Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,
My first post here, I was looking at the CBR250 with great expectation,
I've never had a street single, although I've had larger Honda's and Ducati's in the past. But after reading about the mysterious 5000-5500 engine rattle that Honda is unwilling to address, I'm thinking that maybe I should look at the Ninja instead. Your opinion?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

It's nothing a rubberband can't fix.

The Ninja just isn't worth flushing the carbs over the river with the risk of gumming them up.

If it were something serious, we all wouldn't still be riding them.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
And it isn't an "engine rattle" not sure where you are pulling your info.

It's a rattle more towards the front. Sounds like fairings just need to be tightened a mm or 2.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Great first post.

You can join the list of kawasaki dealers on here.
Time for a group spamming of the Ninja forums eh guys? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. I got the info on the engine rattle right here on the CBR250.net site. Here is the link: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/1561-engine-rattle-sign-up.html With over 20,000 views, it is one of the most viewed threads on the site and from reading the posts, the rattle sounds pretty bad. If it can be rectified, I'm all about purchasing one. If not, maybe not....who want to ride a "buzzy" bike? (I had my share of that with dirt bikes). My question is serious because the topic seems to be so prevalent and unresolvable. Not having owned either the CBR 250 or a 250 Ninja, I simply ask your opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I feel discombobulated.. Honda gave me no rattle.

So I rattle its little ring off in the hope I get one to no avail :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've read through all of that too, and it doesn't seem like there's a consensus on the cause, or even that there's a consensus on the problem. My bike sounds different than previous bikes I've owned, but there's nothing that concerns me about it. It's a fun commuter bike that runs good and I'm happy with my purchase. You'll have to do what you feel comfortable with, but there are a ton of people on here that love their bikes. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too read the thread about engine rattle but went for a test ride anyway because Honda has a great reputation and I feel reasonably safe purchasing a Honda. Since I now have 300 miles on the bike I can say that I have no regrets. I do hear some noises but I think some noise is normal. What I mean is I do not hear anything that stands out and makes me want to pick up the phone to call the dealer. This is my first single cylinder also so I don't have any experience or comparison. It really is a fun bike. Go for a test ride. If it feels good buy it and don't worry! No one that I have heard of has had a bike detonate! lol Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
First off... welcome to the forum. It's unfortunate that you jumped into the rattle fray so soon. You may want to check some of the other threads that talk about what a fun, reliable, thrifty, and fun bike the CBR is. From what I can tell of the rattle, it does not seem to be causing harm to the engine and, while it can be annoying to some, to others they barely notice it. In the end the VAST majority of riders have not heard this rattle. Those that do have every right to complain to their dealer and insist that it be corrected. I can not see this as a reason not to buy this bike.

Enjoy the forum and welcome to our mostly-friendly group

·
Registered
879 Posts
The rattle is annoying to me but the bike runs great. Dont understand why some do it and some dont. It bothers me theres been no responce from honda somethings just not right with this motor

·
Registered
260 Posts
Based on my current experience with the engine rattle, I would still by the CBR in a half a heart beat. There has been no performance impact or degradation reliability. I say stick with the CBR. Sure the ninja is a great bike too but the CBR is where it is at!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
If you noted the posting about the Canadian 2112 models being rattle-free (on the problems topics) you might guess that the newer bikes are less prone to this problem. The bike has a spanking new engine and moderately complicated fairing attachments. Probably adding "washers" cut from inner tube (a poor man's grommet repair technique) would eliminate looseness in the fairing attachment points.

Have people done the stethoscope trick (even using a screwdriver) to determine the source of the sound with the engine revved and the bike at rest? You have to have the engine ubuttoned/exposed to do this, but it seems like the logical first step. If it can't be reproduced revving the engine with the bike at rest it certainly isn't the engine. You can look for other harmonic sources while the bike is unbuttoned.

Reactions: Shanni

·
Registered
354 Posts
If not, maybe not....who want to ride a "buzzy" bike? (I had my share of that with dirt bikes).

the ninja will out buzz the cbr by design. what kind of dirtbikes Hodaka super Rat?

Ha Ha Ha, I bought a klr 650, and all the 'common knowledge' about thumper vibration is all over the forums. I put 5/95 dirt/street tires on it and all the vibration was gone. dirt bikes on hard pack or fire roads will get knobby vibration.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have people done the stethoscope trick (even using a screwdriver) to determine the source of the sound with the engine revved and the bike at rest? You have to have the engine ubuttoned/exposed to do this, but it seems like the logical first step. If it can't be reproduced revving the engine with the bike at rest it certainly isn't the engine. You can look for other harmonic sources while the bike is unbuttoned.[/QUOTE]

been doing it for years. large handle screwdriver. cheaper than a mechanics stethscope

1 - 16 of 16 Posts