Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok I guess after i put 1000 miles on this weekend I will read the manual and see what they suggest... I bought it with 4,500 miles for 2100$ and changed the oil and filter right away but I haven't looked at anything else yet.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
How many miles can I expect to put on my lil cbr? I am a daily driver and rack them up quickly. My ninja650 picked up 50,000 in 3 years and I never even had to adjust the valves... I assume this little guy will require more upkeep as well?
I've clocked 13,500km in 10 months, hasn't missed a beat. It all comes down to general maintenance really. Did the oil change at 12k as per manual. If you maintain your bike, it will be happy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Juzman, did you finally get the VCI done at that 12k service?
Negative. Honda said they don't do it until 24,000km. I asked them at the 1,000km if the VCI gets checked and said nope. So just did oil change myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Negative. Honda said they don't do it until 24,000km. I asked them at the 1,000km if the VCI gets checked and said nope. So just did oil change myself.
When you say "Honda said..." you're talking about your local dealer, yes?

I'd get that in writing from the dealer, so that if you end up with burned exhaust valves, you won't be shelling out of pocket for the repair bill.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When you say "Honda said..." you're talking about your local dealer, yes?

I'd get that in writing from the dealer, so that if you end up with burned exhaust valves, you won't be shelling out of pocket for the repair bill.
I didn't even think of that, my 1000km service was about 8 months ago now. Doubt they would write it down for me now. -.-

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Strange over here they do a valve inspection with the 1000 km service as is outlined in the Honda owner's manual on page 35.
Yeah, that's what I asked the dealer. They said not to worry and wait until 24k service.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Strange over here they do a valve inspection with the 1000 km service as is outlined in the Honda owner's manual on page 35.
Yeah, that's what I asked the dealer. They said not to worry and wait until 24k service.
Of course that dealer isn't worried... it's not his bike.

Isn't it amazing when a dealer tells you something totally contrary to what the manufacturer says... for me, that's the waving red flag that says "Find a different dealer", one who knows what the hell they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Of course that dealer isn't worried... it's not his bike.

Isn't it amazing when a dealer tells you something totally contrary to what the manufacturer says... for me, that's the waving red flag that says "Find a different dealer", one who knows what the hell they are talking about.
Yeah, I agree. Only have a Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki dealer here. I guess from what I've read on line, only a handful of the bikes have needed an adjustment. Hopefully mine didn't, have 10k until service, so will see.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Only have a Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki dealer here. I guess from what I've read on line, only a handful of the bikes have needed an adjustment. Hopefully mine didn't, have 10k until service, so will see.
Have you considered doing the valve clearance inspection yourself? It's really not that difficult to measure the clearances (and only a bit more involved if they are out of spec, requiring shims to be changed).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you considered doing the valve clearance inspection yourself? It's really not that difficult to measure the clearances (and only a bit more involved if they are out of spec, requiring shims to be changed).
It's also a PITA, you have to take off both front fairing and a couple modular ones near the tank otherwise you can't raise it. You also need to drop the radiator, find a pair of skinny feeler gauges (MSR) and buy a gasket and Hondabond (frikken honda bond is $30).

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
It's also a PITA, you have to take off both front fairing and a couple modular ones near the tank otherwise you can't raise it. You also need to drop the radiator, find a pair of skinny feeler gauges (MSR) and buy a gasket and Hondabond (frikken honda bond is $30).
I've done the VCI three times now on the CBR250R. The first time, it took me about 3 hours start to finish, and I was taking my time. The 2nd & 3rd time, I had it down to under 2 hours, due to a couple time saving short cuts. The side cowls, filler panels, and seat are all easy to R&R. Rather than draining & removing the radiator, I completely remove the fuel tank from the bike, which makes for much easier access to the cylinder head when removing the valve cover, and for measuring the valve clearances.

The front fairing (aka upper cowl) isn't removed.

The rubber valve cover gasket doesn't need to be replaced (unless you somehow manage to damage it). After three VCI's, I'm still using the original gasket on my bike.

Nor do you have to use HondaBond 4*... High Temp Ultra Black RTV works just as well.

For the cost of one hour of shop labor at most Honda Dealerships, you can buy a set of feeler gauges and your very own personal copy of the factory CBR250R/RA Service Manual. (yeah I know, you can download** a pirated copy of the S/M for "free" :rolleyes:... don't be a cheap mo fo. Buy it.)

* If you're paying $30 for HondaBond 4, you're paying way too much: 08717-1194 HONDABOND 4 $4.81 (Also ThreeBond 1194 is the same product as HondaBond 4)

** Another advantage of the hard copy of the Honda Service Manual from Helm, Inc... it can't corrupt your computer with a virus, which is nice. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've done the VCI three times now on the CBR250R. The first time, it took me about 3 hours start to finish, and I was taking my time. The 2nd & 3rd time, I had it down to under 2 hours, due to a couple time saving short cuts. The side cowls, filler panels, and seat are all easy to R&R. Rather than draining & removing the radiator, I completely remove the fuel tank from the bike, which makes for much easier access to the cylinder head when removing the valve cover, and for measuring the valve clearances.

The front fairing (aka upper cowl) isn't removed.

The rubber valve cover gasket doesn't need to be replaced (unless you somehow manage to damage it). After three VCI's, I'm still using the original gasket on my bike.

Nor do you have to use HondaBond 4*... High Temp Ultra Black RTV works just as well.

For the cost of one hour of shop labor at most Honda Dealerships, you can buy a set of feeler gauges and your very own personal copy of the factory CBR250R/RA Service Manual. (yeah I know, you can download** a pirated copy of the S/M for "free" :rolleyes:... don't be a cheap mo fo. Buy it.)

* If you're paying $30 for HondaBond 4, you're paying way too much: 08717-1194 HONDABOND 4 $4.81 (Also ThreeBond 1194 is the same product as HondaBond 4)

** Another advantage of the hard copy of the Honda Service Manual from Helm, Inc... it can't corrupt your computer with a virus, which is nice. :)
Taking off the tank is also a pain and I mean't the gasket and honda bond are $25+tax. I don't know why the gasket was so expensive but it is what it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are avoiding the DIY route because of the price of a gasket or Hondabond that is to frikken expensive, you do realize that the dealer that does the work is still charging you for those parts, at full retail price, right?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I considered it, just haven't gotten around to it TBH. Shouldn't be too hard, just need a set of feeler gauges. Already have service manual. Might attempt it one day.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Saying that, I've been riding for 30 years, and I'm still alive, just. :D The trouble with bikes is that a lot of them are very, very fast, and attract a certain type of person. I think this skews the statistics, somewhat. ;)
I've had several people ask me why I didn't get a "safer" cruiser style bike. I explained I just don't feel in control sitting on my tailbone with my feet way out in front. Inevitably, they say I must be wrong, because so many more people are killed on sport bikes. They just won't factor in age and stupidity. I'm sure there are lots of folks who do just fine on cruisers, but I learned to ride in the dirt>In other words, ride the front wheel. At 59, I don't think I want to re- learn everything...

41 - 60 of 82 Posts