Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am going to be leaving the country for 9 months and am going to put my 2011 cbr250 in a garage for that entire time, I am just wondering what measures I should take (in terms of the fluids and what not) whene it is going to be unused for 9 straight months to prevent any damage.

Also, this may be stupid, but I am going to be leaving it alone for about a week and a half later this month, I don't need to do anything with it for that short of a period of time do I?

Thank you so much for your help everyone

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
To store safely for 9 mo, I would add fuel stabilizer and fill the tank to the top with Ethanol-free gas. Go for a little ride, then be prepared to change the oil and filter.

Use a synthetic 10W-30 oil like Hondaline HP4s or Motul, Repsol, etc. for best protection during storage. After changing the oil, start it up and run it for 10 to 15 seconds - no more. Don't start it again until you are ready to ride for 30 min. The coating of fresh synthetic oil will protect the engine from corrosion. Block the intake and exhaust if there is any chance little critters might looking for a home. Adjust and lube the chain. Check the fluids. If the brake fluid is anything but clear, flush it. Make sure the tires are a few pounds over normal. Put a cover on it.

You could remove the battery and find a way to get it charged occasionally, which would extend its life once back in service.

The oil change is the most important part IMO.

Jay

·
745 Posts
I agree with jkv on most everything, especially the battery. I'd definitely remove and store in a warm dry place, and trickle charge it every month or so if at all possible.

I'd add a big pan of mouse bait under the bike, unless you have dogs or cats that might eat it. In that case I'd put a small container under the seat or on top of the engine. Your biggest danger is probably critters nesting and/or deciding to chew on wires.

It's also a good idea to get the tires off the floor - a lot of the classic car sites argue that direct contact with a concrete floor for long periods will increase the chance of dry rot. Some say piece of plastic with carpet square on top, some argue that you should just make sure the tires are on dry pine boards.

Ditto on fresh, clean fluids everywhere, especially oil and brake. Brake fluid absorbs water and will result in corrosion inside the lines.

Best wishes for your overseas trip. If it's a deployment, then thank you for your service and best wishes for a safe and speedy return.

Good Luck!

Luke

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the replies. If I may ask though, neither if you responded to the second part of my question: leaving the bike for just a week, I don't have to do anything special to it or worry about any fluids or the battery, correct?

^^Luke, thank you for the wishes :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you so much for the replies. If I may ask though, neither if you responded to the second part of my question: leaving the bike for just a week, I don't have to do anything special to it or worry about any fluids or the battery, correct?

^^Luke, thank you for the wishes :)
No mate you don't need to do anything for that short a period.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
As noted, a week is no problem, but it's always a good idea to keep the tank as full as possible - especially if temps are rising and falling - to prevent condensation and rust.

When you get back, before heading out, check the tire pressure, oil level, chain tension, etc - just like usual.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts