Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had the rear wheel off the ground and put it in first gear to apply the chain lube while the wheel was spinning slowly. With wheel spinning, just as I began to spray the lube, the engine speed suddenly increased to about 2500 RPM. When I nicked the gearbox back to neutral, the idle speed went back to normal. A second attempt, and the idle speed stayed normal for the duration of lubing. Any guesses on what caused this? Injection trying to compensate for something?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
That is not how to lube a chain.

·
Registered
319 Posts
very very dangerous lubing a chain like that, unless you dont like your fingers!

Was the bike cold?

If so, then yeh generally normal, Enrichment for warm up

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Is the op the one that was complaining his stand is not secure and does not have proper spools?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mmmmm Yeah don't lube up your chain like that. Anyway.

I used my stand for the first time while cleaning my chain and I put it in gear to spray a little cleaner to loosen up the old lube and the engine as I predicted revved up more than when its idle, but I figure that's because there is less weight for the bike to push.

My Bike very often revs up by itself and has been doing this since I got it (99% of the time while idle). I would just twist the accelerator to make it go back to normal. It could be cold weather or the engine needs to be looked at.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, thank you all for your concern. I was rather expecting to be admonished for lubing the chain like this. I found I could better get the lube to go precisely between the plates by letting the chain move, as opposed to moving the can with wriggly extension tube back and forth. As with all things "dangerous," the level of danger is directly related to the level of common sense practiced. First, I did not, and would never consider, cleaning the chain with the rear wheel off the ground and spinning under power. To grab a chain with a solvent soaked rag while it is spinning goes against common sense. The unfortunate gentleman in the link apparently did not possess this trait of common sense. However, holding a can of spray lube with a five inch long extension tube tip held against the chain plates poses no significant risk of amputation to anybody with sense, as fingers are nowhere near a sprocket or chain.

Back in high school metal shop, the drill press key was attached, so it would not get lost, to the side of the press with a pressed link chain with plenty of sharp edges. My friend was holding the key in the chuck with one hand, when a brain fart told him to turn the drill on with his other hand while still holding the key. In less than the blink of an eye, the chuck had rotated the razor-sharp chain around his hand. When I unrolled the chain, his hand looked similar to the unfortunate man shown in the post linked to above. I personally walked him to the nurse. Witnessing this and watching blood pour from his hand denuded of flesh to the bone, I learned to be henceforth cognizant of where my hands and fingers are at any time while working on mechanical things.

Some years back, a genious decided that the task of trimming his hedges would be made so much faster if he just lifted his rotary lawn mower up with his hands and held it up to trim his hedges. A couple missing body parts and a gaggle of lawyers later, and now lawn mowers are required to have a warning label cautioning against using the lawn mower to trim hedges. If somebody is the type of person who would find such a warning to be a news flash, then I suggest they also not lube their chain the way I did, even with a five inch extension nozzle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nasty!

But was your bike cold when you lubed the chain? lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts