Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
The hand is vascularized primarily through the ulnar and radial arteries. The radial passes through the wrist near the thumb, and the ulnar on the pinky finger side. Blood is returned through the veins which generally are closer to the surface but more centrally. You probably are familiar with them already as they appear blue though a thin tissues overlying your wrist on the palmar or anterior surface. There is some collateral circulation within the palm. That means that if circulation of one is cut off, the other can provide some circulation to the rest of the hand. When you put a lot of pressure on the base of the hand (resting the weight of your upper body through stiff arms on the handlebars) or squeezing tightly (death grip), you cut off some or all of that circulation. You in effect cause a temporary effect similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Foam grips help spread out the pressure to avoid too much pressure on any one artery or veins. You can also help reduce this pressure by not deathgripping and by holding your posture erect with your back muscles instead of resting your upper body weight in a forward lean on straight arms. Larger diameter handlebars may also help. Cold weather or cold handlebars cause constriction of the vasculature as well, so keep them warm in cold weather. Source: I'm a physician assistant student senior.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
the foam grips I started this thread for has finally wore out..I almost bought another pair for $15 UNTIL I happened to find these below on Ebay after many many pages of searching motorcycle accessories..and they only cost $3 dolla and fourty nine cent..total, shipping included

the downside is it took almost 2 weeks to arrive..but hey...if they last one season..its better than $15 for 2 seasons like the other ones...and like the other ones..spray inside liberally with hairspray as well as all over the stock grip and they slid on like a glove..they come in blue,green,red and yellow.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
[long response, bottom line 'death grip' unnecessary
and not always necessarily that level of gripping]..

comfortable is obviously best, regardless of causation..
its not necessary for numbness etc to 'death grip'
as in hold on very tightly, which also causes your hand
finger wrist orientation to be static and unmoving..
even holding normally without undue gripping can
effect your hands when held in that position..
[like numb hand from sleeping with it under pillow
its down to prolonged static position, not to gripping]

reason limbs etc manifest 'numbness' aside from the
direct cause whatever it is, is to generate movement
in the 'numb' limb.. movement doesnt mean jumping
around on the bike or exaggerated or strong movements..
think of caressing something or someone.. movement..
you dont need to strangle them to create movement
and thus massage responses within tissue moved..

no need either to grip tank strongly with knees or
force the coccyx into rear seat stop or make any
strong forceful pressure thru footpegs or other
guards contact points between body and bike..

while there will be relatively more force now and then
as part of normal riding and body movements etc,
still doesnt mean someone is 'death gripping' etc..
there is however virtually always some overgripping
potential, even when it isnt 'death gripping', which
can also be relieved by slightly less gripping..

think of a tense novice gripping the bars,
they would feel that their grip was necessary..
ditto beyond novice riders might continue some
level of gripping beyond their skills level, seeming
to not be over gripping generally, yet a little release
can cause significant differences to the physiology
and process' involved [blood flow, nerve condition etc]
also cold is a factor here, where movement also
helps generate some heat thruout the limb or hand..

if you simply slide forward and back on your seat
you will generate heat obvious thru your pants..
doesnt need to be a big or forceful movement
to generate quick heat.. the physics of it
is consistent and will happen with any friction..

but still, for beyond novice riders [esp if with some
numbing problem etc] try removing the hands from
the grips and placing them relaxed on the tank,
while in 4th or 5th say for momentum..
notice how you dont need to grip the tank
or seat or pegs etc more strongly as a result..

point being that even with a fairly light grip
it can always be made lighter, to non contact..
and it can always develop easy small habits of
movement, slightly squeezing the bars and
releasing them, spreading and extending
fingers, releasing and flexing thumb joints,
easy to straighten fingers over levers
without compromising possible responses..
simply by pressing down lightly on the clutch
lever with the forefinger for eg, will switch on
the muscles used to create that movement..
cont, to simply and easily switch on muscles
activating all related muscles and their joints..

joints create synovial fluid [think of lubricant]
which allows easy movement between joint
surfaces.. so we can move joints thruout
the body within our normal c of g and balance
thus creating synovial fluid in joints ['oiling them']..
lubicated joints move more easily, like lubed chains..

try gripping all joints strongly entering a curve say,
and its like a solid statue welded onto the bike,
rather than its rider, riding it, using movement
to transfer weight and momentum around
the bikes natural movements as it leans
and returns to vertical alignments etc..

one thing potentially beneficial here is for those
with large hands, beyond 'the average', which is
the typical standard for designing things held..
large handed riders could benefit from these
grip width extenders being like average riders
holding smaller than usual grips..

these grips could allow the larger hands to
rest more naturally on them, with less flexure
of finger joints thus more comfort generally..

in karate and yoga [egs] novices tend to grip more
with all joints when performing balancing movements
even stationary forms, resulting in vibrating limbs
around the most gripped joints/muscles..
but they think this is necessary or theyll 'fall over'..
when in reality the more relaxed they become
the less, gripping needed to hold the same forms
and also to allow moving within the forms [kicking etc]
as in riding the motorcycle focussed gripping
is only needed momentarily or for short periods
within a moving unit spreading its energy thru
the body and its controlling movements..

bottom line being to relax, not just in mind,
but as an overall physical reality..
comfort and ease in action..

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Pretty sure there are other causes of numbing of your hands besides gripping a motorcycle's handlebars.

If you're sleeping on top of your hand, the weight and pressure of your head are probably preventing blood from flowing through, thus the numbness.
It's pressure on the nerves, not blood flow that causes it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's pressure on the nerves, not blood flow that causes it.
Pressure on the nerves will produce a different effect than pressure on the vessels. Smack a nerve and you'll get an immediate sharp sting like your "funny bone". Cutting off arteries will starve your tissue of oxygen and you'll lose feeling gradually & get the pins & needles feeling on reperfusion that you get when sitting cross-legged on the floor too long. Carpal tunnel syndrome has both a vascular & nerve component because both the radial artery & median nerve pass through the tunnel. Some get more effect on one than the other. Do a Phalen's test or a median nerve compression test to see if you have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Google or Youtube it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Pressure on the nerves will produce a different effect than pressure on the vessels. Smack a nerve and you'll get an immediate sharp sting like your "funny bone". Cutting off arteries will starve your tissue of oxygen and you'll lose feeling gradually & get the pins & needles feeling on reperfusion that you get when sitting cross-legged on the floor too long. Carpal tunnel syndrome has both a vascular & nerve component because both the radial artery & median nerve pass through the tunnel. Some get more effect on one than the other. Do a Phalen's test or a median nerve compression test to see if you have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Google or Youtube it.

Apply pressure to a nerve & what happens? Your not smacking you hands on the grips like whacking your funny bone. It's the same sensation as when you use a lawn mower that has the blades out of balance , it's not like you mow the lawn with a death grip. Also if you check your finger nails while you have the pins &'needles in your hands you will notice you still have very good blood flow, a lack of oxygen will blue the nails, apply pressure to your nails & see how quick the normal colour comes back.
No disrespect intended dr too be, just sayin.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had Grab On grips on my Yamaha bikes in the 1980s. You don't stay in business as long as they have without making a good product.
I was going to find a pair for my CBR this spring, but these covers are a lot cheaper and easier to install. Sold.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Apply pressure to a nerve & what happens? Your not smacking you hands on the grips like whacking your funny bone. It's the same sensation as when you use a lawn mower that has the blades out of balance , it's not like you mow the lawn with a death grip. Also if you check your finger nails while you have the pins &'needles in your hands you will notice you still have very good blood flow, a lack of oxygen will blue the nails, apply pressure to your nails & see how quick the normal colour comes back.
No disrespect intended dr too be, just sayin.
Yeah I'm tracking. That's why I said carpal tunnel has both a vascular & nerve component & the symptoms are somewhat different... so if you can accurately describe the effect, I could determine if it was vascular or nerve compression or both. Nerve compression symptoms are (almost) instantaneous with pressure. Vascular has a slower onset & resolution. Normal capillary refill is less than 2 seconds. Longer than that suggests poor perfusion. Come to my house for a free head to toe physical exam. Lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
the foam grips I started this thread for has finally wore out..I almost bought another pair for $15 UNTIL I happened to find these below on Ebay after many many pages of searching motorcycle accessories..and they only cost $3 dolla and fourty nine cent..total, shipping included

the downside is it took almost 2 weeks to arrive..but hey...if they last one season..its better than $15 for 2 seasons like the other ones...and like the other ones..spray inside liberally with hairspray as well as all over the stock grip and they slid on like a glove..they come in blue,green,red and yellow.

You got a link to these? I've been looking for them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah I'm tracking. That's why I said carpal tunnel has both a vascular & nerve component & the symptoms are somewhat different... so if you can accurately describe the effect, I could determine if it was vascular or nerve compression or both. Nerve compression symptoms are (almost) instantaneous with pressure. Vascular has a slower onset & resolution. Normal capillary refill is less than 2 seconds. Longer than that suggests poor perfusion. Come to my house for a free head to toe physical exam. Lol.

I wish I could mate, I'd love to see your part of the world, you might even be able to fix my back , do you take Medicare lol ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just bought some blue ones myself! Curious if anyone has tried the clutch and brake lever covers, think it would interfere?
I have some anodised Adjustablelever.com levers on so didn't bother with the lever covers

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just bought some blue ones myself! Curious if anyone has tried the clutch and brake lever covers, think it would interfere?
I'm using just the clutch & brake covers without the handlebar covers. No interference with thin gloves on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In the years I've been riding I find good gloves make the difference. I never get numb hands, and I do mentally tell myself to relax when the wind is extreme and I'm gripping the bars. Next purchase are heated gloves
While pressure-related numbness and tingling can affect many people in a variety of ways, I'm with you, live_to_ride...high-quality gloves and an awareness of one's grip can be the key to success (not that I don't sometimes forget to tell myself to not engage in a death grip :eek:).

41 - 60 of 61 Posts