Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my CBR 250!! :)

Are the extended warranty and tire coverage necessary and/or worth it in your opinion. I am being offered 2 years at $650 for the extended warranty for 2 years and $395 for the tires for 5 years. I am curious as the experiences of others thus far. Since I am new to motorcycles I don't know what the normal wear and tear is on them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think that is steep, this is where dealers make even more money. Things to consider: It's a Honda and if you keep its maintenance up to date you should be fine for the most part. Another factor is how long do you intend to keep the bike. I'm getting mine in a week and don't plan to get extended coverage, just a personal preference. Whatever you do read the fine print, dealers will "exagerate" coverage and service to get you to sign. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I declined the extended warranty for mine. I really think that I will not be staying on a 250 for 5 years. I love the bike but to be honest would really like a little more power for highway driving. It can do highways but I'm not as comfortable with the ability to get out of the way of traffic if I really need to...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I passed on the extended warranty too. Anything that's likely to go wrong with it is going to show itself in the first year anyway.

·
745 Posts
Extended warranties are easy income for the dealers. However, if you do want it for peace of mind, bargin - You can ususally get 25% or more off the asking price of the plan if you shrug a lot.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i got the 5yr extended for 350 but paid cash for everything.
i planned on keeping it for awhile,and it;s transferable
if i sell it which is highly unlikely because i like it better
everyday:D
that 2yr for 650 along with the tire coverage
i would have taken as an insult after getting the bike.
just gos to show you how much they need your money:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was surprised at how much they were charging. Normally I would have made an issue of it but I got such a great deal on the bike, I didn't want to push it. On the prices they quoted me I will pass but I will try to see if they will lower the price.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My dealer originally told me $800 for the extended warranty...only after telling her that everyone (on here) was getting it offered for much lower..as low as $350, she told me that I could have it at their actual cost..$500....and you have until the original 1 year warranty expires to add the extended.....
she said that $500 is how much the dealers have to pay HONDA to purchase the extended warranty and she didnt see how any dealer could sell it for less than they actually payed for it (because not everyone is greedy to get their grubby little fingers on everyone else's last dollar like my dealer is I guess)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wouldn't believe a dealer ever to tell me how much they really paid for something. There are so many factors, you never know. For all you know they could be factoring in the pay for the salesmen to spend 1 hour with you talking through the warranty.

I did not get the extended warranty, I also plan on not keeping the bike for more then a year, if not max 2. I need something bigger for the highways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does seem to depend alot on how long you plan to keep the bike. I plan to keep this bike for along time. While I am sure the labor costs are high, I just can't justify that high of a price. Are motorcycles like cars in the sense that a non-dealership mechanic will do the same work for cheaper?

·
Registered
706 Posts
My dealer originally told me $800 for the extended warranty...only after telling her that everyone (on here) was getting it offered for much lower..as low as $350, she told me that I could have it at their actual cost..$500....and you have until the original 1 year warranty expires to add the extended.....
she said that $500 is how much the dealers have to pay HONDA to purchase the extended warranty and she didnt see how any dealer could sell it for less than they actually payed for it (because not everyone is greedy to get their grubby little fingers on everyone else's last dollar like my dealer is I guess)
That's how much I paid, didn't even have to barter it, they just sold me the bike at MSRP and the warranty at cost. And because of it I've been back multiple times for things here and there. (new helmet, tank pad, grips, etc)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts