miles out of the Maxima would cost me about $1500, not sure on the CBR. That makes both vehicles cost about the same at $3750, including the maintenance and repairs on the Max which has 140k on it now and runs perfect.

The problem with electricity here is when you go much higher in monthly KWH use the cost per KWH goes up substantially, which compounds the problem.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
172 Posts
First year taxes on a Leaf would be $1350 and about $325 a year after that. Compare that to $30 on the CBR and $125 first year. The Leaf was estimated to cost $581 per year in electricity but that figure would be all over the place depending where you live.

A electric bike with a 60 miles range would be great, but they are close to $10k. I can wait for more sensible prices.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
385 Posts
your so far off it;s funny
where are you getting your information from?
do you even know how much and how many Ah it even takes to replenish
the batteries of the cars you listed?
from what i know,being "into" the electric scene for along time= it sounds
like you pull your information out of a hat:rolleyes:or work
for the petrol company's.
These cars are quite popular in CA; I know several people who own them. All pay considerably more per mile to drive them then they would a comparable gasoline car. The problem is that the current they suck puts you into a higher rate bracket on your electric bill. If they ever become popular, which I very much doubt will happen, creating the electricity to meet the demand absent the use of fossil fuels will be an insurmountable issue.

·
Registered
576 Posts
These cars are quite popular in CA; I know several people who own them. All pay considerably more per mile to drive them then they would a comparable gasoline car. The problem is that the current they suck puts you into a higher rate bracket on your electric bill. If they ever become popular, which I very much doubt will happen, creating the electricity to meet the demand absent the use of fossil fuels will be an insurmountable issue.
and on this side of the coin,i have a brother and mother that
that have a Prius now for a few years with unbelievable savings
for both.both have had no issues and run perfect still with
one probably at 60,000 and my mother has less than that but would guess
around 40,000miles.
i also hav a friend that lives in Long beach CA and he loves his
and praises it every time i talk to him.i guess some
may have buyers remorse:rolleyes:but tell me how many Priuses do you see forsale around where your at?,i never see them for resale.
i'm a big believer in solar so i've already proven it is viable for
my household,it's dark here now and i am off the grid typing this now:D
with enough stored from today to do anything electrical i wanted to.
if **** does hit the fan and power everywhere go's down,i dont even
care and wont say i told ya so either,
more inportant than power is knowing how to keep growing food year round but i wont get into that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts