Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the CBR brand new in March...ran perfect, at about 500 miles the engine would stall on first/cold start of the day, and would start up and run fine again after the first stall. I assumed the valves just needed adjusting and had them checked at the 600 mile service. They were in spec and the bike still does this still now at 2k miles. I also tried to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes.
Before I bring it in to the dealer I would like to get some input on here and try to solve this myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried different gas stations, non ethanol to "top tier" gas...no difference ever...also warm idle is about 1400 rpms.
If its cold on he first start the engine will idle about 1600rpms(kind of rough) then if I try to give it gas it dies. And I restart it, it idles about 1900 rpms until warms up then back to 1400. Also if I drive off when the engine is cold is feels like it hesitates a bit for the first minute or so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
With the fuel injection you shouldn't have to give it any gas while or after its been started. Let it rev as high as it want for a bit it should drop to normal idle when ready. If it's cold mine usually jumps to about 2000 rpm when I first start and drops to 1400 ish after about thirty seconds or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the fuel injection you shouldn't have to give it any gas while or after its been started. Let it rev as high as it want for a bit it should drop to normal idle when ready. If it's cold mine usually jumps to about 2000 rpm when I first start and drops to 1400 ish after about thirty seconds or so.
I know this, but on a cold start it stalls out 100% of the time if I dont try to keep it alive with the gas, and if I do try to keep it alive with the gas it will stall out about 60% of the time. On the first start it doesnt idle as high as it should, but after it stalls and I restart it, it has a nice cold idle and everything works as it should.

·
Registered
394 Posts
How long do you hold the starter motor button in for? It could be a simple case of you letting go too early, thinking it's good to start and it just doesn't have enough juice yet. In cold weather I'll usually hold the button in for a little bit longer. Force of habit from too many flame ignition systems (bbq's, grills, fryers, etc) that wanted to cut out too early :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts