Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a brand new 2011 CBR250RA a few days ago, and as a first bike I'm totally loving it. Today I went to fill up the tank, and like I always do for my diesel car, I instinctively filled up the bike with diesel. Oops. I didn't realize it until about 500 meters down the road when thing didn't feel/sound right. So I pulled over and shut down the engine. Looked at the fuel receipt and sure enough I filled it with 8 liters of diesel.

I pulled out the manual to go over it while waiting for my friend to come pick me up. Once we got home, I realized that I had left the key in the lock for the storage compartment. Luckily I was only a 2 minute drive away from home, so I quickly went back to retrieve my key.

So, feeling completely embarrassed, I'm hoping to get some good advise from anyone here as what to do next... Is this something I can fix myself or must the dealership purge the tank/lines?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
lol, sory about your mis fortune but that is funny ****! my black one arrives tomorrow hopefully and i cant wait but i have a diesel work truck i drive every day so hopefully thanks to your post it will be forever stuck in my head and i wont do the same hehe

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's sucks! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's sucks! Let us know how you make out.
Suck the diesel out and put some gasoline in and it should be ok.

You might get lucky to make out with the gal at the gas station, though not for me when the dumb tart on the pump put gasohol in my tank. She wasn't impressed when I insisted she siphon it out and replace it with the gasoline I asked for.

My 1997 bike doesn't like gasohol, I had already discovered that.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Maybe go to a different non Honda dealer to drain the tank, lines and fuel inj rail if you are not mech minded.

If a Honda dealer sees it, all future warranty will be out the window.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The fuel can't actually damage anything (except potentially clog the injector but that's highly unlikely) Just drain and empty the injectors fuel line and you should be ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Google is your friend )))
Some good news, its about cars, but same should be applicable to bikes as well:
Google Answers: Accidentally filled a gas engine with Diesel...how much am I out?

Well, the good news is that filling a gasoline engine with diesel is not as bad as using gasoline in a diesel engine. There is likely no permanent damage. The bad news is that you're probably looking at several hundred dollars (perhaaps up to $500) to drain the fuel tank and engine and flush the fuel lines. If the diesel gummed up the spark plugs and filters, they'd probably need to be replaced, but those are minor costs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks everyone for the input.

Today I siphoned as much out of the tank as I could and replaced it with gas. The engine would not start though, so there is probably diesel in the lines. I'm going to get it towed to the dealership tomorrow and let them have at it. Will see how much the $$$ damage is.

Take care,

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think... drain the tank, drain the lines, disconnect the plug and cranks the engine until the injector is blowing air and then reassemble and filler up with gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

It cost $130 for the tow and $240 to drain the tank and lines. Bike runs like new again.

Let's just pretend this never happened.

·
Registered
141 Posts
HAHA that sucks *ss. Glad there wasnt any permanent damage and your back on the road riding again.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hello,

It cost $130 for the tow and $240 to drain the tank and lines. Bike runs like new again.

Let's just pretend this never happened.
It did happen; you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last...... but we can be sure it won't happen to you again! Chalk it up to experience, and thanks for sharing.

A pity you didn't notice sooner. You might have got away with just draining the tank, refilling and been on your way. As it is the only damage is to your pocketbook!

·
Registered
706 Posts
The only problem with this is that the diesel nozzle is physically larger then the hole in the tank. So it doesn't fit in and sit on the bar like it's supposed to. They do this on purpose so people don't put the wrong fuel in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts