Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everybody was thinking about the gear ratio setup on this bike. This is my first bike and I was having a blast with it yesterday but I noticed that first gear is extremely short and lacks any power or pull......is this true for all bikes? What is your thoughts about the set up?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can get to about 20 mph before I shift to 2nd at 8-9K.

The gears are progressively setup to go from short to long so that they can get the most out of the engine. You can't get going very fast in 1st, but it is so short that it is easy to get the bike off the line without stalling or slipping the clutch. Yes, the short to long means that you must do a lot of shiftingm but that means you will get plenty of practice. :D

Here are the gear ratios from the Owner's Manual:

Gear ratio:
1st 3.333
2nd 2.117
3rd 1.304
4th 1.571
5th 1.115
6th 0.962

Note that 6th is a true overdrive gear. That explains why there is no giddy-up at 4 or 5K when in 6th gear, it is meant to be a cruising gear and not for accelerating quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Pretty typical for this size of bike. Geared low, I shift from 1st to 2nd no less than 20kms, listen to the engine. Bike likes the higher rpms and responds beautifully. I agree 6th is cruising at highway speeds. Try not to lug the engine, will be more hard on it than reving too hard.

·
745 Posts
First gear is sized for a two-up load on a hill - I usually wind up shifting out of it before I go more than 30 feet. Noticed by accident that on level or slight downhill with a light load, second works just fine as first (not that i recommend that).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes first gear is very short, oncce I am moving I shift to 2nd. I strikes me as a granny low on a powerwagon.

My Dad had a honda shop in the late 50's and early 60s. Had the shop longer, got Honda then and sold shortly after. Anyway He told me that on the 305 superhawk you could chang the overall gear ratios, I believe with the existing gears. it could be set up wide ratio or close ratio. I wonder if this might be in the cbr 250 design. for racing especially this would help, or newbies that need to graduate. Personally I like mine fine, I selected this bike for what it is. I would like a more even ratio, but can easily live with the current setup.

I posted elswhere that I thought a 250 or 350 Ducati bevel drive single would be a fun ride. But then you have to chase parts, modify old supension, I like disc brakes and on and on. the cbr250 is really a fine bike. One thing the ducati 250 at around 270 pounds, no fairing was supposed to do 100 mph. I think Honda is hiding a lot in this bike and more is to come. About the Ducati single, I believe it was 4 speed like most road bikes that size and era, maybe 5 but definately not 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts