Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the life expectancy of the 250 engine is, I've put a good amount of miles on it in only a year, but that's got me thinking about how much longer I can expect to have her or if I should just sell her at a certain point.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honda bikes have been know to last well over 200k miles if maintained properly. No need to worry about it wearing out on you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Life expectancy

I know MY life expectant decreases lol, just wondering about the engines. I think you're right about motorcycles attracting a certain type of person though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
999 Posts
It'll run all the way up to the point where it dies.

Sorry for the smart arse response but there's too many variables involved. How it's ridden. How it's maintained. etc....

I would expect mine to give me 100K miles, give or take a few.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yup, I'd go with the 100,000 miles suggestion, if well maintained. The CBR's got a pretty well built, under stressed, liquid cooled engine. Similar bore and stroke to a 1000cc 4 cylinder engine. Who knows, it may last even longer than that. I'll let you know in 100,000 miles. :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Properly maintained a CBR250R should last a good few years / miles.

My little 100cc 1997 Honda Dream has done over 210,000 km / 130,000 miles. I bought it as an ex rental with 90,000 km on the clock in 2003. I had it overhauled (rings and bearings; cost 4,200 baht / $US 140) three years ago at 170,00 km / 105,000 miles. It still gets better than 100 mpg, and should be good for a few more years yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
some times i am amazed that these things work for even a few miles (engines in general not just our Honda) When you think about it. Even at a hwy cruise speed of 130kph (7500 RPM) That means things are moving at 7500 motions each minute. Valves open close, sparkplug fires. Thats 125 times per second! IF you rode like that for just 1 hour thats 450,000 times. blows my mind.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm no expert by any stretch, but the only times I've ever heard of engines being ruined in street vehicles is ignoring the oil level and letting it run too low for too long.
I agree. Eventually, somethings got to give though given enough miles even with proper maintenance. Cylinder wear from the nature of these bikes running at high rpms, bearing wear, bushings... It'll be a long time and would have paid for itself long ago.

The question really should be how long can you go before that 20-30% greater chance happens? ;)

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This question has come up a number of times in the past.

In my opinion this may be the ultimate test for a modern single. (My perspective is North America.). What other single cylinder bike has been sold with the comfort and usability of the CBR250? It will likely get more miles of road tripping at high rpm's than any other single. I'm looking forward to hearing the results as the years tick by.

·
Registered
878 Posts
A lot of people now getting 100,000 miles.....160,000 kilos, from a bike and there's no reason to assume our CBRs would be any different. It's a low stressed well engineered bike and of course it's a Honda!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have been reading a couple of discussions and know of three members who have had needle bearing failures at around the 50000 Km mark. I can't comment on their unique situations and the fact that the majority hasn't reached those marks yet, we could see more bearing failures as kilometers get racked up.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
Have been reading a couple of discussions and know of three members who have had needle bearing failures at around the 50000 Km mark. I can't comment on their unique situations and the fact that the majority hasn't reached those marks yet, we could see more bearing failures as kilometers get racked up.
Before long, we'll see a run on OEM Honda crankshafts, piston & ring sets, cylinders, and gasket sets... owners will want to stock up for the long haul. :eek: And you thought getting oil filters & drain plug washers was difficult? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts