Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is just me, but does anyone else find that it is next to impossible to fill up with gas without splashing the tank?

Any tips?

I have tried aiming the nozzle every which way and slowed the flow, but still seem to splash!

Reminds me of standing at certain urinals! :eek:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Stick it in the hole and go slowly..

just like having your first root... if ya go too fast you'll splash everywhere very quickly.

·
1,305 Posts
yeah its like a urinal,

pull back the skin, aim towards the hole and wipe up any splashes after.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most pumps here, not all, have the vapor / emissions (don't know the proper term) seal on them. I find all Shell stations have them. I just pull down the seal / sleeve until it seals around the tank. No problem with splashing. :)

Ya, here in BC we don't have those emission/splash guard thingys. Would be nice for filling up the bike for sure.

I'll try slowing the flow as much as possible, but I think that pumps today are designed to be able to fill enormous crew-cab pick-ups in minutes, so slow flow is just not an option. :mad:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Stick it in the hole and go slowly..

just like having your first root... if ya go too fast you'll splash everywhere very quickly.
I put it in slowly and all the way in. Pump slow and controlled, trying to keep it all in the tank. I keep a paper towel close by to clean up any over spray. hmmm, Aufitt's right, it is like having my first 'root'...except for the pumping slowly part. ;) LOL

And it's not a stupid question.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Urinals and Sex. Reminds me of a joke (which I will try to shorten here): Completely sheltered and naive young man is not sure what to do to consummate the marriage, calls his dad and asks him what to do. His dad tells him "Take the hardest thing you have and put it where she pees" So he tossed his bowling ball in the toilet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
maybe it is station dependent on how their flow rates are? I always use Chevron and have never had a problem pumping gas in slowly. It is only 15L max so not like it will take you hours to fill the tank :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Any tips?

I have tried aiming the nozzle every which way and slowed the flow, but still seem to splash!

Reminds me of standing at certain urinals! :eek:
sorry Squbbles , you asked for it :D:D

the pump is not your pee-pee , don't squeeze it so hard :D:D
jk:D:D

thinks is easier just to carry a funnel :(

patience and steady hands < my advice :)

personally , i don't even get off the bike anymore , just pull up next to the pump , speedpass , gas cap with key on my lap , pump and go

....got it down to 1:20 seconds (just enough time to catch the light):)

...but if you pay cash ..... long delay at the end of fueling cycle ;):(

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just grab a paper towel and place it over the hole once the nozzle is in. Fill her up as fast as you want to and the auto-shutoff will keep it from overfilling. I place another paper towel under the gas cap which I set on top of the pump. Quick and clean.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The evap ones near me squirt at zero or at full blast.

I end up going to the same gas stations to prevent spray. Sadly on my trip I couldn't avoid all the splashing.

My worse was one that I rushed with and gas spilled all over the tank. Cleaned it up when I got home, no harm done.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
For me it all varies on which gas station that I go to.

Usually I will just put the nozzle all the way into the tank and fit it into that little whole down there :)

Then i'll just squeeze it about 3/4 and the splash is pretty minimal, but good advice Mattcbr 250, next time i'll pull that sleeve down all the way. I know it can go down a little more. I just havn't ever tried to pull it down :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
First time filll up

so rode my CBR today that I just got yesterday for like 10 hours around Toronto. I'm in love

Anyways, went to fill her up and as this is my first bike it was a weird experience. With a car, the noooooozzle goes all the way in but with this bike or all bikes i dont know, it barely goes in to the tank and like people said, splashes everywhere. i thought i was doing it wrong coz i'm used to filling my car but with the bike the tip of the noooozle just hits a piece of metal inside the tank and i guess the gas just trickles in.

am i wrong in how i'm supposed to fill her up?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had difficulty with it last Fall (bought it in August).
This year has been much better.
I have relaxed some about it, and I think that helps.
I have the end of the nozzle down toward the main large hole (with the crossbar on it) and slightly angle the flow towards the front of the bike.

rkid052 - I don't know if all modern bikes are like this or not. My '79 BMW R65 was not, but that was a long time ago and was not fuel injected (nothing in the fuel tank except fuel!).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just relax, take your time with the nozzle, and squeeze slowly. I do take longer at the pump than usual because I try to fill it up as much as I can and it can get tricky once it is full.

Other bikes Ive seen, it was just an empty hole not sure what Honda was thinking with this fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
It's just like with riding, proper throttle control is key, with filling up the bike proper pump control is key ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just relax, take your time with the nozzle, and squeeze slowly. I do take longer at the pump than usual because I try to fill it up as much as I can and it can get tricky once it is full.

Other bikes Ive seen, it was just an empty hole not sure what Honda was thinking with this fuel tank.
As mentioned previously the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender are inside the tank and they have to be protected from damage so the bar prevents the nozzle being fully inserted. It is a poor design though.

Regards Roadster

1 - 20 of 31 Posts