Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first service performed at Honda of Houston. I brought it in with 730 miles. First thing I noticed was the bike seemed to shift a little smoother. It always shifted smooth, but seemed to get a little less precise further a long the break-in period. It functions perfectly now. It could just be me though. Could be the clutch lever having been adjusted. Anywho. Loving the bike and can't wait to put some more miles on it.

They did seem to fill the bike with oil a tad on the full side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah same here about adding to much oil. On level, the oil window is full past the top line. I took my bike at Honda of Houston as well for the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm at 600m but my dealer is so booked, I can't get in there for 3 weeks. I'll probably be at 1000m miles by then.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had mine serviced at honda galveston, no problems with oil level. But they did call and ask if my rear seat flew off on the way home because technician thought he forgot to secure it lol.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nothing to do with oil, probably checking the battery.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
1.6 quarts at oil change for oil alone I believe it is...1.8 quarts with a new filter...my dealer tried to sell me 3 quarts insisting i needed 3 when i bought supplies to change it myself...I think I learned :D them I only needed 2 before I left

·
Registered
426 Posts
Finally got a chance to get my bike in for service on Apr12 with 2100km on it. I did get oil and filter done in Nov2011 at 660km. The only issue i had was after i got bike i rode for a few km and stopped to pick up something. noticed a drip of oil on ground and looking closer the inside right faring was covered in oil. Oil level was ok.

picked up new item (tank bag) and headed back to shop to make sure there is no problem. checked for oil at stop lights on way back. looked ok. Stopped and dealer and there was a drip of oil and oil on faring again but less than previously.

Turned out to be nothing serious. some oil pooled on lip by oil filter that wasnt wiped up. The other thread about oil change here helped me visualize what it was.

was a great weekend and managed to tac on another 600+km ... and lol. was admonished by the service tech. (reminded me of that Seinfeld episode with the mechanic ragging on Jerry about his car)

Said i should check my tire pressure more often. i do each week. but kept it at 29/29 but he said i should be at 33 on rear ( i weigh approx 195LB)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was going to do the 600-mile service myself (or at least my mechanically-inclined handy-dandy husband was going to do it for me!) :D However, I'm reading about valve clearances (don't even know what that is) and sounds like it requires special tools. Guessing I need to call my dealership in the morning and schedule an appt. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I was going to do the 600-mile service myself (or at least my mechanically-inclined handy-dandy husband was going to do it for me!) :D However, I'm reading about valve clearances (don't even know what that is) and sounds like it requires special tools. Guessing I need to call my dealership in the morning and schedule an appt. :confused:
You might want to consider if doing your own service voids your warranty. Once warranty services are complete then DIY is a good idea. Just a thought

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^good to know. Well then, have at er...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you don't understand what you're doing, then I highly recommend not doing it yourself. Adjusting valves takes time and patience and some tools(like feeler gauges). If you do attempt it, get the Service Manual. All the information is in there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you check your own valves & they are out of spec. Then what? Put your bike back together till you get the correct shims? Glad i took mine in, valves were tight. If I would of did it, i would of had to do the math a get correct shims and the risk of dropping one down in the motor. No thanks. Only cost $178 dollars. They got the headaches. Decided they can do my wifes Rebel to.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You can either get a shim kit or measure your current shims and do a shim exchange. My dealership does shim exchanges for free.

·
Registered
167 Posts
never overfill,if you overfill,you can see oil everyday at bottom
of bike,as it escapes through the hoses beneath bike.

And i have checked and confirmed
1.5-1.6 litre-oil change only
1.8 litre-oil+filter
2 litre-disassembly of transmission...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts