Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this site to find out what you mpg on the freeway are. I'm going to be commuting almost 80 miles on the freeway each day. I need a bike that gets amazing gas due to gas prices and my harley only get 45mpg on the commute. My whole commute to work is 50 miles so it will be 80 on freeway and 20 on backroads. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just filled my wifes bike today for the first time it was with me driving her to a parking lot and her driving around in said lot. Then i drove home, while she was driving around the lot there were a lot of starts and stops and stalling but on the first tank of gas we got 4.3 L per 100 km or 55 miles to a US gallon I'm sure it will get better after it gets broken in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first tank was 72 mpg and second was 64... I was easy on the first tank and I am starting to open her up alot more often now...

·
Registered
619 Posts
That really does sound crazy. I guess you could get 52-57 if you go 70mph, if you keep it under 60, you could get 62-70 US mpg. I think that's pretty fair.

Get a Burgman 650, you'll be a lot happier on your long commute.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no scooter for me i wanted to do the 250r because it reminds me of my old F4i and double r's. I just dont want to add a dump load of miles on the harley and im debating buying this or just buying a used 636 or another double r. I wanted reviews on this because on my old rockets i use to only average 35mpg but i was geared -1 +10. I figure stock sprockets ild be at low forties. But this 250r when i saw it at the dealer and saw the mpg i wanted it i figure if im throwing 4gs on something i might as well get one brand new as long as it will take the freeway use. I found out the job is actually 30 miles back road then 20 mile thru columbus on the freeway. just need your reviews if it will keep good mpg on the travel. It will be only time i use it because i have the harley to cruise and a supermoto to puts around town on

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just got 71.8 about 75% highway or above 50. I thought of you, because at 70 I really have to hunker down. I lay on the tank bag. It's a really strong little bike, but I worry the wind will shred you if you want to go fast. It also has a little back and forth in a big vans wash, but not too bad.

The wind is really loud too and I have to wear ear plugs, and it's still loud. It's OK in the rain, your boots get soaked and your back and some off the back of your helmet. At first you made it sound like more freeway, 20/30 I could do, but I would shy away from I-5 at rush hour, near Tacoma Washington. The smaller highways, no problem.

I think you could count on the mpg that I mentioned before. But it's not going to be like one of those cruisers, it will make you more tired on the slab. GL

·
Registered
619 Posts
You know buying a bike isn't going to save you any money, lol.
You should just be happy with your 45, get a nice windshield, take your lady out to dinner.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got 66 mpg on my first full tank. Mainly 30 mile trips from the dealer to home and to work and back. Two lane roads at 55 to 65 mph passing through two towns and a dozen traffic lights. I made a couple of spurts up to 80 for a few seconds just because.

As long as you don't mind the riding position and remember to grip the tank with your legs, you should be fine commuting 50 miles each way. You can zip through the gears 1 - 5 and be doing 75 before most caggers get off the brake. :D 6th is a true overdrive and not useful for passing, but clutch, downshift & throttle take care of that. :) You shouldn't be afraid to make the single sing.

It's no .6 or 1 liter, but you can have fun riding it hard and still get to work on a gallon or less of gas. I think of my CBR as Conservative But Racy.

I'm definitely having more fun on the CBR250R than I did on my Shadow Spirit 750 DC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i figure gas if i would drive the harley every day will be 195$ at 4.25 a gallon. on the 250r it will be 142$ if i can get 60mpg. Thats saving of 50 there alone. I dont want to put 2000 miles per month on the harley either. I am going to see if they will let me test ride one at the dealer to see if it is as comfy as my old street bikes. Anyone live in Ohio possibly meet up so i can see how comfy they are? I am inbetween mansfield on columbus. But i will be out riding all day tomorrow so if anyone wants to meet up ild love to see how they perform. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts