Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware this has probably been a frequent thread started in this forum, in fact I just came across a similar thread with 11 pages of answers but all of it was technical lingo I really couldn't put together.
Anyways I just did my first oil change and the dealer gave me the Honda GN4 SAE 10w-40 SJ oil. Now I know the manual states 10w-30, am I okay to leave this stuff in? Will there be any performance decrease? I live in Central WI the temp never really gets hotter than 85 or 90 in the summer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah. Just change it out next oil change.

There's a lot of fighting over oil. My dealer put in 10w-40 as well. They didn't even read the manual. I talked to them after and they didn't even know it needed 10w-30. The manual says both are fine. Just change it to 10w-30 next oil change. Don't fret too much over it.:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe the oils 40 vs 30 have to do with temperature of the climate, you usually want 30 in a colder season and 40 in a warmer season but neither is gonna hurt the engine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's so much angst over oil viscosity, when it's really a simple thing to get the right oil.

In the colder months wherever you live, adjust the first number down if it gets close to or below freezing. Wisconsin definitely gets cold winters, so if you're going to ride in the winter, you'll want a 0w oil. This number can be entirely ignored in the warm months, and going lower won't hurt anything, any time of year, except possibly your pocketbook. If a 10w30 is safe in the motor, so is a 5w30 or a 0w30.

The second number is the viscosity when the oil and engine have reached operating temperature. Too high a number and the oil may be too heavy to get everywhere it needs to get in the engine. Too low and it may be too thin to provide protection, especially in motorcycles where the oil is shared between the engine and transmission.

You'll be fine with the 10w40 in there. It's a bit heavier once it warms up but not enough to really matter.

Next change, use *w30 where "*' is whatever number is appropriate for the climate; or just put in 0w30 year round.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, I'm still definitely learning all the loose ends of maintaining a brand new motorcycle :) My plan is to change the oil every 2k miles, maybe the next oil change I will run the 10w30 synthetic they have at my Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Every 2k may be overdoing it?

Unless you're letting it sit for a while.

I can't imagine changing my oil every 2 months.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If he's got the money and the time, I don't see a problem.. ;) If I were a rich sum'bitch I'd have my servants change my oil after every drive. ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah 2k is way too soon. At the mileage I rack up I'd be doing changes every 6 weeks or so. LOL. The only way I'd change it that frequent is if you're letting it sit a lot, taking a lot of real short trips or just plain beating the balls off of the bike like on a racetrack or something. Unless you meet one of those criteria or just like throwing away money I'd consider at least 5k mile changes. Even the manual says 8k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every 2k may be overdoing it?

Unless you're letting it sit for a while.

I can't imagine changing my oil every 2 months.
you're right, I know the manual says every 8k? that just sounds absurd to me even the guys at the dealership thought that was kinda overkill. 5k sounds a little more reasonable to me, I do a lot of start and stop riding in town so I didn't know if that affects the longevity of the oil, and btw I saw in the owner's manual in the recommended oils section that the oil I used, Pro GN4 (10w40) is listed, so that takes care of that :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think there's a 10w-30 GN4 as well? You're fine as is though. There's pages of oil fighting on every automotive related forum. Just change it at regular intervals and you'll be fine.

I did my first change after 600 miles at 4k. Semi-synth Rotella 10w-30. Pretty cheap, you can find a gallon at Walmart. Will change at 8k again.

Manual says every 8k but I decided to halve it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh hah I feel dumb now, yeah as I've been researching I've seen sooo many conflicting arguments about which oil to use, normally I wouldn't fret over such a thing I just want to make sure I'm not choking the life out of the cycle with some crap that isn't meant for it lol. I've heard that is pretty good stuff to use, the Rotella 10-30. I'll look into that. thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah I'm not going to change every 8k either.. that's outrageous considering the abuse the oil is subjected to by the transmission and clutch. 4k-5k for me, same as in my car. So far only at about 980mi, did the 600mi change at 650 or 700.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Don't worry. People tend to go crazy over oil fighting.;) Everyone has their own 'blessed' opinion.

In the end it's up to you to decide.:) It's your bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts