Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Only for fun (not on highways)

Votes: 32 46.4%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today, I decided to figure out how to wheelie. I did it on an abandoned country road, and I finally figured out to just pop the clutch. I did 3 today with the first being only a about half a foot and the 3rd being at about a 70 degree angle. Thoughts? Your first wheelie?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wheelies are dumb. Period. They serve no purpose other than to show off. A friend of mine used to do them all the time around me... I don't ride with him anymore cause I was actually embarrassed to be seen with him.
Also, it perpetuates the idea that owning a bike is just to "be cool". I hate when I ride by a group of younger kids and they do that stupid wheelie sign with their hands. It very sad at such a young age they already have a very poor perception of what riding a motorcycle is all about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I knew I could do one and not break anything I'd do it for fun in an isolated place. I used to wheelie wheelchairs and ride around in 2 wheels but that was many years ago and now I am more responsible and realistic about risks and costs. I bought my 250 specifically because I knew I couldn't wheelie without trying really hard. I don't like the stereo types with sports bikes and wheelies definately Are a negative one

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
I pop wheelies on my four wheeler all the time, because of the rush and the control it teaches me over my throttle. The only reason I ever do it with someone else present is for my own safety (I always wear a helmet). Would I ever do it on a bike in public? No, not unless it was motocross related.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think wheelies are cool! NOT on the highway, or actually not in traffic of any kind. Then they are scary. When I'm in my car and some guy comes screaming past me on a wheelie, it gives me a mild heart attack.

With that said- I still want to do one in a controlled environment.

I've watched the tutorials on YouTube and have tried a little bit in a parking lot. In first gear I took the RPMs to about 7,000-8,000, popped the clutch, gave it gas, and...nothing. I'm thinking I would have to give the bike more of a "push off" for lack of a better expression?

What advice do you have?

BTW Mongoose, what's the wheelie hand sign?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I pop wheelies on my four wheeler all the time, because of the rush and the control it teaches me over my throttle. The only reason I ever do it with someone else present is for my own safety (I always wear a helmet). Would I ever do it on a bike in public? No, not unless it was motocross related.
I don't believe that wheelies belong on the street, but knowing how to pop one and control it isn't a bad thing.

Knowing what happens when the front wheel comes off the ground can keep you from doing something like jamming on the brakes, or twisting the throttle wide open...

Reactions: Jme250RA and jayuup

·
Registered
272 Posts
If I didn't know how to at least make the bike wheelie, How am I supposed to prevent against it, let alone know how to handle it/react if/when I accidentally do it? I hardly fault someone from wanting to learn how. However I still feel a wheelie is a squid thing to do, but if you must do it, at least have a purpose greater than "I think its soo cool."

Kind of like CA Superbike school with the slide rig (if I remember twist of the wrist 2). They intentionally put you through a turn intended to make you slide so you know what it feels like and how to correct for it. Now a wheelie isn't the same (training wise) as learning to recover from traction loss in the rear wheel, but certainly having done it makes you less likely to freak out when it happens on accident (if not now, later in life on a different bike).

I lost traction in a rental SUV once years ago(totally my fault) driving in the snow (even though I am from Hawaii) but having driven in snowy Nebraska 5 Winters paid off (college) and I recovered no problem. Let off the gas, turned into the skid, found my traction, slowly accelerated back to speed. No way I do that if its my first experience in traction loss.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not a fan of clutch wheelies at all, but I find it cool when larger bikes 'power wheelie' a little bit. I guess it boils down to one is just to show off and can't be good for the bike/clutch, whereas the other is just due to the power to weight ratio of the machine, similar to when drag cars take off/accelerate.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
cbr was great at wheelies, like most single cylinder 4 strokes is easy to balance.

Power wheelies aint wheelies.

Reactions: Jme250RA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to youtube and search for motorcycle crash compilation (there are hundreds of them). Seems like the majority of the crashes are wheelie related.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did a wheelie once.

I had a Ducati 900SS and I was giving my daughter a ride and I didn't account for her extra weight when I was making a brisk acceleration from a stoplight. When I realized the front tire was a couple of inches from the pavement, I thought about what I should do, and figured "nothing" would be a good choice. It turned out to be the right answer, as the tire came back down without any drama, and we continued on our way.

My daughter didn't have any idea it had happened, and her eyes got a little wide when I told her about it.

There's enough drama and danger with each motorcycle ride, without me having to add any more by intentional wheelies . . . .

·
Registered
446 Posts
When making a very spirited shift from 1st to 2nd the front end came up a bit for about a second. It scared the poop out of me since I wasn't expecting it...

But wheelie on purpose? Heck no.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
So its wrong that rode the new cbr 10km home,
read the manual,
checked over the bike,
adjusted a few things to my liking,
then took it back outside to familiarize myself with the balance and the throttle control of my bike with about 14km showing on the odo?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts