Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, wife just surprised me with a 2012 repsol cbr250. I’ve always wanted a bike but could never pull the trigger. This is my first bike and super excited to enter this new world. Any tips would be appreciated. I’m located in Australia!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Welcome!

First tip would be to get some type of professional training. Learning as you go just doesn't work well on the street.

Second tip would be to get good gear, including real armored riding boots (not work boots) - and wear all of it all the time.

Third tip would be to learn how to really use your front brake.

I would also say to learn how to do all the basic mechanical work yourself. You need to be able to do things like check and adjust the chain and such yourself.

If your tires are original (check the sidewall for 4 numbers in an oval like "2611" - the first two are the week of the year the second two are the last digits of the year) replace them before riding. Cycle tires should be replaced after about 5 years max, no matter how many miles or amount of tread. You want good tires, and check pressures every couple weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

First tip would be to get some type of professional training. Learning as you go just doesn't work well on the street.

Second tip would be to get good gear, including real armored riding boots (not work boots) - and wear all of it all the time.

Third tip would be to learn how to really use your front brake.

I would also say to learn how to do all the basic mechanical work yourself. You need to be able to do things like check and adjust the chain and such yourself.

If your tires are original (check the sidewall for 4 numbers in an oval like "2611" - the first two are the week of the year the second two are the last digits of the year) replace them before riding. Cycle tires should be replaced after about 5 years max, no matter how many miles or amount of tread. You want good tires, and check pressures every couple weeks.
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. With getting professional lessons, is there anything in particular I’m looking for to learn more on.

I do enjoy having a bit of a tinker and have seen on this forum the service manual you can buy that I reckon I’ll look into getting.

I will be checking those tires right now. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. With getting professional lessons, is there anything in particular I’m looking for to learn more on.

I do enjoy having a bit of a tinker and have seen on this forum the service manual you can buy that I reckon I’ll look into getting.

I will be checking those tires right now. Thanks for all the help.
In The States we have the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) that has a Basic Rider Course. The purpose is to teach you the basics of handling the cycle - clutching, shifting, maneuvering, stopping, etc. If you haven't ridden before, these things don't come naturally for most, and proper step-by-step instruction really helps.

They typically provide the cycles - small street bikes or enduros that won't overwhelm a new rider.

It's just a really good idea instead of going to a parking lot and trying to teach yourself. Motorcycle riding on the street isn't very forgiving, and there's no time to learn. You need to know where the controls are and how to use them without thinking in order to stay out of trouble.

Hopefully there is something similar in Australia.

I grew up riding dirt bikes in the 70s, and eventually street bikes in the late 70s, but without learning on a dirt bike I probably wouldn't have survived. Dirt bikes are the best way to learn the basics, but professional instruction is next best and probably prepares you better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey everyone, wife just surprised me with a 2012 repsol cbr250. I’ve always wanted a bike but could never pull the trigger. This is my first bike and super excited to enter this new world. Any tips would be appreciated. I’m located in Australia!!
That is an awesome wife! I would just add that protective gear is at the top of the list. Get the best helmet you can afford. I prefer the full face helmets with or without modular. An armored jacket is another great piece. I was using mesh jackets for years but finally got leather and won't go back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts