Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added extra fuel tanks to their CBR? I'm looking for a way to add about 10 litres of fuel for a trip next summer.
I've got some ideas on how to do it; I don't think it will be that complicated but learning from past experience can only help

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
no experience of carrying extra fuel,
but in general consider keeping weight
low and evenly balanced,,
as for saddlebags etc..

probably depends on how much
you want to expend in $ or time
making something decent..

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Has anyone added extra fuel tanks to their CBR? I'm looking for a way to add about 10 litres of fuel for a trip next summer.
I've got some ideas on how to do it; I don't think it will be that complicated but learning from past experience can only help
Not that difficult or complicated, however 10 liters of extra fuel is no small amount to be carrying around. You could use something like these Rotopax fuel containers...

This looks to be a good solution for a Dual Sport bike equipped with hard sided panniers...

The smaller sized Rotopax containers (1 to 1.5 gallon size) would also likely fit inside a pair of soft sided panniers, however the trade off with that would be loosing storage space for other travel necessities.

Do you plan on riding to remote areas that you feel you need to be able to carry that much extra fuel on the bike?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm looking at the Dempster highway and the new all season road to Tuktoyaktuk. There is a 410 km stretch between gas stations. I also need to have some reserve for decreased mileage due to headwinds, gravel surface, bad luck, etc.
I wouldn't have it full except for the isolated parts.
The rotopacks are nice but pricey. I was thinking of using a hardware store jug on a bracket attached to the rear left passenger footpeg.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
They are pricey, but, imagine what a conventional fuel jug would be like after a left-side low side at anything over 25 mph. Both container construction and mounting are critical if there is much "rough road". Is the Dempster paved now? {can you tell that I haven't been up there since the 1960's?}

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon looking closer, I think my longest hop without fuel will be 370 kms. I think I can get away with aluminum fuel bottles and carry about a gallon extra.
I believe most of the Dempster and all of the new part is gravel. Pavement would warm the road up too much and melt the permafrost

·
Registered
191 Posts
Camel offers 6liter (2.5+ gal) tank for the CRF250L, mounted on the left side similar to your intention. Considering both bike use the same engine, the fuel hosing should be similar as well. The tank comes with all mounting hardware and all you need to do is fabricate your own mount from the CBR's frame (IMO, not an impossible job). Plus, at 6 litter and a quite rough profile, it could help balance out the heavy stock exhaust.

I am no Camel's sale, I am only researching my option to add more fuel for my commute and came across their product. The price is steep, though. 400USD excluding shipping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmmm. That would be a neat install. The mounting hardware would likely just be a starting point, since the subframes must be different. The CRF has less fairing back there at first glance. I think I'm better off not having spare fuel plumbed right into the fuel system; too easy to burn it all without realizing it.

Tom, if you're just looking for a little backup in case you run out, I used a MSR camping fuel bottle on my last bike. Attached a bicycle water bottle cage to the passenger peg subframe and bungied the bottle in for good measure.

Incidentally, I'm going to have to change plans as I can't get enough vacation this year to realistically do the trip. I'm looking at the James Bay Road in Ontario possibly in conjunction with the North Road and/or the Northern Ontario Resource Trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts