Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Farthest drive after dealer purchase?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  spdklls 
#1 · (Edited)
Farthest drive home after purchase?

Whats the farthest some of you guys had to drive back home after the purchase? I plan on getting a cbr250r maybe 4 hours away. Would this bike be ok for a 4 hour trip back home?

#2 ·
4 Hours is probably a lot especially if you're new to bikes. I would find 2 or 3 spots along the way to stop and rest a bit. Be ready for one hell of a nap after the ride. Keep in mind that you spend more energy riding than driving a car. Constantly balancing, etc..

I drove my bike 34 miles to get it home. I had 0 prior relevant riding experience. I knew how a manual transmission works, but on a bike it still takes just a little practice to get the hang of. Hard to always remember what gear it's in when I'm used to just knowing in my car.

I had to do a little city driving which made me sort of nervous for the first few miles, but then the last 30 miles was back country road. Nice and easy! I could've made it 4 hours driving on the roads I was on, but I would've looked for a country store or two to stop at along the way.

Good luck!

#3 ·
When I took my MSF class, the instructor told us about one of his students from a couple years ago. She bought a Ninja 250 online in Florida and rode it all the way back home. To Michigan. With her mother riding pillion. And then once home she decided to take the MSF class.

#4 ·
If you're new to riding, I would try to arrange a delivery or pick-up. Four hours is a bit much unless you have some experience under your belt. Seems like tempting fate to me. Surely you know someone with a truck who can be adequately bribed.

#6 ·
You can ride it home. The bike won't care though it may feel like it is running weak for the first half hour. As long as you stay away from redline and full throttle and try to vary the rpm some. I rode mine 160 miles to get home. Your first few tanks will have poor fuel economy also so plan your fuel stops every hundred miles to keep from running low and to take a rest. It is also good for break in if you stop long enough for the engine to cool down so it can heat cycle. The nice thing is, when you get home, your break in will be almost done so you can soon quit babying it and ride it like you stole it. If you haven't been riding much, don't underestimate how tired you will be when you get home.

#7 ·
your supposed to vary the rpms the first 300 miles...4 1/2 hour driving is alot of hwy riding if not interstate i am guessing....would be real hard not to peg it at 7000 rpm and keep it there for an hour and a half straight...I would have bought mine from orangeburg honda in SC about 280 miles from here but no truck and no trailer is why i didnt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.