Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm taking mine in to the dealer this week. It's becoming a daily event, and I'm tired of it. I'm not doing a two-step to avoid this problem with a brand new under-warranty bike.

2012 Honda CBR250R - Starting Problem - YouTube

Finally caught it on video to show the service guys.
Yes! That's exactly what it is! I plan on showing them as well. It needs to be fixed, under warranty, no excuses. This happens to me almost daily.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wow yeah, I've not had that at all...

I do have a little roughness at start which steadies out within about a seconds, but yeah... it doesn't stumble that much or backfire for sure...

I've had it die once, but just because it stumbled too hard. Fired back up perfect, smooth idle immediately.

Can't wait for my shop book to be here, aggravates me it took me so long to order it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, mine started out with an uneven idle when first started, it got better after the first service and then it got worse. It turned into this problem where on a cold start (bike sitting for generally 12 hours or more - usually overnight) it would do exactly what's pictured in the video.

I can cheat by running up the throttle when it first starts, but should this be something that I have to do on a 2012 with 3k on the clock? Don't think so.

In all other respects I LOVE this bike. Anyway, we'll give the dealer a chance to fix it before I start ranting and raving, it's a fairly minor hiccup in an otherwise enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yeah, mine started out with an uneven idle when first started, it got better after the first service and then it got worse. It turned into this problem where on a cold start (bike sitting for generally 12 hours or more - usually overnight) it would do exactly what's pictured in the video.

I can cheat by running up the throttle when it first starts, but should this be something that I have to do on a 2012 with 3k on the clock? Don't think so.

In all other respects I LOVE this bike. Anyway, we'll give the dealer a chance to fix it before I start ranting and raving, it's a fairly minor hiccup in an otherwise enjoyable experience.
Well, any carb-equipped 2012 bike, if it's warm enough to not need choke (or much) you would give it a little throttle to stabilize right after starting, or it would die. And if you choked it a bit much and it still died, it may backfire.

I suspect this is another sign that points to ICV issues, similar to what is being speculated lately about the "engine dies when I shift" threads.

If the ICV is slow to react, bleh, engine dies at idle. If the engine is cold and being enriched to compensate, and the ICV is slow to react, bleh, engine dies and backfire?

Many times such an issue will not show up on OBD. I wonder if anyone who has had either problem has inspected their ICV for proper operation or had it inspected by a shop?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well no help here. Left my bike with the dealer for two and a half days and got a "could not reproduce issue" report when I went to pick it up (of course it did it AGAIN when I started the bike outside), warned them I would be back when I had the option of leaving the bike with them longer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never had this problem until I got it back from the Honda dealer after the 600 mile service. Now it happens every first startup of the day.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine has been doing it on start up since around 550 miles or so. Now it's getting to the point where it takes 2-3 pushes of the starter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Matter of fact..here are both of my vids doing it. I plan on posting a new vid every time it does it for as long as I own it.

2012 Honda CBR250R-more stalling - YouTube

CBR250R start up stalling issue. - YouTube
That is not the same issue I was having.
Mine would stall almost immediately and it was more of an out of fuel type gentle stall.

Yours runs much longer and then sounds like the rotating assembly stops instantly. Like the engine siezed. You still feel normal power when riding or is it real slow?
I'd be curious to know compression test results.

Have you checked to see if air filter is covered in oil?

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is not the same issue I was having.
Mine would stall almost immediately and it was more of an out of fuel type gentle stall.

Yours runs much longer and then sounds like the rotating assembly stops instantly. Like the engine siezed. You still feel normal power when riding or is it real slow?
I'd be curious to know compression test results.

Have you checked to see if air filter is covered in oil?
You know it's funny you mention this, it does seem to have become sluggish in first gear. More so with more miles it gets. Or has gotten, I haven't been riding lately. I have checked the filter, all is fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine has been doing it on start up since around 550 miles or so. Now it's getting to the point where it takes 2-3 pushes of the starter.
Hi all, new member here...first post. Just picked up my red CBR this week and love it! It does, however, have this stall on cold start issue. After reading this thread I thought I'd try something. Usually I start the bike standing beside it and hit the start button, fires immediately then stalls. Hit it again and fires right up and goes to 1500-1800 rpm idle and all is well. This morning I sat on the bike and twisted throttle maybe 1/4 turn or less and held it while starting. Viola!!! Fired right up and NO stall and idled perfectly. Maybe some of you can try that and see if it works. Great site and look forward to contributing!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi all, new member here...first post. Just picked up my red CBR this week and love it! It does, however, have this stall on cold start issue. After reading this thread I thought I'd try something. Usually I start the bike standing beside it and hit the start button, fires immediately then stalls. Hit it again and fires right up and goes to 1500-1800 rpm idle and all is well. This morning I sat on the bike and twisted throttle maybe 1/4 turn or less and held it while starting. Viola!!! Fired right up and NO stall and idled perfectly. Maybe some of you can try that and see if it works. Great site and look forward to contributing!!
I have tried, it doesn't work for me..it bogs down and still stalls. Only time it stays running is upon second to third start.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
i don't have a problem with with my bike but i used to have the same type of problem with my old Datsun. what it turned out to be with it was one of the fuel line fittings wasn't tight enough and air would get into the line when the car was turned off. this car was carburated so it didn't have the fuel pump prime the lines before starting. what i ended up doing was putting in a fuel pump switch so i could run the pump prior to starting and refill the lines. i wonder if, when your bike is switched off, there is a high point in the fuel line where an air leak, such as a loose fitting, drains the fuel and leaves just enough fuel in the line to start the bike then stall. in doing so, the bike runs long enough to fill the line so it stays running on the second startup.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My bike has stopped stalling, it still idles rough for the first 30 seconds, with the rpm hopping around a bit before settling into a more even pace.

One of the posts here suggested just taking the bike out and riding the hell out of it, ring its neck, give it a real workout. So I did precisely that. Just running it up to redline before changing gears and riding just a wee bit more aggressively than I normally would for about an hour.

First off it was fun, rampaging around and just enjoying the bike. Second it actually seemed to work, since doing that a month ago my bike hasn't actually stalled once.

So, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My bike has stopped stalling, it still idles rough for the first 30 seconds, with the rpm hopping around a bit before settling into a more even pace.

One of the posts here suggested just taking the bike out and riding the hell out of it, ring its neck, give it a real workout. So I did precisely that. Just running it up to redline before changing gears and riding just a wee bit more aggressively than I normally would for about an hour.

First off it was fun, rampaging around and just enjoying the bike. Second it actually seemed to work, since doing that a month ago my bike hasn't actually stalled once.

So, for what it's worth.
Maybe you should do it again.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts