Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Hubs and I both broke our agreement and went riding around the neighborhood tonight. I was super nervous but we both did well. No drops or falls. :) Had a lil trouble getting back to neutral a couple times. But I'm proud of myself. And I got over my fear of turning. Still scared of slow tight turns but I did alright for my first time. Had to trust my bike and just lean with it and I was good to go. I guess it's bc I've never ridden but my hand hurts like hell. Sore. I guess this goes away with time? I didn't have gloves. Waiting for them to get here tomorrow. Will gloves help with my hand hurting? And even though it's not hot here bc the sun was starting to go down I sweat my lil head off in my helmet. Does anyone wrap their hair or wear something underneath their helmet? Or do I just deal with sweaty hair? Lol. (female question I guess) No such thing as a good hair day riding. But worth it. Period. ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ Congrats!

Short rides will build your confidence. Once confortable with the slow speeds take it out on a back road and practice shifting.

The wrist throbbing will subside once you strenthen those muscles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So THIS explains the nervousness! No wonder! Slow tight turns..like 90 degree turns at a stop light? Those seem the most challenging at first because the bike leans more there than almost ever unless you ride very aggressively. Wearing gloves will soak up some of the vibration and overall you'll use certain parts of your body you don't use ever/as often so with time it sorts itself out. Guess you'll just have to ride a lot more to get over it..oh what a terrible prescription huh?

As far as hair goes well a good ventilating helmet does wonders and if you have longer hair you an tuck it into your jacket so it stays straight down instead of all over blowing out the black and is protected too(You wouldn't want exposed hair..think of bad possibilities..) Nervousness is half your enemy with riding a bike, as you get over it you'll be smoother and smoother. If you're riding at slower speeds, its hot, you're nervous and if your helmet doesn't vent well your head will be miserable. It gets better as you realize its not the same as when you're NOT wearing a helmet..with a/c in a car blowing on you :p

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Padded gloves help. You'll get used to the wrist soreness after awhile. When my hair was long regardless of if I tucked it in my jacket or not, still had a rats nest. Now, with short hair, I carry a ballcap. If not, I've got horrible bed head:D Good fcor you for getting out. GO GIRL

·
Registered
619 Posts
Don't ever ride without gloves, that's my honest advice. Your hands are always the first thing to get messed up.

Find some place without traffic and practice figure 8s a lot. Getting really sweaty is part of motorcycling, enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you're Flo from Progressive your hair will be a mess after the helmet comes off.

+1 for gloves absorbing the vibrations. Plus they come in handy for absorbing the impact of the bugs ?.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
just press the bar on the side you want to turn. it'll be good. trust me. congrats, have fun, stay safe!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a RF-1100 helmet. Good venting but still sweaty. No big deal. I'm a pony tail lover. My wrist is fine. It's the part between my thumb and fingers. Hubs said it was prob from me gripping hard bc I was nervous. Thanks for the encouragement guys! We are in love. Hubs was smiling from ear to ear. Loves his Shadow. I've got a thin pair or cortech gloves coming but I should prob look into a thicker leather pair also. @live_to_ride, I cut all my hair off last year. It's still growing back. Looks like a messed up mullet at the moment. Lmao. So just a small stub sticks out of the helmet. Low ponytail. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I got a RF-1100 helmet. Good venting but still sweaty. No big deal. I'm a pony tail lover. My wrist is fine. It's the part between my thumb and fingers. Hubs said it was prob from me gripping hard bc I was nervous. Thanks for the encouragement guys! We are in love. Hubs was smiling from ear to ear. Loves his Shadow. I've got a thin pair or cortech gloves coming but I should prob look into a thicker leather pair also. @live_to_ride, I cut all my hair off last year. It's still growing back. Looks like a messed up mullet at the moment. Lmao. So just a small stub sticks out of the helmet. Low ponytail. Lol

Get a thicker pair of gloves with padding in the palm and thumb area. Thin ones wear quickely, know from experience. You will learn this in MSF......when you are tense the energy transfers to your arms and wrist which can adversley affect steering. Purposefully relax and all will go well. Remember......look where you want to go.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Release the "death grip" :eek: Good Gloves will definitely help, but for just a quick ride around the neighborhood, it shouldn't be that bad. You only need to grip the bars and levels lightly, most of your weight should be on the legs, that is what tank grips are for :D

Just take your time and don't try and do something you aren't ready for. Practice will definitely make you more comfortable.

I would also say to never ride without all your gear. At a minimum; helmet, gloves, padded jacket and boots.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 for gripping the tank with your knees. Use you're core-it'll take the pressure off that spot between your thumb and fingers where you press the hardest.
When you turn, three things:
1) counter-steer. Press on the handle in the direction of the turn
2) consciously relax the OTHER arm, or your arms will wrestle for control. Once you relax that other arm you won't believe how easy you turn.
3) look where the turn ends. NOT right in front of you. The bike will go where you're looking...

Good luck... Congrats on your first ride...

·
Registered
226 Posts
:) CONGRATULATIONS on your first ride--you came home safely therefore it's a success!

The nervous jitters will lessen with each ride. Like you, I'm a brand new rider and got my bike 3/16. The first time I rode it I nearly had an anxiety attack about 20 minutes after I got home from an 8-mile journey. :eek: But I calmed myself and made it a point to go out again the next day, and the day after that and the day after that... as long as weather and schedule permits, I ride.

While my fear is subsiding it is helping me be more alert, aware and decisive. I encourage you to read "Proficient Motorcycling" (v.2) and enjoy the journey, one day we'll both look back on our fears and smile at how far we've come. :D

Stay safe, ride strong!

P.S. As for the helmet head thing, I always have my shoulder-length hair in a pony tail and it's still a mess, but I could care less! ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Considering you'll be nervous at first anyway, I'm not sure I recommend focusing on too much but riding. If you have your mind on too many different things and it goes worse. If you're gonna be on a long straight(highway or otherwise) then you can try actually focusing on your abs as the rest of your body will naturally relax. Eventually you'll realize that you won't fly off your bike and your hands won't grip so hard..you probably are gripping hard enough to turn an orange into pulp :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Like already mentioned, grab onto the tank tighter with your legs, use your core to keep you up, not your arms. Your arms should be nice and relaxed, a tense rider is an uncomfortable and unsafe rider...

Also check into these padded grip covers. They may help you out at first.

Most importantly; Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use a head wrap with my pony tail. You can find them at Walmart even. I am a newby too and gloves are a must. Even with them I get the sleepy hand during my 20 mile commute.

Attachments

·
1,305 Posts
on the gloves:

motorcycle gloves are kinda preformed to help your grip also.
don't ride without them, hurts enough falling over when walking..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Find 'Kev Curtains twist of the wrist'. Watch it, then ride, and repeat till it all makes sense. This should help with your hand too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
For tight, really slow speed (I'd say 5-10mph or less) turns you can also ride the rear brake a bit to help keep the bike stable -- They taught this at my course and it really helped with low-speed maneuvers. NEVER the front though as that's an easy way to go down at super low speeds.

Find 'Kev Curtains twist of the wrist'. Watch it, then ride, and repeat till it all makes sense. This should help with your hand too.
Keith Code
lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your ride - consider Kevlar lined jeans for safety. I have just bought some fitted with knee pads, mine were made by RST.
Ride safe.
Cheers
Paul

1 - 20 of 60 Posts