Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from WV. here we go again with a should I buy question. But, please help. A little background. I am a 33 year old from WV, Except for the last few years, I have a sportbike since I was 16, I have owned, ZX6, ZX636, ZX9, GSXR 600, RC51, and Buell Firebolt. I have always been a aggresive rider, and love the curves. All my ridding buddies always wanted me to road race, but never had the interest. ( not trying to brag, just giving you back ground). Currently I have caught the fever and want to ride again. Being in college again, I can not afford a 10k plus bike. So I have been looking at the mighty 250s. I am not looking for a commuter, dont care about gas mpg, I am looking for something to take to the mountains on the weekends and have fun. I am older now, so going 150mpr plus isnt that big of a deal, but I do want something that I can still have fun on and can pull me around and give me a rush ( I am 240lbs now) IS THE CBR 250 for me??? Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
329 Posts
My suggestion (but I am not an experienced rider, just interested in bikes in general)
is taking a motard, even a Yamaha XT-x (very common here, do not know where you live) could fit for what you're asking.

;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Unless you're going to use it as a commuter or to save on gas you'll probably be disappointed. In your case I would look for something like a good used 650 Ninja. You can get one for around 3.5K
I agree!! I bought mine to use as an econo-commuter but I have five other bikes to satisfy my other riding needs. I used to sell bikes and I've always been a fan of the 650 Ninja.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
From your back ground I would assume you'd be disappointed then frustrated. The 250 is an awesome bike that meets the needs of riders from all back grounds but as you posted you are looking for more than what the 250 may give you in the long run. Look at "gently used" bikes to save the $$. Perhaps the cbr600? Still a Honda but a fun ride that I am confident will "spin ur spurs" on the twisties.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Id make some sacrifices & buy new. I dont think you find any gently used sport bikes, in my opinion. Unless you know the previous owner. If you want fun the CBR is that. My honda motard is also fun, but its only a 230.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to look at used bikes. Don't get me wrong, the 250 is a fun, agile little bike that you would probably have a blast on. With that said, if you're familiar with bigger displacement bikes, especially sport bikes, there's a good chance you will be disappointed with it. I have fun on in, but it makes me love my gixxer all that much more when I climb on. The CBR has everything you could want except the power. If your not weighing the benefits of mileage, etc, a used 600 is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Take a look at the Ninja 250. I used to own one. Redline was at 13k. They are fun to wind up and blast through the twisties. I got the CBR for commuting, it does that much better. I still prefered the Ninja in the twisties though.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Perfect choice sportriderwv, especially where you are (I have friends in WV that send me pics of their countryside)

Similar to you, always had sportsbikes, had a break, wanted to get a bike that would not break the bank, have some fun, and not have to do 120mph+ everywhere before it became fun, this bike still does 100mph anyway.

Got a little cbr and it surprised me so much that I took it to the track within 3 months, now 3 months later its becoming a 250 proddy racebike.
The cbr is stable handler yet very nimble... dont let the 25hp put you off, thats what makes it fun.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
FUN is the cbr250r's middle name :)

wow ... i disagree with L2R and i agree with ......... Aufitt !?:confused:

sorry L2R you know i love you but for this thread ... since i disagree with you , i guess ,
your bike sucks and your puppies are ugly ??? :mad:
jk l2r
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D see , even the site is fun :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Street Sniper loves me :)

aw shucks heh :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
As the saying goes, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow...

As a guy who has also had several very fast bikes, I don't have much fun on the CBR250. It just doesn't have the throttle response in the twisties to get the blood going, and I'm not a fan of the brakes at all. It's frankly a chore to ride it when I've got somewhere to be. On the other hand, I hardly ride my CBR600 any more because I only have fun on it when I'm pushing it, and you've got to be pretty stupid to push a bike like that on public roads.

No, I usually ride my Stryker these days. I grind a set of foot pegs down to stubs every couple of months, have a blast all the time at reasonable speeds, it has plenty of torque to get me going, and I'm a lot more comfortable on the way to work. Plus a cruiser is more my style; always has been. I know that's not going to be a popular opinion on this site, but that's how I roll.

All that said, the CBR250 is a great bike. I bought it for my wife, and it's absolutely perfect for her needs. She's a small girl, and a newer rider, and not terribly interested in going really fast. More pluses: the riding position is very comfortable, even for a big guy like me. It's probably the easiest bike to ride that I've ever been on. It's very forgiving to mistakes with clutch and throttle control. It's very easy to turn, slow or fast.

Maybe it is for you. It's not for me, though, and I've had a similar background to yours. I'd recommend a test ride first, that's for sure.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As the saying goes, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow...

It just doesn't have the throttle response in the twisties to get the blood going, and I'm not a fan of the brakes at all.

You must be in the wrong gear when in the twistys. My CBR's brakes work great for a bike this weight

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Get the abs model for brakes that work more than enough, never have I run out of brakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You must be in the wrong gear when in the twistys. My CBR's brakes work great for a bike this weight
I'm not trying to stir up a fight or anything, just giving my honest opinion. I know I may look like a bit of a douchenozzle saying this on this forum, but I figured the OP would appreciate another point of view.

The CBR250 is a good bike for what it is, but my opinion is that, by direct comparison to my current sport bike, a 2008 CBR600, the 250 doesn't have the get up and go that I want, and the brakes could be a lot better. Are they adequate? Yes. I still want better.

I own a 2011 CBR250. I like the bike. It's excellent quality, it does everything it promised to do. Would I buy one for me? No.

edit: I would buy one of those supermotos in a heartbeat though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Motards are lighter than sportbikes, And when you see the pavement quit you can keep going, mines a blast on the twistys. The Cbr is noticably heavier but i just had to buy the CBR after reading the good reviews for riding on the freeway. My motards just a 230 so no real freeway speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Mentat Ix, we are just giving both sides of the argument. While not a blanket statement, it has been proven over and over that people outgrow these smaller bikes. Based on that fact, someone coming from a larger bike may be disappointed.
(edit: by outgrow I mean desire more. Most people wont even ride a 250 to its full capability)
+1 on the advice to test ride one. You may fall in love with it. My rule for the fiance is don't ride my gixxer until you are ready to get a new bike. Contrary to popular belief it isn't all about the top speed, I think it's the power/acceleration that will be the deciding issue. A buddy got his wife a Ninja 500 that she loved, until she rode his GSXR-600, then she wouldn't get on hers again. It wasn't because she went faster (top speed), she fell in love with the 0-60. There is some comfort in available power, without having to downshift or ride in a lower gear for it to be there. Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
So much for big bikes I round up on the track then, and I'm only an average rider in the lower levels of coaching at the moment, and I'm on IRC's still.

Throttle response can be fixed with a Bazazz but when the tap is fully open 99% of the time it does not matter.. gear selection is key and momentum.

This bike rewards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It seems like it comes down to personality. I've been on bikes a long time and have had much more powerful motorcycles and I enjoy this bike on mountain roads. Sure the power is not great, sure the suspension is not great, nothing is great exactly, but it is capable. Maybe it is just me but I have fun attempting to see what this little bike can do. When you ride a beastly super-sport you never know where you stand exactly. The cbr250 is something that, given time, you can eventually come to master. And that is a beautiful thing, when you are no longer riding a bike but sort of become one human/machine entity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts