Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Windscreen of my bike does rattles around 6500-7000 RPM. Can be easily verified as when I touch the windscreen with my hand at those RPM and put slight pressure on it, the rattle stops.

But lately I have been hearing another sound. Its a recent occurrence. When I accelerate with throttle wide open from lower RPM (4000) in higher Gear, I hear 2-3 kit-kit sounds. This sound is not there if I accelerate through the gears by keeping RPM high. It only happens when I open the throttle.

Could this be related to valves?? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
as a general comment, to 'accelerate with throttle wide open fm lower
rpm in higher gear' cannot but cause loading on your drivetrain..
aside from any other loading thru the engine, this will place
unnecessary stress on your chain and sprockets thus wear..

imagine a heavy weight at the gym which allows you to take
the weight then push it upwards under control, compared to
someone dropping the weight onto your shoulders when
your muscles are not prepared for it..
in any acceleration, you should select the best gear from
the many available, then feed in the revs using the clutch
to smooth transition of that power thru to the drivetrain..

this is the most efficient and efffective general method
which will still allow you to maximise power generation
without unnecessarily loading your drivetrain [etc]..

check and adjust and lube your chain
then add 'smooth' to your general riding habits..

·
Registered
611 Posts
On the Verge of Lugging.

But lately I have been hearing another sound. Its a recent occurrence. When I accelerate with throttle wide open from lower RPM (4000) in higher Gear, I hear 2-3 kit-kit sounds. This sound is not there if I accelerate through the gears by keeping RPM high. It only happens when I open the throttle.
Operate the cbr under the same conditions. But instead of WOT, only open the throttle to 3/4 throttle position. Is the same noise heard?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Soul Searcher and shisoshin

This is what I observed while testing it. This Thursday was a cold day. The bike was pulling nicely from 3500-4000 RPM in 4th gear. I rode for about 3 hours and everything was perfect.

Yesterday was relatively much hotter and I could hear those noises when operating the bike similarly. Normally I don't ride like this, its just sometimes traffic slows you down suddenly and RPMs drop to 3500-4000. However when I open the throttle slowly the noises are NOT there. As far as I can see its definitely related to engine temperature.

Chain and sprockets are new so its not related to Chain. Engine oil is new as well and is 10W30 Fully Synthetic.

Operate the cbr under the same conditions. But instead of WOT, only open the throttle to 3/4 throttle position. Is the same noise heard?
Yes. Its related to how fast I open the throttle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello , let me start by saying that I too have the 5.5k rattle. It is more than annoying as I find myself always listening for it during every ride. I bought this bike because it was a Honda and their great reputation. I am pissed that this brand new bike, that started off rattle free for 350 miles, now sounds like a piece of junk. Yes Ive lubed the chain, checked the bolts I have access to and had first service performed and two shims replaced, yet it still fuc&$%&%[email protected]#$%g rattles. So i propose we all document it here and then direct Honda to the list so there can be no mistake that it is indeed a problem...I want my bike back the one I bought, the one that sounded dreamy, this is unacceptable and it's time to be proactive and get it fixed.....
I KNOW HONDA MUST HAVE A IDEA BY NOW THAT THIS IS A ISSUE BUT THEY SEEM TO NOT WANT TO OWN UP TO IT...SHADY AND DANGEROUS BUSINESS PRACTICE, IMHO....
Same problem with me.
2012 model, after first service, engine rattling noise started.
Mechanist couldn't solve the problem but mess with valves.
My friend have R15 which is also single cylinder but no matter how you ride that bike its always smooth like butter, no matter how much acceleration you give it never makes any junk noises.
So sad too hear that Honda don't give a fk about this problem.
It sounds very bad, feels like hurting my bike :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same problem with me.
2012 model, after first service, engine rattling noise started.
Mechanist couldn't solve the problem but mess with valves.
My friend have R15 which is also single cylinder but no matter how you ride that bike its always smooth like butter, no matter how much acceleration you give it never makes any junk noises.
So sad too hear that Honda don't give a fk about this problem.
It sounds very bad, feels like hurting my bike :(
where was it built?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Possibly lugging the engine. Shift down a gear, then WOT.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
[without, asigning blame, or operator error,
basic riding skills effect 'everything']

having never had this 'rattle' i have no solution
or explanation for what others are hearing..

other than members who have found it
to be loose fasteners from engine mounts
to footpegs to faining panels to under front
tank cover to within instrument panel to
loose screw in fairing underbelly..

not saying that a new chain causes this
or that being new makes it immune from
generating noise [same for other parts etc]..

but loading engine thus drivetrain will
cause [well, loading] effects which may be
perceived as engine noise..

im sensitive to loading responses including
'noise' bearing in mind that 'noise' can be
any vibratory effect, not necessarily sound..
riding at around 4krpm in [probably 4th]
i saw lights ahead change so increased
throttle thinking of being in 3rd, not,
snapping it open but easing it on gently
which still resulted in slight loading,
felt or perhaps heard as that..

so even when you do ease throttle on
it can still cause loading in too high a gear..
generally that never happens to me
as riding according to 'feel' from bike
including [eg] entering a corner
in 2nd where first is too 'high' a gear
for exiting in, so i use clutch as if
having changed gear into 2nd,
to feed power in gradually..

this isnt a big deal, and its not as if
its causing heavy loading not, using
clutch in such situations.. rather
its an example of an attitude to
smoothly feeding power into her
drivetrain thus road..

members expressing experiences
of noises at certain revs in certain gears
including wot, say '[over]loading' to me..

smooth starts out slow, but becomes
efficient with practice..
efficient also happens to become fast..
just like learning a musical instrument
or any such brain/hand co-ordination
at any level of skill beyond novice..

some people cant [even] shut a door
without slamming it..
some seem to treat their clutch
and gearbox as a sort of enemy
to be treated harshly..

someone like this who has been
'riding for years' has been
abusing their motorcycle
for years..

slow, smooth, deliberate
becomes fast, efficient, effective..
this goes for clutch, throttle,
gear lever [and brakes]..

the smoother it all is
the easier and better
it will [automatically]
become.. try it..

·
Registered
617 Posts
What you guys don't get is that so called "engine rattle" is most likely not an engine rattle, but in fact something entirely different that does not constitute a flaw, or in any way jeopardize the safety or longevity of the machine.
My guess is that Honda knows this.
CBR250R bikes have racked up millions of miles by now with no failures associated with this "rattle".
I say get over it and enjoy the ride.

IR

PS it's the bank angle sensor ball bearing imo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
mine had the stupid rattle, and was cured by simply lubing a dry from factory chain that started to kink in spots.
that being said, other people have stated that this has not cured their issue. So I don't know, mine is a thai built Honda.
maybe India has a different source for parts that may or may not be of lesser quality. Maybe these Honda's suffer from the same blight as the Royal Enfield's do in quality issues and it may be a specific manufacturing plant issue. Maybe Yamaha pays better attention to their Indian workers and supports a better working environment and quality of life to their workers. We are talking about bikes that are being built in large population countries that are poverty stricken. I 'm not surprised with quality issues and I'm not going to complain as the price of these bikes are circa the early 90's.

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
What you guys don't get is that so called "engine rattle" is most likely not an engine rattle, but in fact something entirely different that does not constitute a flaw, or in any way jeopardize the safety or longevity of the machine.
My guess is that Honda knows this.
Honda does know this.

PS it's the bank angle sensor ball bearing imo.
bro please check the bank angel sensor .....i saw for some that was the culprit
The inside of the Bank Angle Sensor has a small pendulum which is suspended in an oil, and as such is highly unlikely to be the source of any 'rattle'. In fact, in an earlier post another member who also was convinced that the 'rattle' was coming from the Bank Angle Sensor, removed it only to find that the perceived rattle was still present. I still believe that what most are hearing is likely a normal harmonic resonance coming from a body panel. In some cases, a loose fairing screw could certainly result in a noticeable rattling type of noise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Honda does know this.

The inside of the Bank Angle Sensor has a small pendulum which is suspended in an oil, and as such is highly unlikely to be the source of any 'rattle'. In fact, in an earlier post another member who also was convinced that the 'rattle' was coming from the Bank Angle Sensor, removed it only to find that the perceived rattle was still present. I still believe that what most are hearing is likely a normal harmonic resonance coming from a body panel. In some cases, a loose fairing screw could certainly result in a noticeable rattling type of noise.

Yeh nah, it's not in oil. It does rattle buts it's not "the" rattle and removing it doesn't solve anything.
I think it's the reed check valve thing that lets a bit of air into the exhaust that's making the noise or one theory I had was that both the exhaust and intake valves have 2 shims each, maybe if one shim was thinner than it's neighbour it might rattle around a little, I mean maybe the valve clearance on both shims for each valve might need to be exactly the same to get rid of the rattle. And the rare few who don't have the rattle might just have been lucky. A variance in clearance wouldn't warrant replacing shims if they were still within spec so those who have had their shims checked and changed still wouldn't have had the rattle fixed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
google; 'bank angle sensor rattle cure'..

you might need a secretary to plow thru
the volume and variety of information
incl from various engines/sensors..

one eg of claimed cures for 'engine rattles'
from b/a/sensors is adding oil for dry
mechanisms and swapping 'heavier' oil
for those immersed in 'lighter' oil,
allowing movement but not rattling..

not saying this is the cause for your
'rattling' [my engine has no 'rattle']
but to the question, theres heaps
of info from that one search key..

[this is not some new revelation here]

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Black And Chrome)
41 Posts
Read every post in the thread,just seems to be the the way these bikes are.

441 - 460 of 473 Posts