Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my CBR last night, 4960 OUT and delivered about 20 miles. I was worried I might have bought something too much like the 250 Honda Nighthawk I learned on years ago but I soon found out the answer to that wasn't just no but hell no. Fuel injection makes this thing quicker off the mark than the 750 Nighthawk I wound up getting rid of because it was just too heavy and too cold natured in the winter. The little 250 used to feel like it was ready to fly apart when you got it much over 50; at 55-60 this thing feels like it's just getting into its happy place. Versus the 750 I hardly feel like I gave up much power although granted I've been off that for 2 years now. Love the lower height and refined feel of this bike - way more refined than I was expected at this price. Took it down a windy forest backroad and it was a load of fun. The clutch is really forgiving; I thought I'd have a learning curve especially with the bike being brand new but no. You couldn't mess up even from a dead stop on a hill with this thing. Oh and my driveway is a the bottom of a really steep grade and I only let the bike idle for about 2 minutes before taking off.

Downsides - the ergonomics. I'm sure it's just a matter of adjusting my riding posture after having ridden Nighthawks only for 12 years (everything on the 750 is in the same place as on the 250) but my hands got sore from all the weight I put on them. I know Honda was trying to make this bike "fun" but my "dream 250" would have this engine and drivetrain with a larger, more comfortable seat and the foot control positioned forward so the rider is shifted back a bit. I'm not talking cruiser forward like a Honda Shadow, just more "street bike." I'd also want it naked. Part of that is aesthetics and part of it is that it's taking me longer to get used to the steering with the fairings. Don't ask me why but it does something to my steering perception having never ridden a bike with them. The gearing takes some getting used to; I rode the clutch through some hairpins and coming out the other side 3rd would lug a bit and 2nd would jerk it. It wodl be nice to have a little more range in the lower gears.

All in all, lots of fun and a great purchase!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looking where you want to go/be will help a lot with the fairing problem.
You'll soon adapt and be happy to have that fairing on cold days for it's wind protection.
And.. If you're a nutter like me, it'll keep you dryer when you're out riding in the rain :)

When cruising slow in town you can slide forward up to the tank to get your upper body more upright. Of course this puts your feet a little further back but it might work for you.

Enjoy the bike. Eat, Sleep, ride, repeat :D
When you rack up enough miles and start using the higher rpm range the bike is actually quite punchy. I am constantly impressed by mine and it's abilities.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I need to check the manual again; the sales guy told me to limit it to 5000 rpm during break in but I think that might be a tad conservative.
Oh and I should have added that I really like the shifter. On the old 250 you couldn't always feel the thing shift. It was relief, when I got the 750, to have something that went Ka-chunk! when you shifted it. The CBR isn't like that but it gives you enough feedback that you know you shifted even if you just caught the shifter with your big toe - which I did a couple times getting used to where things are positioned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I need to check the manual again; the sales guy told me to limit it to 5000 rpm during break in but I think that might be a tad conservative.
Oh and I should have added that I really like the shifter. On the old 250 you couldn't always feel the thing shift. It was relief, when I got the 750, to have something that went Ka-chunk! when you shifted it. The CBR isn't like that but it gives you enough feedback that you know you shifted even if you just caught the shifter with your big toe - which I did a couple times getting used to where things are positioned.
the gear shifter is adjustable so you can set it to where its comfy for you, i got small size 9's and where it is is fine, my mates got 12's so he moved it and its great now for him :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I remember riding the F4i off the lot, it was my first actual sport bike. I felt as if I was going to go over the wind screen. It took a little time to adjust, I rode it home, two hours away. The RR is a tad more aggressive in rider position. I'm 43, a lot of my friends are either on gold wings or on harleys and most others that comment ask how can it be comfortable. They don't seem to realize I'm not leaning over near as much as I am on a bicycle, and when on the highway, the air supports my upper body a bit to relieve the down force on my arms.

If the CBR250R is anything like the VTR250 in rider position, that'd be just about my ideal position on a bike. That thing was very comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts