Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday around noon i was going to take my bike out for the first time in over a week and found that it wouldnt start :eek:.
i did my normal startup procedure:
backed it out of the garage, hopped on, pulled up the kickstand, pulled in the clutch, and hit the starter.
the engine cranked but immediately died...
thats strange...
waited a few secounds.
hit the button again holding it down longer this time.
the engine came to life around 400RPM and struggled for a few seconds with very low toned thumping coming from the muffler then died.
now im getting really nervous.
waited about 30-60 seconds.
pressed the started one more time and the engine came to life like normal.
i decided to wait until it warmed up before riding it at all.
any ideas?
i plan on calling my dealer on tuesday.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No idea but I can tell you it sounds unusual. I often don't ride for a week - I've had my CBR nearly two months and haven't even put 400 miles on it yet. I'm warmer than Oregon but still, in the Santa Cruz mountains at 2200 feet we've had plenty of mornings in the 40's lately. I've never experienced your issue.
You are using 87 gas right? I've read these bikes won't run quite as well at higher octanes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine gets a little hissy when I do a cold start after I haven't been on it for a week or so. I find giving it a little throttle (air in this case) helps it immensely. I just chalked it up to a quirk of the engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i had 87 octane in it. i was pretty low on gas, so i was thinking that it might have been condensation in the tank making the gas bad.
This.

Also, I've never owned an engine that started the first time 100% of the time. Even new cars will hesitate when conditions are just right. It's only a problem if it happens frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts