Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The adjuster can up with a grand total of about $5500 yesterday to fix my $4200 Ninjette so I was off to a non-a**hole, non-Kawasaki dealer today for a new CBR!

Off the cuff after 2 rides and about 45 miles:

-I like the power/torque. It was strange to reach a comfortable cruising speed and then realize that I still had another gear to go, on the Ninja I was often flipping the shifter for that non-existant 7th gear after I got up to speed. It remains to be seen what I'll think of the engine once I get through the break-in and onto the highway but so far I have no objections to the power.

-The clutch is definitely different. I stalled it the first time I tried to move off the dealer lot because the CBR seems to require a bit more of a bump in power to get moving while releasing the clutch. With the Ninja as long as I was smooth on the clutch in 1st gear I didn't really need to mess with the throttle.

-The CBR engine feels... less free revving? Granted that's just a difference in the inherent characteristics of the 2 bikes but the Ninja was very smooth in the 6000-11000rpm range as long as it wasn't bogged down so the engine acceleration seemed slower and more labored(?) on the CBR. The distance traveled so to speak is still pretty much the same between the 2 bikes in that a CBR will accelerate the same amount from 4000-8000 as the Ninja would from 6000-11000 so it's just something to get used to, neither situation is better or worse, just different. (I just made up the rpms to illustrate my point, wasn't trying to be specific) Related to this is:

-The throttle. I got used to modulating my speed on the Ninja using the throttle but I'm finding that harder to do smoothly on the CBR. Because of its torquey and less "revvy" nature a change in a few rpms on the CBR seems to make more of a difference than the same rpm change would on the Ninja so I found myself bucking around a bit more as I manipulated the throttle on both twisty roads and in traffic. Time will likely smooth that out but this is a "first impressions" post after all.

-There's a clock! Minor difference but very nice to have. Which lead to...

-The console/dashboard/display/whatever... Much more intuitive and easy to read than the Ninjas. I love having a digital speedo, less thinking and interpretating than analog and less thinking is always a plus for me. And yes I know "interpretating" isn't a word, I just like it.

-The brakes. Now here is a characteristic of the CBR that I'm definitely not crazy about so far, the brakes just feel sooo much weaker than the Ninjas. It seems to me that the amount of force needed for a relatively normal but spirited stop on a CBR would have me locking up the rear wheel, crunching the family jewels into the tank, and then doing a stoppie on the Ninja. IMHO with these brakes ABS would be much more appropriate and beneficial on a Ninja 250 than it would be on a CBR. I feel it would take about 90-95% of my strength to lock up a CBR while maybe only 70-75% would be required to lock up a Ninja. I've locked up my Ninja before, it's not hard to do when you're a hothead like me, just ask BKP!

-Seat/riding position. Definitely noticed a difference in the seats between the 2 bikes. After becoming accustomed to the forward leaning, family jewel-squashing cant of the Ninja seat I feel like I'm going to slide off the back of the flatter and more neutral seat on the CBR.

Again, just my first impressions...

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Your first impressions seem very fair. I've rode a Ninja as well and what you say re:both bikes appears bang on. I personally like the more forward position of the Ninja better than the ceebee. You may have to adjust the throttle and clutch, but, all in all that's fixable. Thx for the write-up:D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah the clutch is definitely different. Noticed that right away. You'll get used to the torque. In everyday riding, it is much more useful.

The spongey brakes help on rainy days and things. As you get used to them, you can stop in essentially the same distance.

I prefer not having my jewels in the tank anymore.:)

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yup, sounds bang on. I bought my CBR, took my MSF on a Ninjette and then rode my CBR for the first time and was disappointed in all the "low end torque." It sounds and feels like it wants to die below 4,000. I am much happier above 5,500 rpms and she pretty much lives at 5-9,500.

I bet once you get used to her and take her on some twisties she'll really shine. Honda seems to be really good at making nimble bikes. I rolled with some 600-1400cc sport bikes this weekend and the only time I could hang was in the twisties. In fact, some started dropping back and if it was safe I could have passed a few riders that were slowing me down!

Since you are probably keeping your 250, I highly recommend new suspension (Racetech is awesome) and something that adjusts fuel. I will get Bazzaz and let everyone know how that works with stock exhaust. I think these two things will take care of the gripes I've got...that and about four pounds of rubber to stop the rattling...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agreed OP, the torque definitely makes a huge difference on day to day riding.

I personally found the Ninja’s tank to be more leg ‘huggable’ than the CBR250 and seat height is slightly lower (for those understated in height),

A few things OP might want to note:

- Fuel cap comes off completely and is not clipped to the fuel tank. Can be of some annoyance when fuelling up
- Fuel tank has a weird bridge that won’t let the nozzle fully in and will cause back-spray if you pump too fast. But lucky, you don’t have to fuel often with the CBR
- I found the side-stand makes it lean more than the Ninja….caused me quite some issues in parking spots
- If you’re getting a rear stand, get spools for your bike. A flat-rear stand can scratch that stock exhaust (I should buy some spools but I’m cheap)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed OP, the torque definitely makes a huge difference on day to day riding.

I personally found the Ninja’s tank to be more leg ‘huggable’ than the CBR250 and seat height is slightly lower (for those understated in height),

I am somewhat understated in height so I do notice a slight difference in seat height but I would hazard to say that the "squareness" of the CBR seat makes it feel higher, the Ninja seat is more rounded.

A few things OP might want to note:

- Fuel cap comes off completely and is not clipped to the fuel tank. Can be of some annoyance when fuelling up

Yeah I noticed that when the sales guy was explaining the bike to me, I think it might be nice to have the cap removed and out of the the way when fueling up, the hinged cap on the Ninja was an obstruction.

- Fuel tank has a weird bridge that won’t let the nozzle fully in and will cause back-spray if you pump too fast. But lucky, you don’t have to fuel often with the CBR

Had to pretty much trickle the fuel into the tank yesterday, not a fan of that bar/bridge thingy...

- I found the side-stand makes it lean more than the Ninja….caused me quite some issues in parking spots

Really? If I understand what you're saying I've actually observed the opposite. Compared to my ninja the CBR seems almost vertical when it's on it's side stand. I feel like a light breeze from the left would knock it over.

- If you’re getting a rear stand, get spools for your bike. A flat-rear stand can scratch that stock exhaust (I should buy some spools but I’m cheap)
I'll probably do that soon, although I would really like to just swap out the stock exhaust. FUGLY!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with Sendler. I have not bought my CBR yet but when I was at the dealership a couple of days ago to compare the ninja with the CBR, the first thing I noticed was how the ninja's tank hit me right on the side of the knee. I'm only 5'11". I instantly decided after sitting on both that the CBR is the way to go unless I want permenantly bruised knees.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Sendler's right.

Also F that bike and the sloped seat.

Every time I hit a bump on the way to work my j**k slammed into the tank. I had to get a Corbin for that effect to diminish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just out of curiosity does the older narrower Ninja (pregen) fit taller riders in the knee area better? I know the bike seems a little smaller but I just wonder about the tank for crotch/knee issues?

BTW, nice unbiased review.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My friend is 6'2''. He has a pregen Ninja. He greatly prefers the seating of my CBR and says he's cramped knee wise. The pregen Ninjas feel cramped even for me, and I'm only 5'9''.

Still a great bike though.

Inseam is smaller on the old Ninjas. 29'' or 29.5'' I think? It just feels a lot smaller. It's a bit lighter though.

And cheaper....a lot cheaper.

I will say that the pregen Ninjas have a "meh" suspension. The forks bottom out under hard braking. The suspension is just a tad too soft for my tastes. Other than that, they are pretty bulletproof bikes. You really have to rev them though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm SO glad I don't have "junk" to get squished. lol. Cause there are a lot of speed bumps in the neighborhood and at school. Sounds like a fair assessment to me. At least it's honest and not straight trashing the CBR. I've met some ppl at school who ride Ninja250's and they kinda stick their nose up to my CBR. They say it doesn't have power etc. I don't care but it was kinda crappy for them to be like that. That's why they're MOTO douchebags anyways though. The Ninja only has a tiny bit more horsepower anyways right? I've never ridden one so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
They say it doesn't have power etc. I don't care but it was kinda crappy for them to be like that.
Next time they say that you can tell them that the CBR has way more power everywhere from idle to 9,000 rpm. It is only above 9,000 that the Ninjas make more power. Twisting the throttle on a Ninja250 at 4,000 is kind of like not even twisting the throttle. And good luck riding one into traffic when it is 45F out. The Carbs are so cold blooded.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yes, they are tiny. He really wanted a cheaper bike to learn on. We did some digging and found a very well kept pregen on CL. Owner was a bit older and had done well to take care of it.

They are also way too cold-blooded for my taste. The CBR this winter was a delight. I was out on 18 degree days w/o any problem at all.(Yay for no snow here this winter)

@jkincaid1024,

Don't listen to them, they don't know wth they're talking about. Bashing another bike w/o knowing anything about it is stupid and immature. For general street riding, I think the CBR does a much better job. You really have to rev the Ninjas to get power out of them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I rode a 2008 Ninja 250R for 2 years before trading it for a 2011 CBR250R. It's all about the low-end torque for me. My Ninja would hesitate and stutter during accelleration until the revs were up there. With the CBR250R it's pure responsive power from a dead stop. The torque corrects bad lines entering turns easily and makes for a lot smoother shifting.
FI and low maintainence were a big draw for me also. The big surprise was that after riding the CBR for a while I'm finding I prefer the personality of the CBR's single cylinder to that of the Ninja's twin.
I really don't care that the Ninja was a slightly faster bike. In real-world riding it can't hold a candle to the smooth power delivery of the CBR.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think riding more than 45 miles might clear up a couple of the issues with the differences. As far as breaks, both bikes have a 60mph stopping distance within inches of each other. I have a 2011 CBR and my best friend has a 2011 Ninja 250. I agree that when sitting forward on the seat the ninja is easier to grip the tank with your knees (I'm 6'1") but I can't sit back in the seat at all on the Ninja, I have to sit all the way forward, where on my CBR I switch between sitting more forward/upright or back and more lean/tucked, I can't do that on the Ninja.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts