Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was just wondering if it would be best to get my first service done now, before I store it for winter, or if I should just wait until spring. My ceebee has about 550 miles on it now. If I were to get the service done before the snow flies I would probably be close to 600 but not quite there yet.

Thanks, Luke

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would. For two reasons: 1st I read that that some guys do oil change before winterizing it and 2nd once winter is over - you'll be ready and can just start riding.

You can also ask him the mechanic you are storing it for the winter so he can give you some other tips. I read a post maybe same guy that he adds something in the fuel when not driving for a long time like winter time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get it done before. +-50 miles won't matter. Clean oil, all adjustments to factory specs. Just fill it with gas,put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and you are all set for winter. In the spring, just check the air in the tires and ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do it now, tell your shop you're putting it away, and ask for any tips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your quick responses guys. Now if I could only get someone to let me know how loud the (expletive) M4 titanium exhaust will be. I understand this is America, but I don't need the Super Troopers following me around everywhere! Cops here are not exactly the most intelligent or professional. I once saw an idiot county boy unload his entire ten shot clip into a 90 pound deer which had been hit by a motorist. At that point I had lost any respect I had left (which wasn't much) for LEO's.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yes - as noted, you always want clean oil for storage. Add stabilizer to the gas (always use Ethanol-free gas if poss, even if it has to be Premium) and ride for at least 10 min to make sure it gets to the injectors. Fill the tank to the top. Don't start the engine over the winter to "warm it up" - you are just contaminating the clean oil that's coating the engine's internals and protecting them from corrosion.

That's Wisconsin - cops everywhere around here (Madison area). At least there are a ton of Harleys around there to keep them busy if they want to pinch someone for an obnoxious exhaust. My SV's slip-on is moderately loud when I'm on it, but otherwise it's pretty moderate.

Jay

·
Registered
36 Posts
bump. i've gone 1800km without doing my first service... should I do the first service, then put it away?

what's the bare minimum i need to do to winterize it?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Buy the manual and do it yourself.

Add stabilizer to the gas when you fill it up and then ride it home. A couple of battery boosts (I use a battery tender jr. on our bikes, but just for a few hours) during the winter will keep the battery fine.

I grew up in Madison and didn't find the cops all that kind. When I was 17 I lost the brakes on a Crosley (I had just serviced those early disc brakes, so the fault was truly mine) on the square and was ticketed for reckless driving. I had to have a letter from the head of the place that they towed it to stating that the master cylinder was empty in order to beat the ticket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts