Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but this forum is pretty limited, topic wise.

I feel like there should be a "feedback" section as well as a "DIY" section.

Anyone have any other ideas that would improve the forum?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I am prepared to write Maintenance stuff thats been repeated over and over if it gets made a sticky most I can just add pics, its all written.
Others can do valve clearances.
Some can do Bazzaz tuning.

'What exhaust do I want?' threads should be banned.. its been done to death.
'Can you ride the cbr on the highway' threads outlawed.

A stupid modifications section for all the useless stuff that motorcycles dont need... I can post my ashtray in there along with stereos, gear position indicators, flush mount turn signals, aftermarket mirrors and integrated tailights.
An Indian bikes section.
A rattlers section
A how to change gears to avoid stalling section.
An owners manual section so we can just refer ppl to with the whole book in its full glory.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am prepared to write Maintenance stuff thats been repeated over and over if it gets made a sticky most I can just add pics, its all written.
Others can do valve clearances.
Some can do Bazzaz tuning.

'What exhaust do I want?' threads should be banned.. its been done to death.
'Can you ride the cbr on the highway' threads outlawed.

A stupid modifications section for all the useless stuff that motorcycles dont need... I can post my ashtray in there along with stereos, gear position indicators, flush mount turn signals, aftermarket mirrors and integrated tailights.
An Indian bikes section.
A rattlers section
A how to change gears to avoid stalling section.
An owners manual section so we can just refer ppl to with the whole book in its full glory.

I completely agree, i was surprised by the lack of stickies when i first joined.

That would cut down on so many repeat posts.

Are there any active mods/admins?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Are there any active mods/admins?
There's Luke, who is probably much too busy removing iPhone ads to post much now. He used to have a bit to say, and even partook in the odd scrap, but now he only occasionally appears. A good moderator shouldn't be seen to interfere too much, and that seems to be our Luke these days.

If there are others they also keep a low profile.

·
745 Posts
Michael, here in the US your post could be categorized as "damning with faint praise". Still, thanks..... I guess:).

Stickies are a source of contention on some sites, with some having many of them that they become much like a "normal" topic. Still, Aufitt, write it up and post it, drop me a PM and I'll turn it into a stickie.

·
745 Posts
I would urge restraint in the "stupid modifications" section - one man's stupid modification is another's dream change. I see the full-dress Harleys and Hondas with the cup holders and stereo systems and shake my head - then a guy and his wife / girlfriend / whatever come out and climb aboard, and it's obvious he's having fun with his version of the perfect motorcycle.

Freedom is a perishable commodity - Most people expect motorcycles to go the way cars are headed, with restrictions on the things you can change. My bet is that in 10 years, you won't be able to modify anything that tinkers with emissions at all, and there will be government "fingers" in anything else you want to change.

Members on here run the gamut: there are people like Michael who I believe (corrections, please) enjoy their bikes but use them mainly for transport and utility and consider changing anything that isn't broken a waste of time and money.

Then there are people who spend a significant amount of time figuring out what piece of "bling" would be their next choice - to them, a bike is a statement and they are constantly updating it.

I think the vast majority, though, look at a bike as mostly complete - we just want to change a few things to make it into our version of "better". For me, that was a tail tidy, windshield, tank pad, louder horn, GPS mount, and a couple of bags. I think black wheels would look good, but not sure it justifies the effort and cost.

I'd rather ride... My CBR is sitting outside my office right now, even though it was a chilly ride in this morning. However, it will be 70 degrees (F) on my way home, and I'm debating starting that way an hour or two early - today could be one of those days when it takes me 2-3 hours to go 17 miles.

I hope you're doing the same.

Luke

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Michael, here in the US your post could be categorized as "damning with faint praise". Still, thanks..... I guess:).

Stickies are a source of contention on some sites, with some having many of them that they become much like a "normal" topic. Still, Aufitt, write it up and post it, drop me a PM and I'll turn it into a stickie.
You are being too sensitive, or too modest

I would have said praise with faint damning, but coming from Down-under some feel we do have an upside down point of view. You have to understand that we do not do gushing praise.

We concur on some topics (ABS for instance). I am probably seen as a heretic by you, and a few others, on the subject of MSF mantras. And you seem to have come around to allowing that it could be a bit boring to always be nice and agreeable with...... well, it might not be nice to mention names.

As a moderator you are doing alright, and staying out of fights to boot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think Honda designed the CBR250 as a bargain entry level bike. I am sure the intended market was younger less experienced riders. I doubt Honda anticipated the interest older seasoned riders would have in this model. This forum seems to have some noticeable generation gaps that are less common with other models. That, combined with the faultless nature of the CBR250, may account for the "eclectic" content we have on this form.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think Honda designed the CBR250 as a bargain entry level bike. I am sure the intended market was younger less experienced riders. I doubt Honda anticipated the interest older seasoned riders would have in this model. This forum seems to have some noticeable generation gaps that are less common with other models. That, combined with the faultless nature of the CBR250, may account for the "eclectic" content we have on this form.
If you spoke to people in Thailand, where the CBR250R was designed and first manufactured and sold, and in India, where it is also assembled, you might find that they think something completely different.

Approaching a couple of million motorcycles a year are sold in Thailand, with over 90% of them being practical sub eighth litre runabouts, costing in the 1,100 - 1,700 US dollar range. At 3,500 - 4,000 US dollars the CBR250R is a bit of a step up market.

However, given the initial supply delays for bikes and parts, it seems that they did not anticipate the demand for a quarter litre bike in the North American market..... which I doubt was even considered much when the bike was designed. There are a few other significant places in the world.

·
745 Posts
I think what's driving sales in the US is the growing realization that you can have 90% of the fun of a typical sportbike at a fraction of the cost. I talk to friends riding the 600's and it's not just gas mileage, although that is sometimes abysmal (less than 30mpg). Tires and chains wear out quicker and are much more expensive. Insurance. especially for younger riders, is hideous. Add in the 3-4 times higher purchase price, and all of a sudden the CBR starts looking like a heck of a good idea.

As fuel continues to rise in cost here (over 200% increase since January of 2009, ~$3.75 per gallon - still much lower than a lot of other countries but a shock to US drivers), my bet is that these bikes will only grow in acceptance and popularity. for example, I'd like to get a bigger bike for long trips and such, but I've already decided that even if I do the CBR is not going anywhere. I took a couple of hours off yesterday afternoon and rode almost 200 miles for ~$10 in gas. Name me another 3-hour entertainment option that you can do for that amount.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think what's driving sales in the US is the growing realization that you can have 90% of the fun of a typical sportbike at a fraction of the cost. I talk to friends riding the 600's and it's not just gas mileage, although that is sometimes abysmal (less than 30mpg). Tires and chains wear out quicker and are much more expensive. Insurance. especially for younger riders, is hideous. Add in the 3-4 times higher purchase price, and all of a sudden the CBR starts looking like a heck of a good idea.

As fuel continues to rise in cost here (over 200% increase since January of 2009, ~$3.75 per gallon - still much lower than a lot of other countries but a shock to US drivers), my bet is that these bikes will only grow in acceptance and popularity. for example, I'd like to get a bigger bike for long trips and such, but I've already decided that even if I do the CBR is not going anywhere. I took a couple of hours off yesterday afternoon and rode almost 200 miles for ~$10 in gas. Name me another 3-hour entertainment option that you can do for that amount.
I completely agree. While I'll never convince my friends of this because they are too worried about how the guys riding 600+ bikes will think of them... Fact is I've had a bunch of them not even realize this thing was a 250 because it doesn't really look like one.

·
Registered
999 Posts
How about making this site work with the Tapatalk app if it's possible?

I'm about a decade late to the smart phone scene but in the last couple weeks since getting this toy called a phone, I've found myself surfing here on the mobile more than on the desktop. It's more of a convenience than an improvement but it's worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about making this site work with the Tapatalk app if it's possible?

I'm about a decade late to the smart phone scene but in the last couple weeks since getting this toy called a phone, I've found myself surfing here on the mobile more than on the desktop. It's more of a convenience than an improvement but it's worth a shot.
That would be awesome, but i think the mods lack the tools/power/money to make a mobile version of the website.

I was looking for ideas that were more "stickies" based or "thread topic" based.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That would be awesome, but i think the mods lack the tools/power/money to make a mobile version of the website.

I was looking for ideas that were more "stickies" based or "thread topic" based.
Pretty sure it would be a simple upgrade. It would cost some money though and IDK if the site has enough traffic to make that much money through adds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts