Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first trip on the new CBR last week to go to the Iron Butt Association's annual pizza party in Jacksonville. Total mileage was a little over 700 miles over 2 days riding with about 25% highway/back roads and the rest interstate. The bike performed great on the back roads and on the interstate. Gas mileage was incredible (70+ MPG at 70mph).

Bike is stock right now. The only thing I think it needs is some hard luggage and some extra lighting.

Here is the bike loaded up. Tank bag is a 19L Motocentric. Tail bag is the 33L Motocentric roll bag.

And my route.

My bike with a CBR125 in Florida. This 125 has been from Key West to Prudhoe Bay, AK and back to Key West (among other crazy rides). The owner is a great guy and great long distance rider and has done all kinds of long distance rides on small bikes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's amazing... 700 miles in two days -- "Iron Butt Association" is well named...

BTW, where in Atlanta are you? If you ever need another rider for a trip south (and if I have the bandwidth), I'd enjoy it --

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Very cool.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cool.

I hang with a bunch of IBR veterans, I personally know 3 that were in the 'big dance' this past summer. I've done an SS1600

My route:

My stats:

My reward:

Now, who'se gonna be the first to do a SaddleSore or BunBurner on a CBR?

... hum.. I've got no plans for June..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've done the odd 600 km plus day to get some place, but can't say that I would do it just for the sake of going for a ride. I certainly wouldn't do it on consecutive days. Each to their own..... 1,600 km in a day is surely worthy of an award, but not one I will ever be chasing.

The little CBR125 looks well equipped to go the distance. What does it have on the seat?

It looks like sheepskin to me. That has been my choice for touring.

·
Registered
206 Posts
where did you get the visor for your GPS?

thanks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings LD CBR,

Congratulations on your first 2 day Adventure on your cbr. Thanks for Sharing the Adventure. Hopefully, More to Come.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Cool to see Bob still riding the famous CBR125R. Honda should give him a new CBR250R and pay him to ride around the world. The bike could definitely do it.
I agree. Good PR for Honda. Definately worth the 250. BTW....I sent you a pm bout the 125

·
Registered
619 Posts
I took my first trip on the new CBR last week to go to the Iron Butt Association's annual pizza party in Jacksonville. Total mileage was a little over 700 miles over 2 days riding with about 25% highway/back roads and the rest interstate. The bike performed great on the back roads and on the interstate. Gas mileage was incredible (70+ MPG at 70mph).

Bike is stock right now. The only thing I think it needs is some hard luggage and some extra lighting.

Here is the bike loaded up. Tank bag is a 19L Motocentric. Tail bag is the 33L Motocentric roll bag.

Awesome mileage, love that red, white and blue. Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool.

I hang with a bunch of IBR veterans, I personally know 3 that were in the 'big dance' this past summer. I've done an SS1600

That's cool. I'm sure I know them too. I was in the 'big dance' last year also on my SV650.

Here's my SV.

And for those that don't know. The 'big dance' is the Iron Butt Rally. It's an 11 day ride held every other year. Last year it was a requirement to ride at least 48 states with extra points for visiting state capitals or the four corners of the US.

Here was my route for last year's Iron Butt Rally.

As of right now I do not have any plans for an Iron Butt ride on the CBR but I'm sure I'll get to one sometime this year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Cool to see Bob still riding the famous CBR125R. Honda should give him a new CBR250R and pay him to ride around the world. The bike could definitely do it.
Yup still riding it even after doing a bunch of rides on it last year. Not sure he would take a 250 even if it was offered to him. He used to have a Honda NS50 that he was doing 1000+ mile days on. The 125 was an upgrade so he could ride the smallest bike from coast to coast (San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL).

That is sheepskin on the seat of the 125. I've never tried sheepskin but I do use beads over the seat in the summertime for some air circulation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's cool. I'm sure I know them too. I was in the 'big dance' last year also on my SV650.

Here was my route for last year's Iron Butt Rally.

Cool. I see dropped Key West on the 3rd leg. That seemed to be make or break point for a lot of competitors. I was _shocked_ to see some of the guys who ran to Hyder on the first leg. I clearly remember the speculation coming from us in the peanut gallery as to the best points strategy. What's really mind boggling to me is you guys who had to make and adapt strategies on the fly. Especially with the pace you guys were running.

As for the a note to the rest of us here. We are in the presence of greatness. Probably one of the most grueling 'real world' motorsports events in the world, the IBR is comparable to the Dakar in it's extreme.

To give you some idea of the herculean effort involved. Ride a 1000 miles everyday for 11 days straight, while doing mental gymnastics that would make Steven Hawking throw in the towel.

My hats off to you! I don't have that kind of fortitude.

I"m not going to be the first to do a SS or Bun Burner on the CBR. It's pretty easy to pull off on the FJR, the CBR is another beast entirely. I can't imagine doing it on a 125, lets alone an CCC Insanity.

Maybe I'll just skip all the pansy ass runs and try to beat John Ryan's time from Prudeau to Keywest (86hrs!!).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is the bike loaded up. Tank bag is a 19L Motocentric. Tail bag is the 33L Motocentric roll bag
I like your set up. Simple, easy to remove ,and organized.

I"m not going to be the first to do a SS or Bun Burner on the CBR. It's pretty easy to pull off on the FJR, the CBR is another beast entirely. I can't imagine doing it on a 125, lets alone an CCC Insanity
I agree. You won't see me trying it (600miles a day is my upper limit)
I intended to ride South America this year but I'm working on another big project(non motorcycle related) that will delay SA until next year.

Maybe I'll just skip all the pansy ass runs and try to beat John Ryan's time from Prudeau to Keywest (86hrs!!).]
His ride is what partially inspired me to start motorcycle touring in the first place. I can remember being 20 and saying "hey this guy rode from Alaska to Florida in 86hrs; no reason I couldn't ride from Florida to California in a few days"

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree. You won't see me trying it (600miles a day is my upper limit)
I intended to ride South America this year but I'm working on another big project(non motorcycle related) that will delay SA until next year.
I had plans to ride to BC in June, hop on the Ferry to Haines AK, the ride back to Ontario through the Yukon. Spoke to my boss about banking an extra weeks worth of vacation time. Not a problem. Then after I bank about 4 days worth we got talking about it. Seems he misunderstood my intent. Said I couldn't take off 3 weeks in a row. ()#&$&*^&!

South America is on my list. I'd love to ride down the Andes to Tierra Del Fuego. It's a bit of a bitch getting around the Darien Gap though (Google it!)

As for riding LD, this you've already learned. It's only far if you don't go.

Ride on bud, I know you've got the lust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts