Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am considering candidates for my first motorcycle and was hoping I could get some thoughts on whether the CBR250R might be a good fit, both literally as well as for my transportation needs. I am a taller rider at 6 ft 1 in, and I gather from what I have read that I may still fit reasonably well on this bike. I am planning on getting my motorcycle license (after taking the safety class) next month as my 40th birthday present to myself. I have been riding a 50cc scooter around town and commuting a short distance to work over the last few years, so I do have a little riding experience, and I certainly am used to getting the most out of a small displacement machine. My little Honda Ruckus has only known WOT 90% of the time.

I think the 250 cc size suits me just fine as I'll probably use a motorcycle to commute to work and run errands around town, perhaps venturing out on some faster but non-interstate roads as my confidence grows. I am also considering a more standard bike like the TU250X. Ignoring performance and obvious aesthetic differences, I am more concerned about the differences in riding position and comfort. I suppose on shorter-distance rides it doesn't matter much, but this must come into play for longer rides. I have checked out the excellent cycle-ergo site, and it gives me a lean angle of 16 degrees and a knee angle of 71 degrees vs. 1 degree lean and 79 degree knee angle for the TU. I have been able to sit on the CBR at the dealer, and it felt reasonably comfortable, but I have yet to find a TU to compare in person. I suppose the ideal way to compare would be with long test rides back to back, but I am not even sure I will be able to test drive one, let alone both.

Any general words of wisdom on ergonomics and what general range of knee and lean angles are reasonably comfortable? I imagine the CBR is pretty relaxed for a sport-style bike, but it is still a sportier position compared to a more standard set-up. Is it worse being taller on the CBR in terms of the handlebars being relatively lower? Anyone of a similar height compare these two, or other US available 250 cc bikes? I am leaving out the Ninja as I would really prefer fuel injection as some cold weather bogging is a mild nuisance I am familiar with on my current scooter. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a TU250X briefly before getting my CBR250RA. I also ride an Aprilia Tuono. The Honda is a better bike than the Suzuki, I think. I'm 6'1" and both fit fine. I didn't like the tubed tires on the Suzuki, for a start. The Honda is much better looking. Also like the Honda's ABS.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
155 Posts
The TU250 was involved in a 250cc shoot out at one of the motorcycle sites and it was the preferred bike over the group which included the new ninja.. I can't recall if the CBR was included in the shootout.

As far as comfort. I think it's a natural progression for people to want to sit up straighter no matter what bike they have.. It seems that every other thread over at the popular ADVrider.com is about rising the handle bars on any given model. I raised them on my 07 ninja. It's just more comfortable to sit up straight.

I sat on a new 2012 Ninja 650.. and my brother has a 2011 Ninja 650.. You sit up straighter than you do on the CBR250r. You're bent over quite a bit on the CBR. I don't think I would like it for very long.

You have the real sport bikes which have the bars super low and are not practical for anything but racing. You than have what I would call the standard category which is comprised of naked bikes and faired bikes but offers a much more upright riding position. There definitely seems to be a move towards performance bikes with upright ergonomics. Finally you have the adventure/dual sport bikes which to me offer the most in terms of comfort. The Vstrom and the Versys are the most comfortable bikes i've sat on.

Check out this site, Motorcycle Ergonomics . It allows you to compare the ergonomics of virtually every model using images. It's an excellent tool.

Hit the "add motorcycle" link... Pick the manufacture and model. The image of a body on the bike will appear. If you want to compare the ergos to another bike simply click the add motorcycle link again, pick another bike and than you can overlay the images to compare the ergonomics.

According to this site the CBR has a 17% lean angle. Contrast that with my 07 ninja which has a 12% lean angle. Even 12% was too much for me hence the purchasing of bar risers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In general I find the slightly forward leaning position more comfortable than upright. I take the bumps much better at a slight lean and it's much more natural, against the wind and when cutting around and taking corners. On long, boring straights, I do wish I could be a little more upright.

On the cbr, you can move forward and back on the seat which make a bit of difference. But there is no way to gracefully tuck in on a standard. Also don't underestimate the beneficial effects of the faring, against the wind, the cbr250r lets you become like an arrow.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
In general I find the slightly forward leaning position more comfortable than upright. I take the bumps much better at a slight lean and it's much more natural, against the wind and when cutting around and taking corners. On long, boring straights, I do wish I could be a little more upright.

On the cbr, you can move forward and back on the seat which make a bit of difference. But there is no way to gracefully tuck in on a standard. Also don't underestimate the beneficial effects of the faring, against the wind, the cbr250r lets you become like an arrow.
+100000000000000000

Great post!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi, I am considering candidates for my first motorcycle and was hoping I could get some thoughts on whether the CBR250R might be a good fit, both literally as well as for my transportation needs. I am a taller rider at 6 ft 1 in, and I gather from what I have read that I may still fit reasonably well on this bike. I am planning on getting my motorcycle license (after taking the safety class) next month as my 40th birthday present to myself. I have been riding a 50cc scooter around town and commuting a short distance to work over the last few years, so I do have a little riding experience, and I certainly am used to getting the most out of a small displacement machine. My little Honda Ruckus has only known WOT 90% of the time.

I think the 250 cc size suits me just fine as I'll probably use a motorcycle to commute to work and run errands around town, perhaps venturing out on some faster but non-interstate roads as my confidence grows. I am also considering a more standard bike like the TU250X. Ignoring performance and obvious aesthetic differences, I am more concerned about the differences in riding position and comfort. I suppose on shorter-distance rides it doesn't matter much, but this must come into play for longer rides. I have checked out the excellent cycle-ergo site, and it gives me a lean angle of 16 degrees and a knee angle of 71 degrees vs. 1 degree lean and 79 degree knee angle for the TU. I have been able to sit on the CBR at the dealer, and it felt reasonably comfortable, but I have yet to find a TU to compare in person. I suppose the ideal way to compare would be with long test rides back to back, but I am not even sure I will be able to test drive one, let alone both.

Any general words of wisdom on ergonomics and what general range of knee and lean angles are reasonably comfortable? I imagine the CBR is pretty relaxed for a sport-style bike, but it is still a sportier position compared to a more standard set-up. Is it worse being taller on the CBR in terms of the handlebars being relatively lower? Anyone of a similar height compare these two, or other US available 250 cc bikes? I am leaving out the Ninja as I would really prefer fuel injection as some cold weather bogging is a mild nuisance I am familiar with on my current scooter. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I'm 6' and with gear and my backpack, I am very comfortable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
But there is no way to gracefully tuck in on a standard. Also don't underestimate the beneficial effects of the faring, against the wind, the cbr250r lets you become like an arrow.
Well, since I don't really see the point to tucking and cutting the air like an arrow on a 250 with 25 horses, wind resistance isn't much of an issue for me.;) I guess if you are taking it to the track for some fun... but otherwise I'll just buy a bigger bike if I'm worried about cutting air.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm 6' and with gear and my backpack, I am very comfortable.
I find that comfort is a relative word. My ninja is very comfortable but since owning the ninja and after I neglected my CB200 for a few months.. I recently jumped on the CB200 and took it for a ride and thought to myself wow this is really comfortable compared to the ninja!!!. Now I'm used to the ninja again and it seems very comfortable once again.:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Im only 5' 11" tall but i like the ergonomics better than my honda shadow ace i had. I get less wind on me & it doesnt hurt my back or butt. Longest ride was 40 miles on the CBR. Was comfortable to me.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The cbr fits my 6 foot easily but the bars are too high and the pegs too low.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, since I don't really see the point to tucking and cutting the air like an arrow on a 250 with 25 horses, wind resistance isn't much of an issue for me.;) I guess if you are taking it to the track for some fun... but otherwise I'll just buy a bigger bike if I'm worried about cutting air.

This post makes no sense. Most people dont have the money to "just buy a bigger bike." Why dont I just buy a super motard, a dual sport, a cruiser, a tourer, a 600, and a liter bike, for whenever I want to do the things those bikes are good at. I wish I could, believe me. But I have a 250cc CBR250R that saves me a ton at the pump, provides me with fun in the canyons. The drawback is on the highway where I may just need to tuck and cut through the air like an arrow because I only have 25 horses. Wind resistance is an issue as long as your on planet Earth subject to the same physics as the rest of us.

This bike is generally comfortable. Riders who dont like sport bikes are always surprised when they give my bike a sit. Ive done 30 + miles of aggressive canyons in one sitting, short break, another 30, and the comfort level is pretty decent. I commute 20-30min with it daily, hit the highway daily, its a comfortable bike allowing for both a leaned and a straight sit.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This post makes no sense. Most people dont have the money to "just buy a bigger bike." Why dont I just buy a super motard, a dual sport, a cruiser, a tourer, a 600, and a liter bike, for whenever I want to do the things those bikes are good at. I wish I could, believe me. But I have a 250cc CBR250R that saves me a ton at the pump, provides me with fun in the canyons. The drawback is on the highway where I may just need to tuck and cut through the air like an arrow because I only have 25 horses. Wind resistance is an issue as long as your on planet Earth subject to the same physics as the rest of us.

This bike is generally comfortable. Riders who dont like sport bikes are always surprised when they give my bike a sit. Ive done 30 + miles of aggressive canyons in one sitting, short break, another 30, and the comfort level is pretty decent. I commute 20-30min with it daily, hit the highway daily, its a comfortable bike allowing for both a leaned and a straight sit.
Very accurate post. Well said.

·
Registered
5 Posts

^^^this

I'm 6'1" plus a little and 41 years old. My legs are pretty short for my size though, I just flat foot at a stop. This is my first bike. I really wanted a Versys or V-strom type/size, but the wallet kept me back. I'm pretty happy with this bike. I've ridden it for an hour and a half straight and had no discomfort. I use it to commute as long as it's not rainy or too cold (SoCal, so cold is relative). I'm glad that I didn't get a bigger bike to start with. Maybe in a year or two the finances will be better and I'll step up. I never thought I'd get a sport looking bike either. I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The smaller the engine the more reason for an option of an aero position.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I find the CBR to have a almost perfect seat position. Compared to sit up and beg sit positions like the FZ1 or 2012 Ninja 650 its allows a semi sporty stance. I have yet to find a bike from the 2012 line that has such and impression comfort/sport balance in rider feel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've gotten used to the ergonomics but I learned to ride on a Nighthawk 250 way back when and I would still prefer the ergonomics of that bike. I suppose a lot depends on how much open highway riding you do; in my case it's not much.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I prefer this to the Nighthawk 250 and my old Ninja 250.

All personal preference though. The CBR just fits me perfectly. I've sat on a lot of bikes, and this one just feels the best.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts