Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the wind noise on the highway. I put a Zero Gravity Sport Touring wind screen on my 09 Ninja250 and it is now dead silent when tucked. It really sounds like you are stiing in the parking lot, revving your engine. My kids want to ride together with me too so I have a deposit on a CBR250 also which I know will kill the Ninja on fuel economy but the new Hondas are in such high demand, I may have to decide on buying one without riding it much first. What do think of your bike as a highway commuter.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I live in an area where all my travel involves highways. I find the windscreen not too bad and when there is a wind i tuck in, along with speed adjustment. However I am considereing a different windscreen in the future as I would like a somewhat larger one. Surprisingly this little bike handles wind pretty good.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wind noise?

Does fine on the Highway.
I have read reviews in magazines complaining of wind noise from the minimal fairing and shield. What do you think after living with your bike for a while?
If I buy, it will have to be from an out of town dealer that is 200 miles away from me because only the Powerhouse dealers are getting any of these bikes right now. My home dealer keeps stretching his arrival date from June to July to August since I started talking to him in April. I will pretty much have to buy sight unseen over the phone to get one before summer is gone. They are also charging me a $300 set up fee plus $75 bump for the Plates/ reg. The $3995 CBR250 turned into $4875 out the door which will leave me $1000 upside down as soon as I wheel it away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to ride on the highway unless you are not driving far. I say this because of the power, which is important to move when you have to move fast!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Highway safe

I don't think it is a good idea to ride on the highway unless you are not driving far. I say this because of the power, which is important to move when you have to move fast!
I feel safest on the highway. No side streets or driveways to pull out in front of you or head on traffic waiting to turn left right in front of you. When I tell any of my co workers that I got a bike and plan to commute the reaction is always "you aren't going to ride on the highway are you" and I have to think to myself that is where I feel safest. Plenty of room down the shoulders (once you hop the wake up strip) for a bike to evade if need be. Truth is, I have been driving the same 38 mile commute for 22 years and only had one situation where I had to evade a psycho in a new BMW who was weaving in and out while trying to pass on the right. I tend to ride in the right track of the right lane with a big truck up in ft of me so up coming traffic is automatically thinking from a long way back of moving left to get around the truck.
My Ninja250 will roll on in 6th and pull strong up to an indicated 100 (actual 90 mph) up a grade. I'm sure the Honda can be in the same league with longer gears to put 70 back down into the power band of 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have read reviews in magazines complaining of wind noise from the minimal fairing and shield. What do you think after living with your bike for a while?
If I buy, it will have to be from an out of town dealer that is 200 miles away from me because only the Powerhouse dealers are getting any of these bikes right now. My home dealer keeps stretching his arrival date from June to July to August since I started talking to him in April. I will pretty much have to buy sight unseen over the phone to get one before summer is gone. They are also charging me a $300 set up fee plus $75 bump for the Plates/ reg. The $3995 CBR250 turned into $4875 out the door which will leave me $1000 upside down as soon as I wheel it away.
Wind noise? Yep, its a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No noise

Wind noise? Yep, its a motorcycle.
My Ninja with a ZG sport tournig windsreen is dead silent in a tuck on the highway. It is almost bizarre how the sound changes from normal helmet roar to nothing but exhaust noise when laying onto the tank behind that largish screen (and the stock exhaust is pretty quiet). You look through it about 4 inches down so get the clear. Nothing from your hands, the mirrors, nothing. They did an excellent job on the new bodywork. Sounds just like sitting in the parking lot and revving the engine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Does well on the highway especially when you lean in a little..but like trapper says, wind noise? it is a moto..ride safe..

·
Registered
681 Posts
Everyone is having trouble nailing down delivery dates. I put my deposit down a month ago and I still don't have a date. No big deal. The bike is second to none. It's worth the wait.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wind noise is extreme, nothing like you describe for your ninja/screen. The noise is fine if you are all the way down on the tank. If you sit up it's extreme, definitely worse than a naked bike. YMMV

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aerodynamics

what is your opinion of the wind noise, now that you've put some miles on the bike?
Wind noise from the CBR250Rs windscreen is an aspect of the performance that serves to force my head lower and fuel economy numbers higher. There is a bizzar tearing noise in the ultra thin boundry layer at the top of the windscreen. If you ride with any part of your helmet in this layer, it is very loud, even through my Schuberth C3 which is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets made. It sounds like a stack of ten sheets of cloth being shredded at once in a strong man competition. And never ending. This encourages me to ride with my head as low as possible, alternating between peeking out through the screen or just over the top as my strength and pain threshold permit. The Aerodynamics are actually very good if you are strong and commited and compact enough to get your head below the top of the screen. Now that I know the unreal fuel economy that I can expect, ducking below the noise makes me feel like the tearing sound is setting up a warp field to punch a hole in the time/ space continuum and all I have to do is find a way to get inside. It is not easy though and should be done with great caution by beginners as you must now shift your chest and butt off of either side of the bike to set up the entry to tight, high speed bends. Once under the noise layer, the wind is very quiet. It's as if the crazy noise was never there at all. I can definitely say that my engine does not make any ticking noise anywhere. The strange gaps in the bodywork that the stylists drew in to make the bike look cool surprisingly don't make much noise either. In city traffic I ride a little more forward on the tank where the windscreen is shaped well to get the wind blast just over my shoulders but with the helmet in clean air.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
The CBR150 in Thailand also has a touring screen available for around 1400thb (Under US$50) which also fits the 250 perfectly.

Have seen it on a few and it looks so so. I don't know how affective it would be though. It's sold through Honda dealers here.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
clear?

Goes over the top of the stock screen? Visibility will be very poor into the sun. I am hoping that Zero Gravity will make something nice for the CBR250R. The stock windscreen is just a little too short.
The CBR150 in Thailand also has a touring screen available for around 1400thb (Under US$50) which also fits the 250 perfectly.

Have seen it on a few and it looks so so. I don't know how affective it would be though. It's sold through Honda dealers here.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Goes over the top of the stock screen? Visibility will be very poor into the sun. I am hoping that Zero Gravity will make something nice for the CBR250R. The stock windscreen is just a little too short.
Yes, it just fits on top of the stock screen. Not too sure if the stock one can be taken off before the touring one is installed.

Never really though of visibility as I don't crouch onto the tank, just don't find the position comfortable. But yes, it's heavily tinted and certainly wouldn't be good for looking through.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wind noise from the CBR250Rs windscreen is an aspect of the performance that serves to force my head lower and fuel economy numbers higher. There is a bizzar tearing noise in the ultra thin boundry layer at the top of the windscreen. If you ride with any part of your helmet in this layer, it is very loud, even through my Schuberth C3 which is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets made. It sounds like a stack of ten sheets of cloth being shredded at once in a strong man competition. And never ending. This encourages me to ride with my head as low as possible, alternating between peeking out through the screen or just over the top as my strength and pain threshold permit. The Aerodynamics are actually very good if you are strong and commited and compact enough to get your head below the top of the screen. Now that I know the unreal fuel economy that I can expect, ducking below the noise makes me feel like the tearing sound is setting up a warp field to punch a hole in the time/ space continuum and all I have to do is find a way to get inside. It is not easy though and should be done with great caution by beginners as you must now shift your chest and butt off of either side of the bike to set up the entry to tight, high speed bends. Once under the noise layer, the wind is very quiet. It's as if the crazy noise was never there at all. I can definitely say that my engine does not make any ticking noise anywhere. The strange gaps in the bodywork that the stylists drew in to make the bike look cool surprisingly don't make much noise either. In city traffic I ride a little more forward on the tank where the windscreen is shaped well to get the wind blast just over my shoulders but with the helmet in clean air.
LOL, OK good, I thought maybe I was just being a wimp. A screen that gets the rider inside the bubble, would be ultimate!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts