Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some information on how the 250R was tested by the EPA to obtain 77MPG. The Title 40.F, which gives the EPA test procedures says that the shift points are from the manufacturers or if none are given they will use:

Shift
Speed
1st to 2d gear
19 km/h (11.8 mi/h).
2d to 3d gear
33 km/h (20.5 mi/h).
3d to 4th gear
44 km/h (27.3 mi/h).
4th to 5th gear
53 km/h (32.9 mi/h).

Does anyone know what the Honda recommended shift speeds are that the EPA used for the CBR250R?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to model a 250R over the EPA test cycle for a larger research project, so making sure that I have the correct shift points is important. Is there anything in the owner's manual about suggested shift points?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good to see that the EPA uses real world shift speeds. :rolleyes: I tend to shift closer to redline, but I also think that getting 60+ MPG riding like I do is hypermileing. :D. I've never even considered trying for 70 or 80 MPG.

The Owner's Manual lists the shift speeds at 12, 19, 25, 31, 37.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RVOKNIO, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Actually, despite some misconceptions, while accelerating shifting in the power band of the motorcycle is more efficient than shifting at low RPMs. Engines use less gas per hp in the powerband than at low RPMs (BSFC is close to an inverted torque curve). So less gas will be used coming up to speed at a moderate pace, than slowly coming up to speed and shifting early. Now once at speed operating at a lower RPM and using a pulse/glide technique will optimize gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Cbr is most effective shifting at max power (about 8500-9000), dropping to max torque (about 6000-6500).. repeat process thru each gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts