Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Check out my first customization of my bike. I took the heat shield off. Pounded the dents with a rubber hammer, sanded the rough spots and then painted the thing with rustoleum paint. I haven't driven it since doing this so I hope the paint lasts. But for $4 and miminal effort I could see doing this anytime it chips.

Tell me what you think. I love it so far and think it is an improvement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks good. If the heat does mess up the paint consider using high temperature paint next. There is one for cooking grills and one for engines/automotive, either should work and be able to stand up to the heat.

Reactions: TrippplePPP

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I actually used the one for grills. It said good to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope my exhaust doesn't exceed that, haha.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The heat shield doesn't really get all that hot, so as long as you used grill paint you shouldn't have any problems.
I've actually done this a couple of times since I've owned my CBR and I also have a black one.
The first time I did it I used a flat dark grey, which looked just fine and lasted a couple of years.
When it came time to do it again I shopped around until I found a black "satin" (semi-gloss) grill paint, which was closer to the color and finish of the tank and fairings.
I have to say the black satin looked a lot better and was a big improvement over the flat finish I used the first time.
All moot now since I just added a Delkevic carbon fiber slip-on last week and it looks 100% better than anything I ever did to the stock muffler (and allowed me to shed almost 15 pounds off the bike - those stock mufflers are as heavy as a freakin' anchor...lol.)

Now that you've dipped your toes in modding your bike, I think a fender eliminator to replace that ugly stock rear fender is in order.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice. I first purchased a black replacement shield (2013 version) from the Honda dealer. It was around $30. After I dropped it a couple of times (standing still, not moving!) I started painting it. Used the same stuff you used. Rustoleum grill paint. A good sanding job and a couple of coats has lasted for over a year so far. I may try that black satin the next time like TrueFaith. To me, it looks a lot better than the original silver and saves the hassles and expense of changing out the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just be careful not to lose any of the 3 small rubber anti-vibration tabs on the muffler when you remove the heat shield.
Sometimes they stay with the shield part and can drop off and get lost.
(Part #2 in the diagram.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd update my old thread.

The black rustoleum grill paint still looks great on my bike and hasn't shown and chips or problems. I ride my bike all the time and it still looks good.

I may black out a few more parts on the bike now that I gained some confidence with this paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking of painting mine also, and had a few quick questions. First I need to sand out a few scratches due to the bike tipping over - what's the best grit to use for that? Second - I have the Repsol edition and am thinking of painting it orange to go with the black exhaust. Has anyone tried that? If so, how does it look? I figure if it looks garish I can always repaint it black. Any color match recommnedations for orange? I know Color-Rite has a Repsol Orange but it seems ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to update this post.

The heat shield still looks great. The thing hasn't chipped at all and the color still looks great. I'm very glad I painted the heat shield. I plan to paint the rear-sets once I get my all black metal foot pegs in the mail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts