Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out in the pouring rain today just to see what it was like in case I get caught out sometime. I figured, why not try it intentionally in a controlled situation where I could turn tail and run for home if I didn’t like it. I have also been wanting to prove out the effectiveness of my gear for possible out of town trips so it was the perfect opportunity. The CBR250R handled the weather like a dream. The IRC tires never felt the least bit loose. I stabbed the front brake so hard a couple times that the bike was just shy of a nose wheelie and never got the first hint of lock up. The brakes felt exactly the same as they do in the dry with no lack of power, fade, or lazy initial response. The fuel injected engine always runs great of course. Never a hiccup. The windscreen actually throws a perfect bubble if you are skinny enough to get that low. Rain on the screen was a little hard to see through but riding while looking just over the top creates a clear air area that leaves your helmet visor almost magically dry. My perforated leather Icon Pursuit gloves even stayed relatively dry from the wind management of the fairing. Their fit and control remained excellent and seem to be a good balance between hot weather breathability and protection from cool rain and the occasional bug. I had the outer shell over the mesh armor of my Tourmaster Flex II jacket with the shoulder vents open. It kept me dry and toasty and has articulation in all the right places. The husky cut of the Flex makes fine tuning the amount of vent opening important to minimize the inflated jump suit effect when I sit up to brake. The vents work well to cool off if stuck wearing the outer shell on a hot day, or to blow out any clamminess, but I wish they would offer a slim size or an extra small-tall for us skinny mountain bike racers. You will want to size down if you can with this jacket. The puffed out effect on drag makes me wonder when motoGP racer’s leathers will feature flying squirrel webs that can fold away for speed and then pop open for extra braking when they sit up before diving in toward the hairpin. My Lowe Alpine mountaineering pants worked great in the wet and I was happy to find that my Merrell Moab hiking boots are indeed waterproof.
I stayed out for three hours, hit all three bike shops, and ran into some people I didn’t expect to see who were certainly surprised to see me and my red CBR250R. Too bad the lady on the Honda SH150i scooter in her rain gear that was a car ahead of me escaped up the on ramp to the HIGHWAY! before I could change lanes to join her. The girl of my dreams? Riding in the rain gives you a totally different outlook to being a motorcyclist in this wonderful world and adds an air of mystique about you for the people you meet along the way. What started out as a technical evaluation quickly became the important experience of my first rain ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the nice review of riding in the rain - nice to know and to get a real life take on it - glad to hear the cbr handles well :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
So far I've rode in the rain about 6-7 times.....one day while going to Deal's Gap ,TN/NC to ride the Dragon I got caught in about 4 different rainstorms over several hours while going thru the curvy foothill roads near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge...
I also rode home from work last week in a fairly heavy downpour and your review is spot on with my own. I slowed down a little and tried to brake a few feet earlier but other than that at no time did I ever feel the rear or front tire slip or make me afraid to be on the road.. the only thing that worried me was possibility of hitting a puddle and hydroplaning....
We get alot of looks while out riding our CBR 250R's on a nice day but if you ever want every single person on the road to twist their heads to look at you with disbelief - go out for a ride in the middle of a rainstorm..lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
Got stuck in the rain the other day....... I was cautious but didn't have a problem. Didn't enjoy getting soaked though and I really wanted to keep my bike out of the rain.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dry

The clouds opened up on me unexpectedly this morning. The air management of the bike is quite good. The only thing that gets really wet at highway speed are my toes. Some how, even my gloves get hit with very little rain until I come down into city speeds where my forearms and shoulders start getting wet. I got to work and my pants were perfectly dry.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Got stuck in the rain the other day....... I was cautious but didn't have a problem. Didn't enjoy getting soaked though and I really wanted to keep my bike out of the rain.
i bought a cheap plastic rainsuit on Ebay for around $15 total,shipping n everything...it squeezes up really small and tight ..I actually managed to fit my toolkit (allen wrench in pouch) a small led flashlight,a small tire gauge, manual..the rainfly from my fieldsheer riding jacket, and the rainsuit all under the rear seat.

If i think im gonna get soaked Ill pull over n put the pants n jacket on...the rainfly i use more for when its a bit chilly at night since my riding jacket is 50% mesh...sprinkles or a short rainstorm-no problem..actually feels good after it stops when its around 90+ degrees like it has been for the last 2 months

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thank you very much for the wet ride report.

I'm one of those nutters that likes to ride in the rain (only time the bike gets washed) so I've been hoping to hear some first hand info on how well the stock tires grip in the wet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have yet to put the shell on my flex 2 jacket. I have been riding with the mesh jacket every day I have been out 100 degrees or better at times. I love cortech/roadmaster gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts