Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I've been listening all sorts of exhaust videos and I've pretty much decided on an Akrapovic exhaust for my bike.

That being said, I'm somewhat torn about whether to get a carbon vs. metal exhaust. There are one or two things I'd like for you all to comment on, but first... The sound. I simply cannot tell the difference between a carbon exhaust sound vs. a metal exhaust sound. I've tried to find videos of the same brand to try and compare apples to apples.

I've read here that some users find metal "tinny" whereas carbon has a deeper tone. Perhaps my ears of coming on 37 years old cannot tell anymore? Maybe YouTube vids don't do the sound justice.

The other thing if you all could comment on is life expectancy. I've read that canisters need to be re-packed every 7-10k km. A mechanic friend told me if I'm going to have a bike long enough to re-pack the muffler to avoid carbon. I was told that long term riding can wear loose the muffler rivets and cause rattle and/or vibrations - whereas this problem doesn't happen on metal mufflers.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the carbon sounds a little deeper, may be just me tho.
Don't know about the pop rivets.
Have heard you shouldn't use carbon exhaust on a dyno, as it over heats due to lack of air flow.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hey Toof its hard to get good audio on most cameras but yes Ally is usually rattling tincan sound , carbon is a deep thump, check the Akra thread.

As for repacking its easy, same as any MX/Enduro muffler.
Just drill out the stainless rivets carefully. All mufflers need this regardles of type or brand.

The rivets coming loose will happen to any cheap exhaust regarles of material, Hi temp silastic is good to seal the endcaps and avoid vibration.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll have to admit, I'm skeptical of the long term durability of composites in high heat applications. I think it mostly comes down to the quality of the material. My truck has a plastic intake manifold, and it's going on 13 yrs old with no problems.

·
Registered
269 Posts
the carbon definitely stays cooler than aluminum, but if left in the sun a lot it can fade. that's the only real problem i'm aware of. titanium can be very fragile under high heat. akro is a good brand and i wouldn't worry as much about long term durability. two bro's are crap and fall apart and sound like a fart can

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your opinions. Hoping for some more thoughts from the community so keep the posts coming please.

Had a chance to listen to Yoshi again today, but side-by-side metal vs. carbon. Can't say I can hear a discernible difference. Gonna chalk that one up to my old man hearing changing on me. C'est la vie.

@DoubleRGirl
Funny you should mention Two Bros. My bike mechanic friend didn't have many good things to say about them, other than they "look" pretty. When I asked him about build quality - he politely didn't have anything to say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just came across this on the Akrapovic website:

Performance - Akrapovi

Is the sound of the carbon outer sleeve muffler different from the titanium outer sleeve muffler? Is there any influence on performance?
No, neither the sound nor the performance is affected. The choice is purely aesthetic.

Maybe my old man ears aren't failing me? /shrug

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'll take my crappy 2Bros fart can everyday of the week over a Yoshi tin can.

·
Registered
269 Posts
^didn't mean any offense to those with them. i just know of people who have them and the packing wears out really quickly and the rivets have gotten loose. when that happens they just sound really harsh

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have never noticed any difference in sound from metel or carbon mufflers. The insides are packed the same so I dont think the outer shell has that much to do with it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
^if it's good quality carbon it should hold up alright. i've had mine for over 2 years and still looks the same as when it was new. the first year or so the bike lived outside even

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I had an Arrow CF on a Triumph for 6 yrs.. still looked new after 60,000km.
Used Inox on it with no pobs... not sure what is recommended but it worked.
I would not use Armour all as it does yellow some materials.

·
Registered
282 Posts
^didn't mean any offense to those with them. i just know of people who have them and the packing wears out really quickly and the rivets have gotten loose. when that happens they just sound really harsh
none taken, and to be fair I never worry to much about packing or rivets as have replaced these before on other cans, and running it without the db killer (as i do) at idle sounding like a fart can would be an improvement ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was actually surprised with how deep the sound is coming from my Stainless LeoVince system. Sounds bigger thank a 250.
Without the dB killer it sounds too much like a CRF450, so I am running the dB killer in mine. Nice deep idle, with only a light 'Bark" under load :)

Either build is fine. I just prefer the Stainless look..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts