Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just have a concern that hopefully someone can alleviate for me, I have my first service scheduled for May 24th, and I am currently at 508 miles, my question is how far over the 600 mile mark can I safely go without hurting anything, or is there a better solution like changing my oil and filter myself and then have the shop do the rest of the service like valve check ect. The reason I ask is because we are about to get a really nice bout of weather and my buddy just bought a bike, I would like to at least ride a little bit :(

Btw I have done MOST of those miles in town, if that affects anything. Thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
230 Posts
How far over do you plan to be? Check your fluids/pressures and go riding. If you are at all concerned contact your servicing dealer and ask them-that will alleviate your concerns. Could always reschedule the service sooner?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to be able to ride it to MAYBE 725 miles then cut myself off haha, give or take a few miles. My dealer is booked into mid June so I was actually lucky to get in on the 24th lol. I guess I could call them and see what they have to say. when did you take yours in?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Hey, I just have a concern that hopefully someone can alleviate for me, I have my first service scheduled for May 24th, and I am currently at 508 miles, my question is how far over the 600 mile mark can I safely go without hurting anything, or is there a better solution like changing my oil and filter myself and then have the shop do the rest of the service like valve check ect. The reason I ask is because we are about to get a really nice bout of weather and my buddy just bought a bike, I would like to at least ride a little bit :(

Btw I have done MOST of those miles in town, if that affects anything. Thanks! :eek:
I wouldn't worry about... I would get that bike out of town and start bringing the rpm's up on it, and break it in properly. Most of these bikes going in for the 600 mile service that haven't needed the valve clearance adjusted, is because they are not even close to being broken in yet. The honest dealers will tell you that in most cases, 600 miles is too soon for the valve clearance to take a "set" and be due for adjustment. As Aufitt says " Ride it like you stole it". Otherwise you may end up paying for that valve clearance inspection/adjustment again a thousand miles from now, when it really needs to be done. If you go to the "Problems and Issues" forum, you'll see all sorts of nonsence posted about rattles, shifting etc... you name it, it's there. Most of those bikes have been babied. Ride that bike like it's meant to be ridden, and you won't have to join that crowd.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just put mine in the shop, yesterday. I did kinda baby mine through the first 2-300 miles, but then I couldnt contain myself and rode the dog sh*t out of it. It went into service with 735 miles. Never really had any of the issues discussed here, except the 5k "something" rattle/buzz whatever. I quit noticing that after I installed the slip-on :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep just put mine in for 1000 km service with 1200 on it I asked the head mechanic about the valve issue and said it really is a waste of money this early said he would check and have a listen but any they have done at 1000 have been fine. I was the same for about the first 400 km's took it pretty easy but after that it was on no rev limiter but gave it the berries :) have had no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've got 750 miles on mine, the break in service is scheduled for next week, and I've revved it up to 9k RPM's plenty of times. 600 miles is more so a minimum rather than a maximum, so long as you've ridden it enough to justify the 1st service. the mechanics at Honda casually told me 600-1000 is just a pretty typical range to do it. The main thing is not taking it in too early. A break in service at say, 290 miles, wouldn't do anything.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would like to be able to ride it to MAYBE 725 miles then cut myself off haha, give or take a few miles. My dealer is booked into mid June so I was actually lucky to get in on the 24th lol. I guess I could call them and see what they have to say. when did you take yours in?
I rode until 730 miles. You'll be fine. If you're that worried, stop riding at exactly 600. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Guy's... for what it's worth, here's my first service program:

At 760 miles I changed out the oil & filter, broke out the tools and checked every fastener I could get to, checked coolant & brake fluid levels, tire pressure( I've checked the psi twice before this service), drive chain slack & lubrication, clutch lever & throttle free play. Thats about it. All of this can be done with just the O/M for reference.

At 1200 miles I'll get "under the hood" and check/adjust the valve clearance, and give the whole bike a good look over again.

If you just took the bike in to the dealer for the valve adjustment, the cost should be reasonable. With a few tools and a little time, you can do the rest yourself. You'll save a nice chunk of change, and learn a little more about your bike. That's always a good thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF THE WOMEN DON'T FIND YOU HANDSOME, THEY SHOULD AT LEAST FIND YOU HANDY

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
An idea....probably what I would've done in hindsight but my dealer wasn't busy in December.:p

Do the oil change yourself at 600 miles. Do the chain adjustment too if you are comfortable. Then after a bit of 'riding hard'(I couldn't keep the RPMS low on this puppy, I tried really hard and failed....it was just too much fun)..find a time where the dealership can do your valves.

My dealership charged $89 for an oil change....yep...an oil change...you will probably want to learn to do it yourself if you don't know how anyways. I just ended up sending it to them even though I can change my oil(it's god awful easy. Just go look at the thread with Auffit's pics and mine and the owner's manual if you are curious) just because I decided I'd just let them do it anyways while doing the valve adjustment and I was in a rush to go on a trip.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Guy's... for what it's worth, here's my first service program:

At 760 miles I changed out the oil & filter, broke out the tools and checked every fastener I could get to, checked coolant & brake fluid levels, tire pressure( I've checked the psi twice before this service), drive chain slack & lubrication, clutch lever & throttle free play. Thats about it. All of this can be done with just the O/M for reference.

At 1200 miles I'll get "under the hood" and check/adjust the valve clearance, and give the whole bike a good look over again.

If you just took the bike in to the dealer for the valve adjustment, the cost should be reasonable. With a few tools and a little time, you can do the rest yourself. You'll save a nice chunk of change, and learn a little more about your bike. That's always a good thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF THE WOMEN DON'T FIND YOU HANDSOME, THEY SHOULD AT LEAST FIND YOU HANDY

Mike...you beat me to it.:)

But yes, OP, listen to this, it's sound advice. You probably want to learn how do a lot of this anyways.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wouldn't worry about... I would get that bike out of town and start bringing the rpm's up on it, and break it in properly. Most of these bikes going in for the 600 mile service that haven't needed the valve clearance adjusted, is because they are not even close to being broken in yet. The honest dealers will tell you that in most cases, 600 miles is too soon for the valve clearance to take a "set" and be due for adjustment. As Aufitt says " Ride it like you stole it". Otherwise you may end up paying for that valve clearance inspection/adjustment again a thousand miles from now, when it really needs to be done. If you go to the "Problems and Issues" forum, you'll see all sorts of nonsence posted about rattles, shifting etc... you name it, it's there. Most of those bikes have been babied. Ride that bike like it's meant to be ridden, and you won't have to join that crowd.
+1

Burned up my "break-in," and the thing rides smooth as butter...
By the way, took mine in at 918 miles, exactly...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts