Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 2013 CBR250R (ok no surprise there), with only 5000km. I have a noise that starts around 5-6k rpm but is really only noticeable when the bike is underway (and not so much in neutral just revving). I don't think it's the typical engine rattle from listening to the videos people have posted... and I don't think it's the cam chain tensioner. Anyhow here is my video of it:

Excuse the weird view angle... no go pro and hard to shoot a movie while riding :)

I found another youtube movie of a similar sound and someone in the comments suggested exhaust gasket replacement. The nuts on the hinge aren't loose but I haven't had time to pull the whole thing off and inspect.

Also of note, after riding for a bit, the bike smells a little sweet. I can't tell if it's the exhaust... and it's not blowing any white smoke at all. I also don't see any leaks other than a dribble of water out of the exhaust drain hole when first starting the bike in the morning (it was 13 celsius today). Oil looks fresh (though I don't know if it was just changed to remove evidence of the white curdle that happens when head gasket leaks).

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
636 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I listened to the recording (And according to your story),
your engine sounded perfectly fine.
The rattles are especially sound at 5-6 thousand rpm.
It continue even at higher rpm, but the background noises get over so it's harder to hear him.
Noise is a "boxy" noise generated by the exhaust valve located above the valve cover.

This is how it is in our CBR250R, we all getting used to that noise and that's it.

Reactions: peej

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
636 Posts
Also of note, after riding for a bit, the bike smells a little sweet.
Coolant has a sweet taste, NOT a sweet smell.
it is very toxic and should not be put in the mouth etc !!!
:eek::eek::eek: ☹ ☹

Maybe the smell is from a paint treatment material? Turtle-wax or something similar?

Reactions: peej

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Tamir for the helpful reply! It's wonderful to hear that this is typical engine sound and not something more serious. Strange that I didn't pick it up in the videos I came across... will have to listen a bit better next time.

Also very good point about paint treatment - in fact now that you mention it, I definitely think it matches the smell of wax. I wonder if the seller waxed the exhaust housing :)

Anyhow very useful information. This is the bike I purchased for my beginner wife and I'm very glad that it isn't a lemon (so far haha).

Cheers,
Preston

1 - 4 of 4 Posts