free spinning the rear wheel.

8K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Luke 
#1 ·
has anyone else discovered the secret to free spinning
the rear wheel while on the kickstand:)
makes lubing chain and cleaning the rear wheel a breeze:D

#3 ·
Use a friend

I had my brother lean the bike over on its kickstand and front wheel, lifting the rear wheel off the ground. Then I was able to spin the rear wheel and lube the chain.

#5 · (Edited)
basicaly a controlled ballancing act.
you need to turn the bars all the way to the right.
also remove the smallest muffler shield,which takes two seconds.
i measured where the contact point is and
an 11 inch 2by4 or 4by4 will work even better.
now it;s not ridged but not wiggly either.
when in neutral you can spin confidently
wiping the wheel.
not the best pix but you can see the jist of it.

#8 ·
For what sellers are asking for a shop stand, I'll fire up the welder and make something. I use to do my dirt bike sort of like is described above. I had to steady the bike with one hand and work one handed, and didn't dare leave it alone or a gust of wind would tip it over.

#13 ·
They make this little 2 aluminum roller piece for like 20 bucks that all you do it roll your bike back onto and it lets the rear wheel spin freely in neutral....I will try to find the website. Cheaper than a stand, easier than the wood and alot more secure....gimme some time, I found it like a month ago but had no need for it

#19 ·
When you use rear stand for service like changing oil. When you filling in the new oil and the bike is on the rear stand . Will the level of the oil give correct reading as the rear wheel is off the ground or both the rear wheel have to be touching the ground like the front wheel to give the correct level of oil when you are replacing the new oil ???

The reason i am asking this i wanted to change the oil and i don't have such a tool like the workshop have..

Cheers....

#21 ·
When you use rear stand for service like changing oil. When you filling in the new oil and the bike is on the rear stand . Will the level of the oil give correct reading as the rear wheel is off the ground or both the rear wheel have to be touching the ground like the front wheel to give the correct level of oil when you are replacing the new oil ???

The reason i am asking this i wanted to change the oil and i don't have such a tool like the workshop have..

Cheers....
i believe it would have to be level, just get
someone to sit on it to steady it.
it's so light i just grab the bars and balance while
looking at the window.

#23 ·
Here's the stand I cobbled up out of some 1/2" pipe, a pair of casters, and aluminum supports turned on the lathe. The 3/4" handle extension slips on. If I'd been on the clock, it would have been cheaper to buy one, but not as much fun.
ImageShack Album - 4 images Here's a link to the pictures.

Interesting, how much did it end up costing you? Also what did you use to actually rest the swing arms on, that chrome piece?

#25 ·
Hi PG,
The only pieces I bought for the stand were the casters, $3.98 @ if I remember right. The pipe and aluminum were in my jun -oops - stock pile. The spools are screwed tight to the stand, don't rotate. They'd also be easily changed for other applications. The design came from looking at ads and was inspired by the price tags. There aren't any dimensions, I used a couple of tape measure figures to get started and just built it to fit, tweaked it to fit right. The pipe can be fine tuned cold. I'll make a front stand sometime, but living on a dirt road chain maintenance is a priority. I clean mine with a dry toothbrush, it's a tedious proces but gets down to bright metal and doesn't wash mung into the O rings. So, if you have tools or access to them, pipe is cheap. You could use a pair of 1" or 1 1/4" pipe couplings for the spools, weld them in place and wrap them in Gorilla tape. Wheels could be as close as the curb on garbage day. Get yer wheels spinning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.