Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

461 - 473 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Read every post in the thread,just seems to be the the way these bikes are.
My "rattle" was from the somewhere in the dash and stopped after a few thousand miles(I'm assuming it was one plastic rubbing agesnt another) . Either way I think most of the people on this thread were paranoid and just jumped on the bandwagon. New cars have rattles too so it's not hard to belive new bikes also rattle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rattles

There are so many potential areas for rattles, over the past few months I have come across a number of loose bolts, poor clips, bad insert rivets etc.

Loose nuts on the clutch lever to the point where it was almost ready to drop off, front bottom fairing and cowl bolts loose, speedo cowl bolt loose, rear right hand passenger grab bolt stripped (needed a helicoil insert).

There is a lot of problems with the manufacture / assembly of this bike - another one is the backlight LED's on the speedo flickering and dying - just repaired mine but broke the reset switch during the repair!

This bike has been assembled in Thailand, (mainly) so is as about third world labour as you can get, hopefully it has at least been through some sort of internationally recognized QA rating, but I really would not be surprised as it being poor quality if assembled here.

Honda no doubt have "qualified" local vendors for their piece parts - i.e. I doubt it if much is shipped from Japan. then take a look at the price, it isn't exactly up there like a BMW is it?

Of course they have taken shortcuts, of course a lot of the parts would not meet Western QA standards, it is a cheap bike that in general runs very well, but if you expect a Rolls Royce from Thailand you will be long dead by the time you ever see anything close.

If something went wrong on the production lines - stripping threads as an example, the workers would just keep assembling and stripping, it is totally alien to the culture here to question anything or admit fault.

Make the best use of your warranty, I know most Thais would never dare take a suspect bike back to the dealer in the first place for fear of confrontation and good old lack of face.

They would rather smile, walk away, stew on it, get drunk then go back and blow the dealers head off!

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
There are so many potential areas for rattles, over the past few months I have come across a number of loose bolts, poor clips, bad insert rivets etc.

Loose nuts on the clutch lever to the point where it was almost ready to drop off, front bottom fairing and cowl bolts loose, speedo cowl bolt loose
, rear right hand passenger grab bolt stripped (needed a helicoil insert).

There is a lot of problems with the manufacture / assembly of this bike - another one is the backlight LED's on the speedo flickering and dying - just repaired mine but broke the reset switch during the repair!

This bike has been assembled in Thailand, (mainly) so is as about third world labour as you can get, hopefully it has at least been through some sort of internationally recognized QA rating, but I really would not be surprised as it being poor quality if assembled here.

Honda no doubt have "qualified" local vendors for their piece parts - i.e. I doubt it if much is shipped from Japan. then take a look at the price, it isn't exactly up there like a BMW is it?

Of course they have taken shortcuts, of course a lot of the parts would not meet Western QA standards, it is a cheap bike that in general runs very well, but if you expect a Rolls Royce from Thailand you will be long dead by the time you ever see anything close.

If something went wrong on the production lines - stripping threads as an example, the workers would just keep assembling and stripping, it is totally alien to the culture here to question anything or admit fault.

Make the best use of your warranty, I know most Thais would never dare take a suspect bike back to the dealer in the first place for fear of confrontation and good old lack of face.

They would rather smile, walk away, stew on it, get drunk then go back and blow the dealers head off!
Based on my own experience with my Thai built 2012 250R over the past 15,000 miles and nearly 3 years of riding it, I have to disagree with much of your assessment of this bike. I've had no issues with loose or stripped fasteners, if anything I found the fairing screws on the tight side when I put wrenches to them for the first time when I did the 600 mile service.

That said, your first statement about finding screws and bolts being loose and almost falling out would indicate to me a lack of routine motorcycle maintenance on the part of the owner, which goes well beyond just checking/changing the oil and kicking the tires. You can't really blame the factory for a few fasteners becoming loose after several months of riding... these are things that need to be checked and are part and parcel of being a motorcyclist. Dare I say that this sort of proactive maintenance would be one of the main differences between someone who is a true motorcyclist, and someone who merely owns and rides a motorcycle.

As far as parts quality, the only thing I really see on the CBR250R that could perhaps be considered somewhat cheap looking are the black plastic side covers, and the black plastic under cowl... IMO, everything else in the way of parts and components on this bike is on par with the quality of my Japan built Honda's. The biggest difference I see is the often outrageous prices for OEM replacement parts on my Japan built Honda XR's... for example, you could literally buy three CBR250R fuel tanks for the price of what one XR650L fuel tank sells for.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've gotta agree with MM on this. My Thai built motorcycle has been a dream to own and ride. Although I'm fairly strict with routine maintenance by myself and dealer servicing (to the point that I will go over everything with a fine tooth comb after I get a service from the dealer). I've had to tighten a few fasteners from time to time. It's a single cylinder motorcycle after all, and is part of the deal. I was paranoid about rattles when I first bought it. I was also new to motorcycles at the time. But I can't say my bike has a 'rattling issue'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The noise I get is definitely from either a valve chain or adjuster/tensioner. I have less than 200 miles on my CBR and I find that when I hold the revs at the start of the noisy engine, it definitely sounds like a cam chain loose and rattling on the engine case. All this happens between 4000 and 5500 rpm. Sounds like the engine is just noisy from what I have read on here so I am not too concerned but I will mention it to the dealer when I get them to service and adjust the valves. If it doesn't improve I might be inclined to do some investigation myself.
this is the problem according to the crf 250 crowd. 47 pages and no one has heard about this!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
this is the problem according to the crf 250 crowd. 47 pages and no one has heard about this!!!
Owners have replaced the cam chain tensioner (due to loss of performance as a result of valve timing going off), but from what I understand replacing it didn't change anything as far as this 5.5k "rattle".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Owners have replaced the cam chain tensioner (due to loss of performance as a result of valve timing going off), but from what I understand replacing it didn't change anything as far as this 5.5k "rattle".
Aye, and that's why I learn to accept it as it is. Honda has to give this thing a flaw otherwise Kawa and Yamaha won't be able to sell their 300 and 250. How considerate of Honda :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agreed with MM and Aus Rider- I have been running two CBRs in parallel (both 2012s) and have had no issues. My silver/red is used more for touring and my red/white/blue is more for riding with my son or another friend / family member.
Anyway, they are both sitting next to a Japanese VFR and an Ohio-assembled Magna and have comparable build quality / reliability.
Maintenance friends... maintenance!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
admission; none of my 6 road honda engines
made any unusual 'rattle' noises, incl cbr250r
and new cbr300r.. nor have i heard one 'rattling'..

if, you have an actual engine sourced 'rattle'
that you think is not normal engine noise,
first fill up with higher octane petrol [98ron]
to check for pre-ignition or 'knock'..
refill a couple of times and check..
higher octane wont make any difference to
general performance, and you can go back
to the recommended 91ron next fill..

check all available fasteners incl levers
footpegs and anything else moveable..
adjust and align chain/rear wheel, lube..
check engine oil [change to correct to be sure]..
even a drive chain sounds different with
only fresh lubrication..

listen to other cbr250r engines..
go to places where motorcyclists go,
including dealers or motorcycle retailers etc
and ask to listen to other cbr250r engines..
even dealers will start up engines for you..

if you still have an unusual engine 'rattle'
take off side fairing panel, apply screwdriver
handle to ear, blade end to engine, moving
it around listening for engine noises..
pinpoint the 'rattling' area..

sounds must be amplified/modified passing thru
fairing panels, including varying tight or loose
fasteners [bit like tightening a guitar string effect]
so even one or two loose fasteners could create
some difference in engine sound..

members have reported loose fasteners in fairing
lower, under front tank cover, under seat
and inside instrument panel..
these would be real 'rattles' and not typical,
being presumably from assembly process..

if these checks come to no conclusion
there is still living of life and the pleasures
of riding your motorcycle, which are real
and precious.. so if she runs ok and your
honda tech hears no unusual engine sounds,
then wear earplugs [seriously] and dont let
noises destroy precious life moments..

at least until you trade in or otherwise
find another motorcycle that doesnt
'rattle'..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think every engine has its qwirks. My old 250 did this too but it was totally normal. My new bike (not a 250) has some too. I read somewhere harmonics from the engine/frame could explain it and felt it was a decent explanation. I find many aspects of the 250 very high quality compared to my new bike though, so in my opinion its not a quality issue, more of an engine qwirk. The 250 is a solid ass bike.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
pair valve nose has been a cause of 'rattling'
in various motorcycles, up on youtube
for years now.. one solution for one type
of ball bearing movement valve function
was filling the valve with viscous oil..

thus allowing valve to function, but preventing
the ball form moving quickly, thus 'rattling'..
cant recall that model of other details,
but the point there is that it was an external
valve doing its thing,, sendlers pair valve..

461 - 473 of 473 Posts