Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike to main Mityon dealer, south road Pattaya, for the 1k service. Watched the 'mechanic' from a distance and the only thing he did was change the oil. Service manager came and told me service was complete. I asked did they replace oil filter, yes was the reply. I asked the 'mechanic' where the filter was located, he asked another guy in Thai to show him. I then showed him the filter cover which had obviously not been taken off. Was then told it is not part of the service. I have a copy of maint manual on my phone and showed them it is required, they then agreed to do it and also had to replace the oil again. I then asked about checking valve clearance which is also part of 1k service, oh that is very big job and not required I was told, will take 2 days and they might break something while doing it was also added. I told them I will contact Honda Thailand and tell the Mityon refuse to carry out full service, they are now contacting them to see if it is required, I'll wait for their response.
I asked them about my stalling problem, their answer, I have put too much petrol in and it is flooding into the engine, WTF! Obviously the stalling issue is not going to be resolved by these guys ( he tried to replace filter cover with gasket wrong way round for 10 mins until I told him to turn the gasket round - don't think I want these guys anywhere near my valves now!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took my bike to main Mityon dealer, south road Pattaya, for the 1k service. Watched the 'mechanic' from a distance and the only thing he did was change the oil. Service manager came and told me service was complete. I asked did they replace oil filter, yes was the reply. I asked the 'mechanic' where the filter was located, he asked another guy in Thai to show him. I then showed him the filter cover which had obviously not been taken off. Was then told it is not part of the service. I have a copy of maint manual on my phone and showed them it is required, they then agreed to do it and also had to replace the oil again. I then asked about checking valve clearance which is also part of 1k service, oh that is very big job and not required I was told, will take 2 days and they might break something while doing it was also added. I told them I will contact Honda Thailand and tell the Mityon refuse to carry out full service, they are now contacting them to see if it is required, I'll wait for their response.
I asked them about my stalling problem, their answer, I have put too much petrol in and it is flooding into the engine, WTF! Obviously the stalling issue is not going to be resolved by these guys ( he tried to replace filter cover with gasket wrong way round for 10 mins until I told him to turn the gasket round - don't think I want these guys anywhere near my valves now!).

Yipes. It may be a blessing in disguise that they didn't attempt it. I would do whatever it takes to find an alternative to letting this place near your bike. Good luck!

·
Banned
379 Posts
I've been to a few "Honda" shops in Thailand to ask for the valve check. One said "no need" the otehr "16000km" the other listened and said they were fine. I dont trust these monkies at all.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Try Sumet Honda in Bangkok. American manager (wife owns the dealership), and he deals all the foreigners. Has a CBR250 himself and makes sure everything is done correctly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try Sumet Honda in Bangkok. American manager (wife owns the dealership), and he deals all the foreigners. Has a CBR250 himself and makes sure everything is done correctly.
Cheers for the info, bit far to travel for me for a service though but will certainly contact them with any serious issue. As a side note, bike hasn't stalled since the service and feels less inclined to stall also, fingers crossed this issue may have gone away on my bike.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Cheers for the info, bit far to travel for me for a service though but will certainly contact them with any serious issue. As a side note, bike hasn't stalled since the service and feels less inclined to stall also, fingers crossed this issue may have gone away on my bike.
several of us have had a stalling issue including me (mine only did it once) what we all seem to have in common is it did it while the bike was still relatively new and then magically quit once some miles were logged on it..so hopefully yours is finished doing that too....and I wouldnt let those guys ever work on my cbr again if I was you...not only are they incompetent, they are bold faced liars as well.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
With the sentiments expressed by some expats living in Thailand, I start to wonder why they bother staying?

Having lived here off and on for more than a third of the past thirty years, I know that there can be some difficulties getting a decent job done, but I also know that you can get around such problems...... and I know that the same problems can occur elsewhere.

One of the reasons I have come to prefer small, simple motorcycles, and vehicles in general, is that I can maintain them myself using basic tools.

I took the first motorcycle I owned in for servicing in Christchurch, New Zealand. It came back running worse than when it went in, so I bought a few tools and started doing routine maintenance myself.

Here in Phuket I don't have the facilities available, so I have found a guy in a small workshop who knows his stuff, and he knows that I know what I am talking about...... no problems. It helps to speak the language, but everywhere the customer should be aware.

Still, there are some cowboys about, and not just the little guys. I have heard that the big dealer in Pattaya leaves a bit to be desired, but they have a monopoly in the area. You could be better to find some small owner operated repair shop, where the guy knows his stuff, and is prepared to learn when necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the sentiments expressed by some expats living in Thailand, I start to wonder why they bother staying?

Having lived here off and on for more than a third of the past thirty years, I know that there can be some difficulties getting a decent job done, but I also know that you can get around such problems...... and I know that the same problems can occur elsewhere.

One of the reasons I have come to prefer small, simple motorcycles, and vehicles in general, is that I can maintain them myself using basic tools.

I took the first motorcycle I owned in for servicing in Christchurch, New Zealand. It came back running worse than when it went in, so I bought a few tools and started doing routine maintenance myself.

Here in Phuket I don't have the facilities available, so I have found a guy in a small workshop who knows his stuff, and he knows that I know what I am talking about...... no problems. It helps to speak the language, but everywhere the customer should be aware.

Still, there are some cowboys about, and not just the little guys. I have heard that the big dealer in Pattaya leaves a bit to be desired, but they have a monopoly in the area. You could be better to find some small owner operated repair shop, where the guy knows his stuff, and is prepared to learn when necessary.
Yup, agree with this. I lived here for 17 years and fully expected them to screw up even a simple service. My OP was more of a warning to others to be very vigilant when you put your bike in to get any work done, even to a main dealer. I also fully appreciate they get paid relatively buttons compared with westerners so I can sympathise with them. Still a tad frustrating at times though.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
I also fully appreciate they get paid relatively buttons compared with westerners so I can sympathise with them.
I don't agree with this.

These are Honda mechanics employed by Honda.

It doesn't matter if it's Honda Japan and they're being paid in Yen, AP Honda in Thailand and they're getting paid in Baht, or Honda America and they're getting paid in 3rd World Dollars.

Every Honda mechanic that is trained to work on the bike should be trained to the same standard, regardless of where they are in the World.

Of course they probably did receive the same level of training as in real countries, but you know, you can't teach an old monkey new tricks.

Making excuses for Honda service employees and mechanics because of country and income is a load of crap. If local monkeys are unable to learn because of their culture then **** them out and get people who are capable of learning in... such as Cambodians for example.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Even Here in the developing nation of USA, at any dealership, not all mechanics are factory trained. I dont think all (car or motorcyle) manufacturers rule private dealerships with an iron fist, they want an outlet to sell their product, and llet the outlet deal with the public. It is a tough lesson to learn, and I learned it at a suzuki dealer. Also you could send some mehanics to a factory school, and they would eat the books. Here Gene Berg was a pretty famous VW builder (air cooled). And he always said you have to do your own work, nobody cares about your machine like you do. The he would help you all the way IF you followed his instructions. He was one of those independents. He sold parts, would not work on your vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Call your local honda rep and report that dealership. make sure they are not an 'authorized' dealer. they are obviously clueless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call your local honda rep and report that dealership. make sure they are not an 'authorized' dealer. they are obviously clueless.
They are the only Honda dealer in this area, sometimes in Thailand it is best not to cause too much trouble with these kinda people, if you understand where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I asked them about my stalling problem, their answer, I have put too much petrol in and it is flooding into the engine, WTF!
Flooding a fuel injected engine? You got skillz!

As for the stalling problem are you sure its not the kickstand switch? Some people have indicated that the switch is sensing the kickstand being down and shuts the engine off even though the kickstand is not down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't agree with this.

These are Honda mechanics employed by Honda.
Are you sure? I do not know how it is done there but in the US they are independently owned dealerships. They pay to use the Honda name and logo and sell their products but the dealership is not owned by Honda.

Many McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, and other places are similar as well. It is quite common to do franchises that way - especially with vehicles.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
AP Honda (Thai Honda) franchise the dealerships. Upon release of the CBR250R EVERY dealership had to send one mechanic to their special training course. To continue their franchise they have to have one mechanic that is trained to work on EVERY bike that is sold by AP Honda.

It is unfortunate that the average Thai hasn't got the intelligence to both pick his nose and think at the same time, but that is not an excuse for Honda, and AP Honda to have mechanics that cannot, and do not do their job.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts