Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you guys might have noticed the suspension on our bikes isn't the best. I do suspension for a living and this bike has been bugging me in the suspension department. First off the forks are way to soft and it has improper sag for ideal handling. Honda does this to transfer weight to the front giving you the impression that the front brakes are working really well and to give you a spongey ride. I do ride my bike pretty hard on the back roads are was in fear of bottoming the front end while on the brakes and ending up on my a$$, I have seen this first hand. Our stock spring rate is .490KG. I used a .80KG spring for my weight and installed Racetech's Emulators. I also made new preload tubes to set the sag to the proper setting. That is 30-35mm. All I can say is this bike handles 10x bestter just by setting up the front end. I know alot of you guys are against sticking money into a 4 grand bike but it's money well worth spending.

The average joe price
springs is $114.99
Emulators $169.99
Labor? depends on the shop doing it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Given that I'm not a mechanically-inclined person, but want to learn and understand the value of investments in my bike, what are your thoughts on a fork brace? Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Makes a massive difference!
SS- race tec springs and emulators
Took about 3 hours on my bike.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Racetech.com you can buy springs and emulators through them.
:eek::eek: racetech is awesome :eek::eek:

the support stunt riding :cool:

no passenger but stoppies ;) so im getting what you recommend for sure but im also going to get the sato-preloads

couldn't find a cbr250 model link :confused:
(can you post the actual page where i can purchase) :eek:

and , also what are the g2-r gold valve !?

"Proudly supporting top riders Nick 'Apex', Ernie 'E-Dub' Vigil, Jessica Maine, Kane Freisan, Rome and Randie and many more!"-racetech website :cool:

^ they sold me with that :p:)

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
this is good stuff as i was thinking of doing this myself. i understand the stiffer springs and the emulators but you mentioned making new preload tubes. what does this entail. i read up on the install about how you drill out the holes in the stock tubes. why would you make new ones?

·
Registered
323 Posts
this is good stuff as i was thinking of doing this myself. i understand the stiffer springs and the emulators but you mentioned making new preload tubes. what does this entail. i read up on the install about how you drill out the holes in the stock tubes. why would you make new ones?
You drill through the damper rod to stop it from having any damping effect. BBR is talking about the short tubes on top of the springs just under the part you screw on the top of the fork tube.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Ok. So I assume he is replacing the stock ones with longer tubes as a way of setting his preload? Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought that getting the right springs for your weight and riding style already set your preload. Or is he using longer tubes to fine tune the preload with the new springs?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Digging up an old thread here, I got heavier springs and emulators. You will still need to make new preload spacers to set the sag. Heavier springs or not the preload spacer is what sets your sag but if you have to soft of a spring like the stock one it will take so much preload to get the sag to 30-35mm you will coil bind the springs if you'r an average weight guy.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Use the spring rate calculator to figure out what springs you need

RT - Digital Product Search
That is cool, they are a very good company it seems.

I am upgrading my suspension to make up for the added weight of the Givi luggage racks and bags (and stuff in them).

Should I add an extra 30 or so pounds to "my weight" when doing the calculation?
I wish I had weighed all that Givi stuff before I put it on the bike. Now I will have to wait for Winter.

No pillion - cut off the bosses for the passenger pegs! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stock forks

Here are the measurements of the stock forks. I don't have a metric tape measure. I did my suspension recently and highly recommend this to everyone. I think the ride is perfect and put an r6 shock in the rear. The performance of the bike under heavy use or emergency situations easily justifies the expense for me. I put a couple screws hooks into my rafters and used rope to lift the front. Not ideal but it worked. On a side note I've been studying Twist of the Wrist II, it is a wealth of knowledge.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here are the measurements of the stock forks. I don't have a metric tape measure. I did my suspension recently and highly recommend this to everyone. I think the ride is perfect and put an r6 shock in the rear. The performance of the bike under heavy use or emergency situations easily justifies the expense for me. I put a couple screws hooks into my rafters and used rope to lift the front. Not ideal but it worked. On a side note I've been studying Twist of the Wrist II, it is a wealth of knowledge.
thanks ! the ninja 250/300 spring(same part number) is an exact match rated at 0.65 and a linear type

1 - 20 of 23 Posts