Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good sized one, to haul 3, maybe 4 bikes. 14-16 feet?
What's a quality, sturdy brand?
I want aluminum. Drop rear door. V-front. Side access door.
Is dual axle required/prefered if it's over a specific length
I will be designating a bike for track use. May need room for friends bikes, or another street legal bike, if I travel to a track with cool roads in the area.
Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
given the size you are not likely to do more than 2 bikes abreast. This means that you will need 2 times the length of the longest bike you plan on hauling plus room for tools, gear, etc that will be contained within the trailer.

Dual axle allows better weight distribution, the same with dual tires on the same axle.

You may end up with a 15 foot trailer or so, at that length I would really look at a 5th wheel because it will dramatically lower your turning radius. Additionally 5th wheels can have people in them while you go down the road (handy if you build/buy a sleeping or eating compartment). For those that are unfamiliar with the term "5th wheel" it is a trailer that does not mount to the bumper but to the bed of a pickup like a 18 wheeler only smaller.

If it is just going to be the bikes you may be able to cram em in an 10 foot trailer but smaller ones usually do not have side doors (you can install those though). The V front is going to add a bit to the overall length to fit bikes 2 deep.

·
745 Posts
There's a company called Look in Indiana that makes a really nice trailer called a Vision. You can get it in 14 or 16, has a beavertail floor and ramp. Link:

http://www.looktrailers.com/vision-bike-trailer

I like the Look trailers - the CEO used to work for Haulmark and makes a nice trailer for a bit less. Tandem axles, brakes on all 4 wheels, 7-foot wide, will tow nicely. As far as fifth-wheel (you'll also hear them called "Gooseneck") trailers, as trixter said, they are nice. However you need a truck with a bed-mounted ball, and for a 14-16', they're a little overkill. 16' will give you plenty of room for four sportbikes, 14' would work for 250's or other short bikes... 14' will be a gracious plenty for two bikes and plenty of gear. The v-nose and tapered roof option will give you more room as well as a bit better gas mileage.

If I was buying one i'd pass on the internal beavertail. If you put three rows of e-track down, you should be able to haul bikes and almost anything else you want.

Have fun!

Luke

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
7' wide should accept 2 bikes side by side without issue.
14' long should accept 3 staggered bikes easily. 1 in the center, in front, into a v nose, then 2 side by side behind that. Looking at 14' and 16' long.
Just wondering if 16' long is needed for a 4th bike. I know either would be a squeeze for a 4th. Thinking in the center, at the back. Like a diamand formation.

5th wheel would be overkill. Plus, I don't want to remove my topper.
I should add, I have a 2500HD GMC Crew cab, with a big block, 8.1 liter engine, with the Allison tranny. I am not lacking in the power dept.

Thanks for any more feedback/shared experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts