Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody else have pain on their left shoulder blade. Mine starts to get very uncomfortable after about 20miles. I've tried loosening my grip a little on the left handle bar with not much aid. Maybe its my posture? It is my first bike and I have about 2800miles on it.

On a side note i rented a 07 Triumph Thruxton and did not recall my back hurting at all. My left hand did due to the handle bars being so low. They allegedly remedied that for 09+.

Thats the 07 below.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'll usually get back pain if I'm fatigued and I go for a ride longer than 5 minutes. Then again, I do have a slightly weakened left collarbone area due to a highside 2 months ago. Any previous injuries or back problems?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
only time my back has hurt was when i woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck (crick in my neck) coincidentally was also the left side shoulder area...found it very uncomfortable to ride..didnt enjoy it at all...lasted 2 weeks then finally stopped thank god....other than that I can spend 8 hours in the saddle with no back pain at all

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
New rider. Have lower back pain fairly frequently off the bike. Rode 150 miles last evening and I'm tired and a little sore, but my back never hurt while riding. I try to keep some weight on my feet when I ride. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea from a handling perspective, but I think it keeps just a wee bit of pressure off my back and I think it helps me feel the bike under me better. Lastly, I think (again I don't know this for sure) that it helps me keep my weight off my wrists and therefore my arms and shoulders. That's my 2 cents. Probably ought to get feed back from other riders with more experience and then maybe talk to your doctor. Maybe you have a pinched nerve or something.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does anybody else have pain on their left shoulder blade. Mine starts to get very uncomfortable after about 20miles. I've tried loosening my grip a little on the left handle bar with not much aid. Maybe its my posture? It is my first bike and I have about 2800miles on it.

On a side note i rented a 07 Triumph Thruxton and did not recall my back hurting at all. My left hand did due to the handle bars being so low. They allegedly remedied that for 09+.

Thats the 07 below.
Funny you say this, I get the same pain behind my left shoulder blade as well. I thought it was due to my new one piece that I purchased.

I mainly notice the pain the day after when im changing gears in the truck

·
Registered
501 Posts
No shoulder pain and ive got tendonitis in my left shoulder. First bike ive owned that hasnt messed with my back either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. It only hurts when I'm on the bike. I need to start working out again to perhaps strengthen those muscles back there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I try to keep some weight on my feet when I ride. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea from a handling perspective, but I think it keeps just a wee bit of pressure off my back and I think it helps me feel the bike under me better. Lastly, I think (again I don't know this for sure) that it helps me keep my weight off my wrists and therefore my arms and shoulders. That's my 2 cents. Probably ought to get feed back from other riders with more experience and then maybe talk to your doctor. Maybe you have a pinched nerve or something.
This is true, you don't want to death-grip the handlebars. You do need to use your legs to stabilize your body's position on the bike, it leaves the arms nice and jelly-like so your handlebars take the force of the many bumps and other wobbly obstacles and not your body.

OP, it could be that your body isn't used to the riding position. In fact, now that I think about it I've always had problems with my thumbs in certain positions for lengths of time, and shortly after I got my bike the thumbs started cramping up heaps. It was terrible, but that was months ago, I believe that by using my legs more and (hopefully) a better & more comfortable riding position has eliminated this problem entirely. No more thumb cramps.

(All those years playing console games as a kid, I reckon :p)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do not over exert yourself holding down the handle bars. Gloves, good seating posture and a good core helps out a lot. I usually bike 55 miles 1 way to work on my bike, and the only thing I get is neck cramps from my huge helmet. A usual neck twist helps!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do not over exert yourself holding down the handle bars. Gloves, good seating posture and a good core helps out a lot.
Yeah I reckon it was death-gripping the handlebars, I don't get it anymore :) I think it's about 15km to work from my place, although some days I will go riding up to 200km out in the hills.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does anybody else have pain on their left shoulder blade.
i have this too. i broke my left shoulder when i was a kid and i put it down to that.
the CBR doesn't cause this pain unless i ride full tuck but my black spirit (phantom) and my cbf600sa-8 did even when upright and was the reason i sod them both. the CBR600rr, ZX6-r and the ZZR 1400 are friends bikes which all hurt my shoulder to ride.

if i ride with a ruck sack on it hurts my back no matter what bike im riding, even if the bag is empty (go figure?)

i have put it down to the lean angle and the stretch of my arms. the Honda Hornet and cbr 250 do not cause me pain nor have any 125cc bikes so i put it down to needing a small sized bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts